WEN

Trusted Contributor

Re: Received old product in ODO, very disappointed

[ Edited ]

@Midnight11 wrote:

As others have said its still good  as to wont hurt you but i have to wonder about some of the ingredients/actives still being strong enough to be effective....In skincare they loose potency after 3 yrs if unopened and a yr opened.Heat makes them degrade faster as well.I know essential oils have a shelf life and loose there strength after 1 yr for citrus and 2 to 3 for others.....I myself would want fresh products from wen so i get the benefit from all the actives in them.

@MidNight, essential oils are sensitve to light, heat and oxygen so it makes sense that the clock starts on Wen when oxygen hits it. The bottles are dark amber to reduce the amount of light that can get in. Chaz also always recommends Wen products be stored in a dark, cool area.

#IAmTeamWen
Super Contributor

I really think your thought about finding old stock and making this the ODO is correct.

I think that is the same thing that happened when I purchased some oils last year but I cannot remember for sure. Again, ROTATE the stock!!!

Respected Contributor

@TamiT28 wrote:

I really think your thought about finding old stock and making this the ODO is correct.

I think that is the same thing that happened when I purchased some oils last year but I cannot remember for sure. Again, ROTATE the stock!!!

@TamiT28  I don't know where all this old stock comes from but I received my FIG gallon and it's from 2014. Most of the gallons seem to sell out during June so I don't know how they can still have such old gallons in stock.

Respected Contributor

If I am reading the date correctly, my SHP CC is also from May 2014.  It seems hard to believe that they still have 2014 stock to get rid of, considering how much time they've had to sell it and it's so popular.  Are we sure we are reading those numbers correctly?

Super Contributor

Yes, I know I am reading the dates correctly because I received verification last year from Wen people on FB. 

140826= August 26, 2014 manufacture

140512=May 12, 2014 manufacture

Wen switched at some point so that the manufacture dates now look like this:

MFG 01/11/2017

With how many times products are announced as "Sold Out" I am also shocked that QVC has stock from 3 years ago. It might be a lack of proper rotation or not really being sold out?

Respected Contributor

@TamiT28 wrote:

Yes, I know I am reading the dates correctly because I received verification last year from Wen people on FB. 

140826= August 26, 2014 manufacture

140512=May 12, 2014 manufacture

Wen switched at some point so that the manufacture dates now look like this:

MFG 01/11/2017

With how many times products are announced as "Sold Out" I am also shocked that QVC has stock from 3 years ago. It might be a lack of proper rotation or not really being sold out?

@TamiT28  That's what I don't understand. If they truly sold out all the times they said that they did there's no way they could have all this old stock from 2013 or 2014.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I truly dont think QVC cares enough to rotate the stock, not saying they are irresponsible but there is most likely no need as far as they are concerned. As the products are considered stable as long as they are kept in a dark, cool place. So they sit in a warehouse and collect whats needed to fill orders. Its only an issue for the few that complain about the date. Many dont worry about the date as long as the product arrives completely sealed.

You can tell the bottles are filled without any air, many of my 32 oz arrive with a collapsed side created due to no air in the bottle. This is why when you open the bottle you have to allow air in first or it will have a "eruption" effect. People complain all the time about how hard it is to get the pumps in SC to open, not considering you are working against suction. The oils are hard to open as well. I think the only product that may not be as difficult is the rtm, but I dont remember anyone stating they had old rtm.

When people compare this to say standard packaged essential oils in glass jars you forget, they are not airtight by any standard. This is why the clock is already ticking on them.

I really think them addressing and replacing is just standard Customer Service, "if the customer isnt happy......" not a true concern with quality. Yes, it is very possible for items to sell out and still have stock with older dates. If QVC ordered 25,000 bottles in 2014 and sold 25,000 bottles in 2014 but people placed waitlisted orders... how many bottles do you think were overproduced in 2014? Just like the new seasonal, people are on all kinds of wait lists. How many bottles do you think would be over produced this year to keep up with the potential demand?

#IAmTeamWen
Honored Contributor

If I'm not eating the stuff or putting it in my eyes, I just don't care. 

I'm sure there are many items on my shelves that are outdated -  and that would include the WEN because I know the last time I ordered anything was over 2 years ago and even then I had already promised myself not to order until I'd used that up.  Sure!  Forgot to promise myself I wouldn't try a new summer scent.  But I'm going to have all new WEN in a few months as I'm finally "unstashed" and working on my final bottles of cleanser and 61

I see no difference in results because of their age.  My only reaction if I had gotten that ODO and looked at the dates would be not to order again until that older bottle was nearly gone.  No more Wen stashes for me!

Contributor

I have to respond to this. In fact I came to the forum today to see if anyone else had this exact problem. I had ordered a gallon of Spring Orange Blosson (on auto delivery) thinking I would use even more as a body cleanser as well as "shampoo".  Well I opened the box and thought I smelled the fragrance...I feared there was a leak, but no that was not the case. Instead, upon closer inspection, I realize that the black cap is kinda loose. And so with the clear plastic wrap still intact, I am able to unscrew the black cap and I see the foil is totally stuck up in the lid, and the only thing holding the product inside the bottle is a thin paper like film.  Yikes! That's the first thing I notice. Then I turn it upside down to see the manufacture date of 11/2015!

So two things I'm upset with: that qvc sent me OLD product...and the SEAL on the wen products is in need of being improved.

This past fall I had to send back a 20 ounce container of Nourishing Body Lotion that came to me with the foil totally unsealed.

So I made my complaints known then and now. We will have to see if Chaz Dean and QVC will address these problems. Customer service was great in dealing with my return.

Now I see I'm not the only one with OLD product. Not sure I want to order anything this expensive again to possibly get old, improperly sealed product. At this price point, it should be quality sealed and brand new product! 

Thanks all!

Respected Contributor

@Handbell Clunk  What you described with the loose cap and the seal is exactly how my FIG gallon (which is from 2014) came.