WEN

Trusted Contributor

I think this settlement is for WEN through Guthy-Renker, and don't they sell a slightly different formula?

Honored Contributor

Re: WEN Settlement

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Gram W wrote:

Very interesting.  I wonder what ingredient they have that no other has.  I have been using them 7+ years and my hair is beautiful.  I have many reasons to have a reaction to a lot of products on the market.  I take many meds for lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism and allergies-many chemicals plus the usual that people react to.  When I have an extreme reaction I try to isolate the cause and eliminate it in my use.  I do not go sueing people.  On occasion I have had to see a doctor to help find the cause.  I get so sick of lawyers that advertise looking for people who want to beat the system for personal gain.   People who are frustrated by unsolved issues can be enticed by the idea of " let us investigate and you don't owe us anything if we do not win".  I handled my frustrations with the other brand products myself but if my child was living the same problem I would be grasping for answers too.  This is going to open the doors for more government controls.  I will be watching.  I hope they don't take WEN away from those of us who love it.

I don't believe there is one. They all have a lot of the same ingredients as well as some unique ones because of the scents. But that's also true of all the others - many common ingredients and a few unique ones for each scent.

I don't believe there's any ingredient or combination of ingredients that causes hair loss. If there were, I think that far more women would experience it. And a settlement doesn't mean it causes hair loss, either. It means both sides have decided that it's easier to settle than to keep fighting in court. Sometimes settlements are more cut and dried than that, but in many cases, companies settle because they can afford to and pursuing it is more expensive and brings on years of more bad publicity and ill will versus settling and getting it over with.

Like you, I've had adverse reactions to a great many products and have never considered a lawsuit.

@ChynnaBlue yes you hit on a good point. Some people think a settlement basically means that the product was shown to have caused hairloss but that is not actually what it means at all. Like you said it means both sides have decided its easier (financially and otherwise) to settle then keep fighting. In all honesty, I am sure that is what the lawyers were hoping for in this case since it would be near impossible for them to prove that their clients' hairloss was caused by WEN and not due to a potential  side effect of any medications they are on, caused by an allergy to an ingredient or  caused by any other health issues they may have. The lawyers certainly didn't really want to get to the bottom of the issue, in other words, they don't really care about making sure no one else gets "hurt" by using WEN- this settlement is a windfall for them and the best outcome they could hope for. But I am sure everyone already knows what these type of class action lawsuit ambulance chasers are all about anyway. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

WHY is it that some Wen users REFUSE to believe that some people have an adverse reaction to using Wen JUST because they don't???  There are peanut, gluten, tree nut, sulfur, penicillan, etc. allergies.  Just because I don't have any of those allergies, does NOT make me believe that the millions of people who do have those allergies are LIARS!

Respected Contributor

@terriebear wrote:

I saw on Google where WEN is preliminary settling out of court his lawsuit for $26.2 million.  It has 2 tiers.  Tier 1 will give $25 to those who have undocumented claims of bodily injury, including but not limited to hair loss, hair damage, scalp pain or irritation, after using WEN Hair Care Products.  There is $5 million in this tier.  Tier 2 has the remaining funds.  There is a cap of $20,000 per claim on tier 2 and it is basically the same thing, but one has to provide documentation from what I can make out.  BTW... The FDA states that Sweet Almond Mint, Lavender, and Pomegranate caused the majority (66%) of the adverse reactions by far. Interesting....

That explains a lot! I used those, mostly the Pomegranate! I won't be requesting any thing, as I have no documentation. If I did, and I were to get the bigger award, I'd donate it to buy wigs for women undergoing chemotherapy!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gram W wrote:

Very interesting.  I wonder what ingredient they have that no other has.  I have been using them 7+ years and my hair is beautiful.  I have many reasons to have a reaction to a lot of products on the market.  I take many meds for lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism and allergies-many chemicals plus the usual that people react to.  When I have an extreme reaction I try to isolate the cause and eliminate it in my use.  I do not go sueing people.  On occasion I have had to see a doctor to help find the cause.  I get so sick of lawyers that advertise looking for people who want to beat the system for personal gain.   People who are frustrated by unsolved issues can be enticed by the idea of " let us investigate and you don't owe us anything if we do not win".  I handled my frustrations with the other brand products myself but if my child was living the same problem I would be grasping for answers too.  This is going to open the doors for more government controls.  I will be watching.  I hope they don't take WEN away from those of us who love it.

@Gram W

probably the darn MENTHOL ...I have used it for all the yrs Chaz has been here at the Q. Thank God I did not have any problems ,but I cannot stand one more wash of  menthol smelling conditioner EVER!!!!

I always  ignored the seasonal (Lavender is what I used mostly) but this past 2 months I just couldn't take that very strong menthol anymore.I never  ever smelled any lavender...so I tried a seasonal for the first time last month and I loved it Smiley Happy  no menthol smell at all......so it will be seasonals for me from now on.

I have a gal of Lavender and a gallon of Cucumber waiting in the wings.I just may give them as Christmas gifts.....lol

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

WHY is it that some Wen users REFUSE to believe that some people have an adverse reaction to using Wen JUST because they don't???  There are peanut, gluten, tree nut, sulfur, penicillan, etc. allergies.  Just because I don't have any of those allergies, does NOT make me believe that the millions of people who do have those allergies are LIARS!

I think most of ARE saying that people who are having an adverse reaction to WEN IS because of an allergy to an ingredient. But if you are allergic to something, it doesn't mean  a product is bad and the company should be sued because YOU are allergic to an ingredient in it. Penicillin is a life saver for many but for those us with an allergy to it, it can actually kill us. It does not mean that I should (or ever would) sue the companies making penicillin or that it should be taken off the market just because I cannot use it. I simply don't use it.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze. I am allergic to penicillin and aspartame.  I almost died from the penicillin.  I went into anaphylactic shock.  Thank goodness my husband was home to put our 2 month old baby in the crib and call a doctor.  He was told to pin me down tight, don't let me move and the doctor came to our house (at a time when docs didn't make house calls) faster than an ambulance could.(They came from next town). I received a shot directly in the heart to bring me back. They told me my body had swollen up like the Hulk and when my mother arrived for the baby she did not recognize me. I never want to go thru that again.  My baby is now 50.  Aspartame turned my stomach inside out in extreme pain.  The doctors had a hard time isolating my problem.  I have not had either since but I would never consider others not having access to those products.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze @ChynnaBlue

Another thing to consider...

If this had gone to a "jury" trial, all those women w/documented proof would have been paraded to the jury as well as the photos & videos of the damage.

Chaz/WEN would not have stood a chance of winning, no matter how many expert medical mumbo jumbo testimony they presented to the jury & judge. 

The jury & judge seeing the actual damage, photos & videos speaks volumns.

A punitive damage award in the hundreds of millions would have wiped Chaz/WEN out of business.  $25 million is a drop in the bucket for Chaz/WEN in terms of a class action settlement.  Chaz/WEN had of better settled out of court.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@HappyDaze @ChynnaBlue

Another thing to consider...

If this had gone to a "jury" trial, all those women w/documented proof would have been paraded to the jury as well as the photos & videos of the damage.

Chaz/WEN would not have stood a chance of winning, no matter how many expert medical mumbo jumbo testimony they presented to the jury & judge. 

The jury & judge seeing the actual damage, photos & videos speaks volumns.

A punitive damage award in the hundreds of millions would have wiped Chaz/WEN out of business.  $25 million is a drop in the bucket for Chaz/WEN in terms of a class action settlement.  Chaz/WEN had of better settled out of court.

You mean all of the photos and heresay that we see and hear constantly now as this "smear" campaign continues? 

You can't say Wen would have lost because of one very large issue that no one wants to face. The ingredient that caused hair loss.....they don't know what it is.

In this sort of case you have to PROVE that not only did the company use such an ingredient but they were also negligent in preventing further damage and continued to sell a bad product. Civil cases are based on proof not "reasonable doubt". 

Any lawyer with actual proof would push and not settle for a settlement. Why? Because the larger the damages awarded, the more they make. Who would give up such a payday if they had ACTUAL PROOF! 

I do have one question as everyone discusses the suit against Wen. Why does no one speak about the manufacturer of Nick Chavez's products using a known carcinogen that's been banned in the state of California?

Edited to include: Cocamide MEA (an ingredient included in some Nick Chavez items sold on QVC), has been shown to include Cocamide DEA (known carcinogen). 

#IAmTeamWen
Valued Contributor

When I first purchased WEN, I used the Tea Tree.  Unfortunately it irritated my scalp after one use.....my scalp was bright red.  I returned and purchased the Pomegranate and had zero problem with irritation.  I like WEN although it has not made my hair look all that much better although it is easier to clean with than regular shampoo.  I still use it but since the hair loss problem arose, I have been using it every other cleansing.