WEN

Super Contributor

Reverse Styling Product method for curly/course hair

I heard Chaz talk a while back about curly/course people should apply styling products in reverse order but for some reason I thought this was AFTER applying leave in following the second cleanse. So I was applying leave in, mousse, then gel mixed with oil. This worked until high humidity season and I was really getting frizzy.  

Well I heard Benne talk about the reverse method on Periscope this weekend and realized I was doing it all wrong and that it should be mousse, gel, THEN leave in (I don’t use texturizing spray). It made quire the difference, I had zero frizz today!

I thought I would share in case there is anyone who hasn’t tried this yet. I love how we can always learn new things by watching Chaz’s shows and social media 

Respected Contributor

Re: Reverse Styling Product method for curly/course hair

Hi @scullychick, yes, Chaz does say for curly girls to do it this way!

Respected Contributor

Hi Scullychick!  I just tried it.  Yes, it works nicely that way!  My hair is more bouncy too!  I have natural wave in my hair which was okay but now that it's turned mostly platinum, it's more coarse and the wave is, well, icky.  LOL!  Great thread though!

Super Contributor

@77yangya I’m glad it worked well for you🙂 My second day hair looks great, so I am sticking with this!

Respected Contributor

Hmmm... interesting. I follow the Curly Girl Method and gave up most WEN products because of the silicones, but I'll give this a try with the products I use.

Esteemed Contributor

I never had any luck with this method.

If I start by adding 20 pumps of mousse to already sopping wet hair, my hair just can't hold that much liquid. Then I'm trying to add glossing serum plus CC& oil to that.

I've done this and plopped overnight, air drying in the morning. I always get more frizz, less curl definition, and need to add a lot more styling product to make it look presentable.

Day two is ugh! and I have to rewash.

Have tried it maybe 6 times, making various small changes.

Wish it worked better for me but I never had any complaints about the results from the original method so I'm happy with that.

Honored Contributor

@scullychick, I use the reverse method with MUCH success!! I’m glad to hear it works for you, too!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Frequent Contributor

@scullychick  What gel are you using?

Valued Contributor

@x Hedge This method does not work for me either.  I've tried it several times.  My curls are more frizzy than curly.  The original way works best for me.

Valued Contributor

@Arianny wrote:

@x Hedge This method does not work for me either.  I've tried it several times.  My curls are more frizzy than curly.  The original way works best for me.

@Arianny and @x Hedge  Nor does it work well for me.  When I tried it (mousse, SC, leave-in), my curls looked nice, but they came out more defined and bouncier the original way.  Guess we all have our own Wen way of making our hair look great!Heart