WEN

Regular Contributor

@x Hedge 

Ive always heard you shouldn’t wear less than 30spf, so understand the leeriness (is leeriness a word?). 

Ive never used the dry oil, so didn’t really know what to expect. I don’t use sunscreen on a regular basis like I know I should, so can’t say there’s one that doesn’t need rubbed in...was just hoping this would be that way.

Keep us updated on the next few sunny days!

Honored Contributor

@Greenqueen  You may have missed what Chaz said about the 20SPF in one of his presentations.

SPF has, what Chaz calls, a "barometer" of 15 minutes. As he explained it to me last summer, the ingredients that make up SPF last 15 minutes out in the sun on dry skin. So if you have a product that has 20 SPF, which his is, that means it will last and be effective for sun protection for 300 minutes (20 x 15), which is five hours.

A product that says it is 30 SPF would be 30 x 15 minutes. And the same for sunscreens that say they have 80 SPF (80 x 15 minutes).

SPF is the LENGTH of time that the ingredients will protect you IF (and this is a big IF) you do not sweat, go into the water, etc., do anything that dilutes the sunscreen on your skin.

I learned this when I asked him WHY he was only doing 20 SPF and wouldn't it be hard to sell at that low of a protection level. People think higher levels of SPF are the best. I've even seen a product that said it was 100 SPF.

He talked about the chemists he was working with and how they said that anything over 20 is not necessary, and can sometimes be harmful because of the extra ingredients they need to put in it to make it last longer that the 20 SPF does (300 minutes, five hours).

If you have tried sunscreens that have a higher SPF, as I have, you know that they are creams that are heavier. The higher the SPF, the heavier the cream is due to the added ingredients to make it last longer. It doesn't protect you against the sun better; it is just a longer length of time for protection.

Since Chaz wanted to put his sunscreen in a dry oil form, it couldn't be the higher SPF and come out of the nozzle easily and evenly. Another reason to stay with the 20 SPF.

Also, he said since you are supposed to reapply every two hours, and/or any time you have gone into the water or have sweat (which dilutes the effectiveness), he didn't have to manufactured a product that lasted over five hours. The reapplication gives you the additional time of coverage.

Reapplying after the first two hours moves his five hours to seven total hours of coverage, and on and on every time you reapply.

For me, I do not want anything more than I need in a sunscreen. I don't want heavy creams that you have to make sure to rub into your skin so it does not remain white on your skin; nor do I want a lot of ingredients clogging my skin.

Regular Contributor

Re: Spf dry oil review

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler 

I’m not dissing the product, it just didn’t work for me. I feel like I’m on the defense here.

I understand how sunscreen works...I’m just commenting that dermatologists usually recommend nothing under 30. I’m not saying sunscreens less than that don’t work. I bought it, so obviously I was ok with it.

And I agree, I don’t like heavy sunscreens (which is why I haven’t worn any on a daily basis like I’m supposed to), so I’m quite jealous of those of you it works for!

Honored Contributor

@Greenqueen No worries. I honestly didn't think you were talking bad about it. I just wanted to explain what he told me, in case you and others weren't aware of how SPF is calculated. I didn't have any idea about it when he told me. Just wanted to pass the information along. Heart

Honored Contributor

I thought that formula for sun screen was if you have a sunscreen with an SPFof 20, it will last 20 minutes, SPF50 , 50 minutes, that's why you have to apply often and more often if you are sweating or go into the water.I did not buy the product because of the low SPF, although I do use his regular dry oil for my hair and skin and love it.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I thought that formula for sun screen was if you have a sunscreen with an SPFof 20, it will last 20 minutes, SPF50 , 50 minutes, that's why you have to apply often and more often if you are sweating or go into the water.I did not buy the product because of the low SPF, although I do use his regular dry oil for my hair and skin and love it.

No that's not the formula @blackhole99.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

No that's not the formula @blackhole99.

@x Hedge I just checked it out online from various skin cancer sites and no SPF lasts 5 hours and 2 hours without reapplying is pushing it. Evidently the experts do not know for sure really how long these sun screens last so that's why they tell you to apply often and enough of the product. I hope Chaz does not get himself into trouble with these claims about this new product.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry my last post was so abrupt, @blackhole99 . I was interrupted and meant to come back and add to it.

Glad you checked Google for yourself.

I just re-watched his SPF video presentation with Jill.

Evidently the recommendation from the experts is to re-apply sunscreens every two hours no matter what strength the SPF is.

And of course that is if where you live, you don't get sticky, sweaty wet.  Or else it would be even more often.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenqueen 

Just watched a Mally "face defender" video where she smeared oil on her arm and then 'tap...tapped', corrected it in seconds.

Made me wonder if you (and other WEN users who find the SPF-20 disrupts their makeup) would find this useful.

https://www.qvc.com/Mally-Face-Defender-with-Sponge.product.A281070.html?sc=IROA

Regular Contributor

@x Hedge 

Whoooaaaa...I'm quite intrigued!