WEN

Respected Contributor

Recovering from general anaesthesia hairloss?

I had knee surgery a week ago, and I'm noticing more strands of hair coming out after a shower  since then.   Would increasing the frequency of scalp oil treatments help, or do I just have to live with it until my body recovers?  I usually just do once-a-week TT oil and that keeps my scalp happy and my hair growing well, but if twice-a-week would speed my scalp's recovery and stop the hair loss sooner I'll gladly step up the pace!

Respected Contributor

Re: Recovering from general anaesthesia hairloss?

JMO, but I feel that with the anesthesia and maybe extra meds your taking (post surgery) just need to get out of your system.  I would think some extra hair loss is the norm, but ask your dr., or a dermatologist.  Drink lots of water to help flush your system as well.  As far as Wen, (I don't use it), do what has been working for you.

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

I had knee surgery a week ago, and I'm noticing more strands of hair coming out after a shower  since then.   Would increasing the frequency of scalp oil treatments help, or do I just have to live with it until my body recovers?  I usually just do once-a-week TT oil and that keeps my scalp happy and my hair growing well, but if twice-a-week would speed my scalp's recovery and stop the hair loss sooner I'll gladly step up the pace!

My guess is no, but I've seen no study done on this. When I was losing hair due to stress, nothing helped until my system reset. Doing scalp massages and oil treatments only served to pull more hair out, so I stopped doing them until everything settled.

Trusted Contributor

@CamilleP you must be reading my mind today LOL. Am getting ready for my 3rd major surgical procedure in 3 months and I was noticing some hair loss and just plain dullness, brittle. I think maybe mine is from the tremendous stress and physical beating I am taking? Sigh I know I should be just thankful I am still among the breathing but yea I do (or used to) consider my hair my treasured feature. If ya find the potion please share with me. Big hugs to ya xoxoxoxx Stormy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

years ago when we had babies we all knew the anstheia would cause us a bit of hair loss ,at least that is what we all thought.ti grows back in no time do not worry about it or you sill oose more hair worrying..........

omg, if strss causes hair loss I will be bald very shortly,my life has suddenly spun out of control and I really need to get it together soon..........I am gonna take up drinking (not really)

(don't worry anyone ,it will all disolve just normal life things when you get old....loll........)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a Wen user, but ... Several years ago when I had surgery, under general anesthesia, the hospital gave me a document with various instructions and common side effects of anesthesia. Number one on the list was temporary hair loss. I had very little, but it was noticeable for the couple of weeks or so after surgery. Once the anesthesia was out of my system (it takes awhile for that to happen) my hair was back to normal and the extra strands I had been losing grew back naturally over time. I do recall that the instructions also said not to do anything different or special if hair loss occurred, but rather to let the body heal itself and that the hair loss would follow suit, resolving itself in a short time. That was certainly true for me.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma LOL you gave me the biggest chuckle LOL thanks I needed that. Yea we should all be bald from stress these days. Maybe a night out on a good drunk sounds like some good fun LOLOLOL Yea Im j/k too but LOL thanks. Im bound to be the new bald icon soon LOL

Respected Contributor

Egaads, @Stormygirl, 3 surgeries in 3 months?!?! My heart truly goes out to you. I had arthroscopic knee surgery three months ago tomorrow and it has been a total disaster virtually since I came out of the anesthesia. I'm a bit of a depressed mess! I can't imagine what you are going through. God Bless YOU.

As far as hair goes, mine is still shedding much more then prior to this surgery. And I have definitely noticed extra thinning at my temples...thinning I certainly don't need! I, too, would like to know what might help this issue. Geez, more knee pain then before surgery, and impending baldness was not what I thought I was signing up for. HA!!!!

Best to you!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stormygirl

i am getting old.....lol  79 is old.....lol  but I am used to being in control and my son seems to want to make my life easier buy taking over things but i cannot seem to relax and let him.....lol...I have my ways,but I AM old and tired..like the comming snow tonite.I always shoveled (my dh is dead ovwer 20 yrs) so i did myself.DS wants me NOT to worry he will get someone to shovel and it causes friction............lol  he gets upset ,if he thinks I am upset.

Listen to this story...............

My GS rented apt in my basement 7 yrs,just moved into a new home with wife to start a family ,stupidly wrote in PO of his change of address included family,we share same name,he should have said individual..OMG disaster........all my stuff,even my tv /internet provider/bank/credit cards/water co and gas &elec  thinks I moved,even pkgs delivered to his new home.............you cannot believe the disaster it has caused to me this whole month calling everything I own ,rent,charge or buy that I still live here and have been for over 65 yrs and the only way i will leave is if they carry me out in a black box...........lol  My phone,my tv ,my cable /internet company everything moved to his house........omg.I spent hrs last night with my cable company fixing the fact I still live here.I thought all was well, untill I went to bed,turned on TV and all i can get is Sports Channels.........omg disaster not HBO,Cinimax ,ect nothing but sports.I am going out of my mind with a nervous breakdown....  sigh............lol

Respected Contributor

Stormeygirl and MalteseMomma, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, I think you should both go for a spa day, ASAP!!!  Makes my little problem seem miniscule!  I do think I'll double the Tea Tree oil to twice a week, I have three bottles in reserve right now because I just got my 2nd A/D from the fall TSV with the new winter CC in it as well.  I already have much more hair on my scalp from weekly tea tree oil, so doubling the frequency certainly can't hurt.