WEN

Regular Contributor

So about three weeks ago I bought a new flat iron. It works amazingly. Well, it did until about 45 minutes ago when the cord got caught in a drawer and it few off the counter and into the toilet. 

What do I do, turn it on to see if it still works. YES! It works! 

But, what if this is short lived? I should use it so that tomorrow my hair is straight for work. So la la la I start straigtening and i keep noticing that steam is coming off of my hair. I turned the temp down and it still kept happening. 

I thought, well this isn't good. Its not getting any cooler at all. So as I'm on almost the very last strand of hair, I paused like I normally do at the roots where my curls are heavy and it singed my hair right off my head. Luckily it wasn't a big spot, and you can't really tell.  

Now I have to buy another one. No big deal. What I hate is that that whole area feels super dry and like straw now. I put a little remoist on it just to see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to combat the nasty feel? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sigh... I burnt my hair.

@Beautoxica wrote:

So about three weeks ago I bought a new flat iron. It works amazingly. Well, it did until about 45 minutes ago when the cord got caught in a drawer and it few off the counter and into the toilet. 

What do I do, turn it on to see if it still works. YES! It works! 

But, what if this is short lived? I should use it so that tomorrow my hair is straight for work. So la la la I start straigtening and i keep noticing that steam is coming off of my hair. I turned the temp down and it still kept happening. 

I thought, well this isn't good. Its not getting any cooler at all. So as I'm on almost the very last strand of hair, I paused like I normally do at the roots where my curls are heavy and it singed my hair right off my head. Luckily it wasn't a big spot, and you can't really tell.  

Now I have to buy another one. No big deal. What I hate is that that whole area feels super dry and like straw now. I put a little remoist on it just to see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to combat the nasty feel? 

@Beautoxica

Ow,ow, wow, wow!

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

No, I have hair so straight you could use it for a ruler!  But, I would try WEN OIL.  Fast!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I don't use styling tools on my hair. My hair does get dry from using sulfate free shampoo. The only thing I have put on my hair that makes it feel soft even though it's dry is Josie's Argan Oil. My hair is thinning shoulder length & I use 2 drops. 

Honored Contributor

That is awful...hope the rest of your hair that wasn't singed off isn't too damaged.I had a similar experience with the T3 blow dryer.It just got so hot that my hair steamed and I kept going until I realized my hair was breaking off and it stunk.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry it happened to you @Beautoxica.... On both counts - the loss of flat iron, and even more for burning off your hair strand.

I'd like to put my two cents - I (almost) ALWAYS close the toiled lid, whenever I do ANYTHING in front of bathroom vanity - my makeup, putting earrings on, or whatever.... just in case, knowing, if I don't close it - I very well may be sorry.

Another thing, the flat iron is ...... oh, well you know, damaging to our hair even if works properly. I read, and saw the video, how easy it was to do one's hair very straight, using Chaz' Large Round Brush, with his styling creme and with that glossing serum. It comes out so beautiful!

Regular Contributor

I've tried the method before but I just don't have the patience for it. I let mine air dry and usually I wear it curly. @sonechko  I will be cosing the lid from now on, you best believe that! 

@dex  that's kind of when I got leary. the smell was just... bad and I kept thinking, is that the flat iron or is that my hair? Well, now i know! 

I put a little oil and more remoist on the section. If I run my hainds through my hair, I still have hair coming out, so this weekend I'm going to be doing massive remoist treatments. 

Regular Contributor

Also, I got my 319 TSV in today, and I usually don't use the spray but I'm going to be using that stuff hardcore for the next few days! 

Esteemed Contributor

I know. I don't have a patience to blow-dry my hair properly too, @Beautoxica. I did notice though, that when I catch my hair at exactly right level, when it is not moist already and not just fully dry yet, then it's easy-peasy. And very quick.

After I had done this a few times, it does become very quick with Chaz Dean Brush and some experience doing it. I also, have seen somewhere on the video Chaz hair stylist showing how to blow-dry, and she had couple of brushes. One she'd stick in, while working with the other on different strand of hair.

Well, I have kinda straight hair, so I don't need straighten it per se. But this Wen brush does real magic on very curly, like ethnic hair too, from what I've seen.

I am not really trying to convince you, dear friend! Just saying....

Oh well, who am I kidding? I am trying to convince you, but just a little bit! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

I know. I don't have a patience to blow-dry my hair properly too, @Beautoxica. I did notice though, that when I catch my hair at exactly right level, when it is not moist already and not just fully dry yet, then it's easy-peasy. And very quick.

After I had done this a few times, it does become very quick with Chaz Dean Brush and some experience doing it. I also, have seen somewhere on the video Chaz hair stylist showing how to blow-dry, and she had couple of brushes. One she'd stick in, while working with the other on different strand of hair.

Well, I have kinda straight hair, so I don't need straighten it per se. But this Wen brush does real magic on very curly, like ethnic hair too, from what I've seen.

I am not really trying to convince you, dear friend! Just saying....

Oh well, who am I kidding? I am trying to convince you, but just a little bit! Smiley Happy

@sonechko

Yep, that 'sweet spot' between not quite dry, and already dry is the BEST for me.  That's when I add Moussie, and my hair is divine, if I do say so myself!

Again - hang on, I really think the lilac EDP is well worth the wait!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

I may have to try it! I literally would try when my hair was super wet, but because it's so curly it is always frizzy when I try it. Not even frizzy, just BIG cause its so thick. Thats why I like to straighten it because I can get it much sleeker. otherwise I feel like my hair is a football helmet lol. 

Looks like I may have to get a wen brush, too.