WEN

Super Contributor

Re: Set the Record Straight on Shelf Life for WEN

Hi Beachy!!!!! I didn't recognize u with ur new name lol. I'm good...so glad this year is over almost...I'm ready to start a new one.lol

ur too funny cuz I have stockpiles of body prods and every time I open a new one I wonder how ur doing.lol

Esteemed Contributor

Ive been buying multiples of TSV's along with multiple seasonals, body products and ancillary products.  I am on the "2 year plan", meaning I always have two years worth of product in stock.  Occassionly some have reached three years before opening.  I have never had an issue with anything going bad including the oils.  I just opened a tea tree dated 12/14 and it's as good as new which it is.  I date every bottle when received and follow the rule "first in first out."   

Respected Contributor

Everything I have ordered in FAS from QVC and Chaz'website these last 2 months are all 2013 dates (CC's, oils and RTM's). So they are 3, going on 4 years old and all smell fine. I love it and bought a ton so I am trusting Chaz' CS when they say it's good for 2yrs after being opened. I guess I'll find out bc I have enough to last me the next 2-3yrs thanks to Chaz' 50% off sale and QVC's sales. Lol

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenmoo wrote:

Hi Beachy!!!!! I didn't recognize u with ur new name lol. I'm good...so glad this year is over almost...I'm ready to start a new one.lol

ur too funny cuz I have stockpiles of body prods and every time I open a new one I wonder how ur doing.lol

@chickenmoo   For some reason I didn't receive a notification.  It's great seeing you here.  Don't be a stranger,  I too often wondered what happened to you. I have 1 set left of my POM. Then I'm going to try the 319.  Have you tried them yet?  Who knows maybe  March we'll see a body TS like way back when.  Wouldn't that be nice?  Stay well and have a happy holiday if I don't see you around before that😊❤️

Frequent Contributor

I've had some Wen that was fine well past the 2 yr mark. I quit ordering CC though for now until I use up my stock. Now, the Wen pets I had did go bad after the 2 yrs. The original formula, it wouldn't mix in the bottle, like it curdled and wouldn't mix so I had to throw it away. It was still about half full. Our dog is only 6 lbs so I'm glad he came out with a smaller container with the new Lavender one for pets.

Super Contributor

Omg I'm totes waiting for a body deal!lol It's a cold yucky winter so far...thank goodness for Wen! Wish he'd do a peony body lotion/cleanser...I'd be buying it by the truckload!lol

Hope y'all have a great holiday season too!!! 😇

Honored Contributor

@Hot2 wrote:

I e-mailed Chaz's customer service about this before and they said it was two years from opening.

Thank you, just saw it myself.....it came directly from WEN by Chaz Dean.....two years from opening!!  

HI @Hot2, and welcome to the wenderful Wen forum. Smiley Happy

The answer that Chaz's customer service dept is their official Wen CC shelf life info that they always give out: "two years from opening". 

That's a great starting point, but I wanted to tweak their answer a bit by adding my own observations: 

First off, maybe 3-4 years ago during one of the Wen presentations, Chaz made the following observation. -- At that time, he happened across one of his original test bottles for his original first Wen CC (Sweet Almond Mint) which would have been bottled in the early 1990s. -- Just for fun (lol, and I would have done the same), He tried it out on his hair and it worked just fine. 

Now while I'm not trying to suggest that you hoard your Wen for a couple dozen years, it sure sounds as though Wen CCs have a long shelf life. -- As for myself, I just cracked open a new bottle of Winter Vanilla Mint (WVM) which I had purchased in 2011 (I think) and it works just fine. -- WVM fan, it took me about 4 years to go through the very first bottle. Smiley Happy

In fact, that very first bottle of WVM was OPEN for between 4 to 4.5 years before it finally went rancid. -- And I had the same experience with my very first bottle of Sweet Almond MInt (SAM) of 4 to 4.5 years OPENED before it finally turned. -- I'm not a huge SAM CC fan either, so I just kept the tail end of it around to see how long it would take before it went bad. -- So 4 to 4.5 years OPENED, seems to be the outside limit. 

In both cases, when it turned, it turned quite quickly and every evidently. I could easily smell the difference, so it wasn't a case of has it or hasn't it gone bad. lol, I could really tell. 

Now while I'm not advocating that folks regularly keep their opened Wen CCs around for 4 years, that's just how it works for me. Smiley Happy

I'm the Wen girl that loves all the Wen Seasonals (lol, more or less) as well as the Restoratives, 319, 613, Tea Tree, and Cucumber Aloe. So, if I remember correctly, at any given time I have around 20-22 different Wen CC formulas open... cause that just makes me happy. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@chickenmoo, yay!!! It's great to see you aroudn here again. I hope that life is treating you well. If I remember correctly, you popped in last December too. Have a great hoiiday!!! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Funny, I was just thinking about this too.  I've found that with the older seasonals, the scent has faded a bit, but the product is fine.  I also bought a gallon that doesn't work that well for my hair but it's okay mixed, and the smell has turned a bit.  It works fine even though it's old so while it's not my first choice as part of using WEN is the scent experience, but it's there if I need extra! I've never had any curdle, thank goodness!