WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Anybody who uses this, does it light up your scalp for an hour or so. Like the hot tinglies, for lack of a better way to describe. I decided to give the product another go, haven't used it in several years and chose that one. Some special that included a mist also in the SAM and a huge bottle of Bella Spirit which if I live to be 100 will probably still be some left in the container. But curious if the hot tinglies are normal?

Trusted Contributor

Doesn't do that to me 

Esteemed Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

Doesn't do that to me 

@CoastalGal 

I used it for the first time Saturday and have wracked my brain trying to remember if I used my Hairmax immediately before which might have contributed to it. Don't know. But in any case it wasn't so bad that I had to run out of the house screaming or anything like that, I can deal with it, and besides it did go away after about an hour. If I decide to give up and try another "flavor" instead I'll pass it on to my granddaughter who experiments with all kinds of crazy colors and such. Her hair would probably say "thank you thank you", it's getting pretty rough looking from all the craziness she tries. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes it could be your scalp was sensitive from something ~ I realy have never had any crzy reactions to WEN ~ some formulas perfom a little better ~ but i also need to like the scent as well 

Esteemed Contributor

I think you must be sensitive to that particular one.   I've never had that happen and I wouldn't continue using it.  Some people seem to have adverse reactions to the product.

Myself I've been a Wen girl for at least 8 years and my hair is short, curly and very soft.  

It works well for me but my husband cannot use it.  He has allergies to botanicals, so you may need to use caution.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Sweet Almond Mint

[ Edited ]

2nd time around Thursday, only got the hot tingles right around my ears for about half an hour. used cold water when i rinsed. next time will pay more attention to make sure i rinse that area really good too. my hair still looks nice though. head feels nice & clean and hair looks full and fluffy and has a little shine.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl 

Have you tried the old fashioned patch test?

Either behind the ear or in the crook of the arm.

Clean behind the ear or your arm at the inside of the elbow, let it air dry, apply the cleansing conditioner and allow to dry. Leave uncovered, check 24 hrs later for any irritation, redness, swelling, itchyness, etc.

The fact you already describe the sensation as "hot tingles" would be enough for me to stop using that particular formula..

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge  No I haven't but I'll give it a whirl this morning, see how it is tomorrow. Years ago I tried the tea tree and some other one I've forgotten and had no scalp issues that I can recall. I suspect the fact that I finished off with a good long rinsing w/cold water is why my entire head wasn't tingly. Probably didn't pay enough attention around my ears. I'm not ready to give up just yet, a few more tries with this particular "flavor" because it does make my hair look nice.

Esteemed Contributor

Just a suggestion, @shaggygirl , but the SAM & TT are both Classics, both have wheat protein.

Could be your sensitivity is to the wheat?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

No Hot tingles here but I had a Very Cold sensation when I went back to Tea Tree after using the seasonals for a while.  Due to the menthol as someone pointed out here once when I was a Wen newbie.  Made a lot of sense but MAN was my scalp chilly!  If your scalp is hot I'd consider switching formulas.  Heat is a sign of inflamation so I'd be careful if it keeps up.