WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME to the 2019 June WEN Chat

I saw the thread on the Beauty Forum and didn't put much stock in it, so I don't come here to re-hash that however, I just received my gallon manufactured July 2016.

Did we all just decide it's ok to use?   Or are we ignoring the elephant in the room?

I didn't take the seal off to look inside, I will before my 30 days are up.   I'm still using a 32 oz bottle at the moment.    Plus it may look good today but how will it look in a 6 months?

I haven't read all the posts here, again, not trying to bring that fight over here, just asking.

BTW I can't complain about shipping, ordered 6/19, received 6/22 in pristine condition

@ANewHue 

@World_Traveler , deepest condolences

Honored Contributor

@software Thank you for the condolences. Heart

As to the gallon and the manufacturing date, I believe the only way you can be assured that the gallon is a current one when you order is if you get the latest scent (Winter White Forest, Spring Fresh Floral, and Summer Melon Mint).

That being said, the gallon I just ordered this month was Summer Mango Coconut, and the manufacturing date is 2016. It does not bother me a bit because:

1. It still smells like I know it should smell

2. The product is not coming out separated (thinner watery vs. thick and creamy)

3. It performs as well as I have always remembered it does

4. It had a seal on it

So, for me it is never a problem. I don't normally look at the manufacturing dates unless people post about it, and then I look just for the heck of it, just out of curiosity. 

I purchased four gallons when I first started with WEN, four years ago, and one of those I just opened up at the beginning of this year. It was fine. I had kept it in a cupboard, away from heat, and it has been great, just like my mango coconut is.

There is one thing I did differently with the mango coconut, however; and I am not sure if it makes any difference in the final analysis. Instead of sticking the big pump in it (which I don't use anyway other than to pump the product into a smaller, more manageable container), I took the seal off and poured the desired amount into the smaller bottle, then tightly replaced the cap. Not sure if that is better than keeping the pump stuck in it, which may allow some air to go back into the gallon, but I thought I would try that this time around.

Chaz is aware that it is a concern of customers and he told me that he gets his product from the same place we do and he has never had a problem. Indeed, one time I was at the salon, I looked at the 613 gallon container in his store area, and it was three years old. He said that they are required to put a manufacturing date on the product. That was sometime ago, so I don't know if they are still required to do that. 

If someone gets it with an older date, they can return it and it won't cost to ship it back. The reason for returning the gallon can state "defective," as that is what the buyer probably feels is wrong with the product.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I won't use the pump, I don't have room for the gallon in my bathroom so I'll try your method, pouring it into the 32oz bottle I have now, then tightly closing the gallon.

I don't use the pump in my 32 oz bottle either.   It has a flip cap, after using WEN for about 3 years now, I know what the exact amount needed looks in my hand.

@World Traveler 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor 

How did the Strength edp work out for you???

Esteemed Contributor

@Tennessee Vol 

Are you enjoying the Love edp and NBT duo? We're you able to detect any similarities to Calyx?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@softwareActually, what I use are Smuckers jelly/jam containers (10 oz?). I get the ones that stand upside down and have an hour-glass shape (easy to grip in the shower).

Because I have a different scent for each day of week, I don't have room for eight (including my first cleanse Tea Tree) 32-ounce size containers in the shower. So I purchased the Smuckers containers, emptied them out, took the labels off, relabeled with the scent I put in there, and all seven easily fit on a wire-type rack that I got from Walmart, and that rack hangs over the side of the shower.

The only 32-ounce containers I have in the shower are the Bella Spirit Traditional and Indigo, plus a 64-ounce (huge, right?) container of Philosophy Lemon Custard that I just love the smell of. I use WEN neck/chest up and the Philosophy for the rest of the body. Obviously WEN can be used for the whole body, but I am addicted to the Lemon Custard.

In the photo below, you can see the hanging wire rack with the eight Smuckers containers of different scents, the 32-ounce containers of both Bella Spirit products, and on the back wall you can see another wire rack that hangs from the shower head, where I keep the 16-ounce Winter White Forest that I can use just for leave-in no matter which scent I use for the day, the WWF oil and remoist; and on the top rack my WEN comb, 613 dry oil, glossing serum, and volumizing spray.

At the right side of the photo, is my big Philosophy Lemon Custard, along with another Smuckers container of 613 CC, which Chaz told me to mix with whatever seasonal I use.

My Clarisonic is usually sitting on the "shelf" between the two Bella Spirit containers.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 7.32.01 AM.png

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@softwareActually, what I use are Smuckers jelly/jam containers (10 oz?). I get the ones that stand upside down and have an hour-glass shape (easy to grip in the shower).

Because I have a different scent for each day of week, I don't have room for eight (including my first cleanse Tea Tree) 32-ounce size containers in the shower. So I purchased the Smuckers containers, emptied them out, took the labels off, relabeled with the scent I put in there, and all seven easily fit on a wire-type rack that I got from Walmart, and that rack hangs over the side of the shower.

The only 32-ounce containers I have in the shower are the Bella Spirit Traditional and Indigo, plus a 64-ounce (huge, right?) container of Philosophy Lemon Custard that I just love the smell of. I use WEN neck/chest up and the Philosophy for the rest of the body. Obviously WEN can be used for the whole body, but I am addicted to the Lemon Custard.

In the photo below, you can see the hanging wire rack with the eight Smuckers containers of different scents, the 32-ounce containers of both Bella Spirit products, and on the back wall you can see another wire rack that hangs from the shower head, where I keep the 16-ounce Winter White Forest that I can use just for leave-in no matter which scent I use for the day, the WWF oil and remoist; and on the top rack my WEN comb, 613 dry oil, glossing serum, and volumizing spray.

At the right side of the photo, is my big Philosophy Lemon Custard, along with another Smuckers container of 613 CC, which Chaz told me to mix with whatever seasonal I use.

My Clarisonic is usually sitting on the "shelf" between the two Bella Spirit containers.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 7.32.01 AM.png

@World Traveler Oh wow that is so cool!..I love all the idea's you have used that work for you..(I also love all those plants!  They would not look like that in my bathroom, (even if I had that charming window) lol

Respected Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@1Professor 

How did the Strength edp work out for you???

@rochelleS : Sadly, it was too strong. Gafve it 3 days, returned.

Respected Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@Tennessee Vol 

Are you enjoying the Love edp and NBT duo? We're you able to detect any similarities to Calyx?

@rochelleS 

I didn't care for the fragrance... to me it was more green than floral, if that makes sense. This is the first WEN product that I returned. It has been years since I wore Calyx, but Love didn't remind me of it. I've thought about buying 613 because I love the scent of the dry oil and UNIBT but I'm afraid that I would be disappointed in it too.

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor 

Too bad, yet I totally understand. Strength does pack a powerful punch that can be fabulous for some, others, not so much. If this scent didn't take forever to dry down for me, it was hours, I would've keep mine too. My chemistry and the middle notes were not playing well together. Go figure, this certainly was a first for me with the Wen edp's. Good thing that we'll have more scents to explore in the future. ♡♡♡