WEN

Super Contributor

SHL scent differences among products

Hello All!  Last spring I tried Honey Lilac SC, CC, and Revitalizing Mist thinking I would love it as lilac is usually a favorite scent of mine. I found it to be very 'off" smelling - a bit peppery - and nothing like I know a lilac to smell like. 

Fast forward to today - I just opened the lilac fragrance sample and absolutely LOVE it! It smells 100% like the lilac scent I am familiear with. Will purchase the parfum when it comes out again. 

Has anyone else had an experience similiar to this with any of the scents?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHL scent differences among products

Scullychick wrote:

Hello All!  Last spring I tried Honey Lilac SC, CC, and Revitalizing Mist thinking I would love it as lilac is usually a favorite scent of mine. I found it to be very 'off" smelling - a bit peppery - and nothing like I know a lilac to smell like. 

Fast forward to today - I just opened the lilac fragrance sample and absolutely LOVE it! It smells 100% like the lilac scent I am familiear with. Will purchase the parfum when it comes out again. 

Has anyone else had an experience similiar to this with any of the scents?

Hi @scullychick. First, people often find a big difference between the way some Wen smells in the bottle vs how it smells in use.

Last fall I fell in love with the new FVWP cc fragrance. The FVWP  SC and RTM smelled the same to me. But the mousse had a deeper, better, more intense fragrance (I wanted to roll in it) and the oil had a note I disliked, but I couldn't smell that "off" note after the oil was exposed to the air several minutes.

Now, months later, I can't smell that "off" note at all.

I disliked WRC at first whiff. Now it's my winter favorite and I can't get enough of it.

I ordered PJP  RTM  last year and disliked the intensity of the rose fragrance. So when a bottle of PJP cc came with the Dec TSV I planned to give it away, but found I loved the  mellower PJP cc fragrance and looked forward to using it. Now the RTM doesn't smell so intense any to me anymore, and it mellows as it dries.

My neighbor has a lilac right on the property line. When it's blooming I pull my chair right under it to enjoy the fragrance.  Chaz's SHL smells exactly like real blooming lilac to me. No "peppery" smell to me.

So If I smell some "off" note during cool or dry weather, I may not smell it at all in warmer, more humid weather. And vice versa. It's the humidity, or maybe my sinuses, my personal chemistry, or even my mood that's affecting my reaction. 

Bottom line is I've learned if I don't like it now, I'll like it a few months from now.

It's all Wen, it's all good.

Respected Contributor

With some of the scents, I pick up different notes in the different products. For example, the WRC SC has a citrus note that I don't smell in the CC or RTM.

I think the SHL smells the most consistent across products. However, Everyone is different and can pick up different scents. I don't care for SOB because there is a fake fragrance smell to my nose, like cheap perfume. Others live it and don't smell it that way at all. It is just how my nose and brain process it.
Super Contributor

Hedge and Cosmic1 - thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I use and love many Wen scents and could not believe when I did not care for the SC, RM, and Mousse in SHL.  REALLY like the EDP! Oh well, I guess there is a first for everything. 

Esteemed Contributor

@scullychick, sometimes blending in a bit of another Wen formula is the answer.
Most people smell fresh delicious Peach in the Wen Honey Peach, but a few of us smell a "cat pee" note in there. I found blending a bit of BGT into the SHP completely neutralizes that "cat pee" smell for me and leaves just fresh jucy Peach.

Hopefully a bit of other Wen will give you the lilac you want. I'd try blending in another floral, like PJP, or something light and crisp like BGT or 613.
Best of luck.