WEN

Regular Contributor

Spf dry oil review

[ Edited ]

Posted this on the Facebook group as well.

Put the spf dry oil to the test today at a baseball game.

Pros:
1. Did not burn at all! Applied before leaving and once mid game.
2. Felt nice on the skin and smells great!

Cons:
1. I have oily skin and this did not help the shine situation.
2. Bugs seemed to like me more.

Still undecided on this.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Greenqueen , wish I had mine. It's finally sunny out!  🌞

Chaz said this will be a little bit heavier than the regular dry oil which sinks right into the skin.

Please tell me it's not shiny and slick like Josie looks when selling her tubs of argan. There's a place for that too, but I don't want that in my SPF.

I bought Tea Tree RTM to use as bug repellent this year. So I'll have a layer of heavenly smelling 613 with SPF, topped by stinky but effective TT RTM.

Respected Contributor

I also got to try my SPF today, even though I was only out about half an hour at most, it's too hot to walk my dogs very long at all right now. 

Pros: easy to apply along the part of my hair to protect my scalp, smells wonderful

Cons:  definitely made my face look greasy, and worse yet, migrated into my eyes almost immediately!  WOW does that stuff sting when it gets in your eyes!  I'm going to spray it on my palms and apply it to my face that way, rather than spraying my face, the spray just travels too easily!  Oh, and I need to go lighter on the scalp, too, it makes my hair look oily. 

I may wind up only using it on my scalp, which will mean I won't use it up very fast at all!

Regular Contributor

@x Hedge @CamilleP 

It's pretty oily.  It's fine for that initial application, because I can apply powder over it.  But if I reapply out, especially after sweating, it makes it more tricky.

And yes!  It went in my eyes pretty quickly, so have to apply with my fingers.  

I'm leaning towards sending it back, unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP Thanks for your comments. 

When he was demonstrating it on the models, I didn't see any running of the dry oil. But I don't recall him spraying it heavy, just light like I do with his regular try oil. I think putting it in the hands sounds like the way to go in order to apply to the face.

I do love that we are able to spray it on the head. When I was on a boat ride in New Zealand some years ago, I burned the top of my scalp so badly that I could not brush my hair easily. I was there two weeks and only the last day was my scalp calming down from the sunburn. This new spray would have been perfect! I just figured my hair would cover the scalp from the sun, so I only but sunscreen on the rest of my body. WRONG! ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenqueen wrote:

@x Hedge @CamilleP 

It's pretty oily.  It's fine for that initial application, because I can apply powder over it.  But if I reapply out, especially after sweating, it makes it more tricky.

And yes!  It went in my eyes pretty quickly, so have to apply with my fingers.  

I'm leaning towards sending it back, unfortunately.

@Greenqueen ,  @CamilleP ,

I've waited a long time for Chaz to put out an SPF product. It's carried forward on our wish list from year to year.

😲omg what timing!!

The UPS guy just delivered my 613SPF.

LEMME TRY IT. BRB!

Esteemed Contributor

First, unlike any other WEN product, the 613 SPF dry oil does have an expiration date, but no manufacturing date.  It has both the 24 month cosmetic symbol and the leaping bunny.     b786385d-682d-4256-9965-0ab73e1d5438_TN1.jpg

GOOD!

Ok, it's a "Shake Well" product, and sprayer has a wide spray.

If I aim it at my arm a third (or more) of the spray was wasted, going into space on either side of my arm.

So spray will be good for thighs, two shins together, décoletté and torso, (back too if you have a helper).

But one or two sprays into the hand and spread onto my arm worked best. Two sprays covered my arm and sunk in.

No shiny arms. No oily to the touch finish.

I didn't try three sprays per arm so I don't know where my 'too oily' point is yet.

I wouldn't spray this directly at my face either. There's a warning to keep out of eyes.

I just dabbed my fingertips into the little puddle I'd sprayed into the palm of my other hand, and transferred it to my face and into the edge of the hairline where I always burn.

Really like that I can spread this SPF from neck, ears, face right up into the hair.

It smells good. At first it was very lemon-y which it's fine, but after a few minutes the vanilla bean & verbena joined in.

No off notes from the active ingredients.

Your point about the re-apply when sweaty holds true for any SPF. I always have a dry terry washcloth to quickly towel off any sweat before I re-apply.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. I hate the stink and gloppy feel of traditional sunscreens.

I'd rather use this than any of the other sunscreens in my collection.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenqueen ,

Did you just spray without rubbing it in to the skin? I went back and put 7 sprays into one hand and rubbed it into the arm that already had 2 sprays. It was literally dripping oil.

I kept rubbing and it all absorbed into my skin just like the regular dry oil does.

Since I already add oil to NIBT, I'll probably be adding SPF to my NIBTs with this.

Regular Contributor

@x Hedge 

Yes, I rubbed it in, and that was fine for my arms.  My oily face, however, did not tolerate it as well...and that is the main location I bought it for.

I guess I was looking for something I could lightly mist on my face on the go...but this turned into something I had to spray in to my hand, rub on my skin (disrupting make-up), then cover with powder. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic.

Just not a match for me. Glad you love it so much!

Esteemed Contributor

I still have some experimenting to do, @Greenqueen . 

I have skin issues mostly on my face from a med I take. The med also makes me photosensitive, so I burn badly very fast in this weak spring sun. I'm leery about only 20SPF.

Has there ever been an SPF for face that can be sprayed directly without disrupting makeup?

Even the dry oil without SPF looks oily sitting on the surface, until you rub it in.

We're having cloud cover all day today.

But my mom never got tired of telling us about the horrific sunburn she got on an overcast summer day. She claimed it left permanent damage on her skin.