WEN

Trusted Contributor

Question for blonde hair Wen users,

I have very thin fine blonde hair.I get roots done every 5 to 6 weeks. I alawys ask for no yellow tones in the color, and use a violet shampoo and wen tea tree. I use tea tree because my hair gets dry and has a lot of static. I am wondering if tea tree washes out the color or turns it a yellow shade ? I ask because my large gallon of wen around the top has some dried product that has turned yellow. My pump broke so i use it straight out of the bottle. I always have to get a toner put on my hair when i get my roots done to take out the yellow, so wondering if blondes shoul not use tea tree, or if anyone else has this problem.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for blonde hair Wen users,

I contacted the salon quite a few years ago about my mother's white hair and they said TT should be used because it would not turn her hair yellow because the oils in it are clear.  You said your pump broke?  It ,as be possible water got in the bottle and turned it.  I have hair similar to yours and get my roots done very 4 weeks or so.  I never had toner used on it.  I go deeper blonde in colder months but when I'm lighter I have no problems with yellowing.

Respected Contributor

My hair is naturally platinum and I use Tea Tree for my second cleanse, every day.  I only wish it would make some yellow in my hair but it doesn't.  Wen isn't designed to color one's hair.  I'm not crazy about my color but I don't want the commitment of coloring anymore so I let it be whatever color grows out.  However, Wen WILL enhance natural color just like fine, polished wood.  It does do that for me.  Wen also makes color treated hair hold the color nicely.  Anyway, mine has no yellow in it at all and I use Tea Tree.  I use all the CCs, come to think of it!  Mostly seasonals and Wen Men.  Love PJP when it comes out, I have one more 32oz. in my collection.  Can't wait for February when it comes around again.  There is not one CC that Chaz made and I have not tried.  I love them all and none make my hair yellow.

Regular Contributor

Hi @dogsx3!

Great question!!  It sounds like you and I have the same exact hair type Smiley Happy  In my experience, tea tree does the exact opposite!  It gets rid of the yellowing.  My 83 year old mother started using it (because I gave it to her)  And her naturally gray hair lost all it's drab, yellow, frizziness!  She now has a great head of shiny, gray hair!  

When I use Tea Tree, I found it actually held my color longer and the gray that grew in at the roots no longer was yellowing.  It actually made it harder to detect the gray growing in.  It blended in much better with my color treated hair.  

I have a friend whose hair is color treated and it always turns a yucky yellow/orange shade soon after her color.  It's because she lives in the country and has well water.  The water is destroying her hair.

I hope that helps you decide!