WEN

Respected Contributor

Re: Question and Guidance Regarding Manufacture Dates of TSV items

@posterchild. Agree with your post. I am one of the newer WEN posters. Started in June and am in love with everything.  I also posted that bc of the great TSV price I stocked up and bought one of each! This gave me more of the products I already love and let me receive new products I have not tried. All my TSV's I have rec'd (just waiting for LAV which is on its way) actually are recent stock with the oldest being 12/15.  I did also state in a previous post that in June I ordered the Home and Away Oil kit and it was this kit (not the TSV)  that the 4oz LAV oil was the old/original formula and the 1 oz was the newer Lav Mint formula. I do use the original LAV oil with no issue and use it in regular rotation with my other oils. I actually like it as it is different formula then the Lav Mint. LOL I knew immediately that it was older stock but didn't care. I looked at it like this.....when I order something online or purchase something off the shelf at the store I really have no idea how old the product is. This was a fantastic TSV and am glad I was able to take advantage of it - especially getting so many new products at a phenomenal price! Lucky me!!!

Trusted Contributor

Someone included this information in their review on the TSV. I agree, the date is not a sell by or good until date and no one runs to check the date on their body wash or standard shampoo. Could you imagine how long big box stores keep their stock and sell it?

As far as products not having a seal the seal would pretty much be the tightly closed bottle. When they say its good for two years after opening I would think that means once the air hits it for the oil and if you notice the remoist is somewhat firm on the top but once you actually break that its a softer product. I think breaking that firm "seal" would start the two years.

#IAmTeamWen
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any oil will go rancid without opening, at some point.  As far as big box stores, the places I shop have a high turnover. Stores need turnover, if a product isn't selling it won't be restocked and the stock they have goes to the clearance bin. Stores do not make money holding onto products that don't sell. It's a waste of shelf space both in the store and the warehouse. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

You raised some great questions @Nicole WI.  Please report back here and let all of us know what your research and inquiries yield.  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

Any oil will go rancid without opening, at some point.  As far as big box stores, the places I shop have a high turnover. Stores need turnover, if a product isn't selling it won't be restocked and the stock they have goes to the clearance bin. Stores do not make money holding onto products that don't sell. It's a waste of shelf space both in the store and the warehouse. 

@jaxs mom, The point of the dark amber containers is to keep that from happening as long as possible. The more sunlight the faster it goes bad.

I think what happened here and what happens in big box stores sometimes is a gross overestimation of potential sells. I think QVC ordered too much somewhere (maybe previous TSVs) and now they have to get rid of that backstock. It isnt a matter of the product not selling, its a backstock issue. Someone made a big mistake and since its paid for it has to be sold. The same thing would happen and has happened in a big box store.

Black Friday and other shopping holidays are examples of this. They usually deeply discount either what they have too much stock of or what they can get their hands on massive amounts of for cheap and abundant sales. Quite frankly, the reason these items were a part of the TSV and at such a great value may simply have been done due to the overstock. Lets not forget the great sales we also got at the private sale.

#IAmTeamWen
Honored Contributor

But QVC clearly does put up TSVs at non TSV prices after the day. We've seen it with pretty much every product. In fact we see items that are clearly from cancelled AD delivery orders a year or so later that are sold in the same kit form they originally came in. 

I don't see any reason to think that QVC just decided to not sell those extra kits as is but instead sat on product for 4-6 years and then came up with a brand new kit. Especially because the Wen items sell like hotcakes. It's not like they couldn't sell the existing product. And even if they did that ( which I personally doubt) they'd have to have Chaz's cooperation because this TSV kit included a brand new product. Plus they'd need the kit boxes printed up with the new product info on the box. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chaz talked about leftover MIF/BGT/FF sets from the last year's Dec. TSV. QVC over ordered and he is trying to get those sets on this year since they wont be a part of the Dec TSV. So yes, I do believe that over the years they could have accumulated enough extra stock to sell as a TSV, combined with a seasonal auto delivery program.

The varying dates also suggests this. Remember the oil duos that were offered? Did anyone check those dates? If you figure it this way.. say 80,000 TSV are sold but 50,000 TSVs are sold as Auto Deliveries. Most TSV autodeliveries are 3 total shipments (150,000 total sets), for every one canceled or changed to another scent there is one (or two) set(s) that is not fulfilled but sitting in stock somewhere.Thats just based on one TSV. How many have their been over the years for classics?

This last TSV sold around 70,000 sets. Use the backstock plus possible new stock (since most of us did receive at least 1 item from 2016) to fill the gaps and there you have it.

Even if they continue selling it or reintroduce it on .com it would never do TSV business unless it is reintroduced as a TSV.

#IAmTeamWen
Valued Contributor

I just talked to QVC CS and explained that I bought 2 TSV's in the Pom. and the oil's were dated 2010 and the Re-Moist's had no seal on them. She said she could either send me 2 new kit's or credit me for the 2 kit's. I don't want 2 new kit's if they have the same experaition date's, so she credited my account. So disappointed in the old product's. The TSV's are alway's a great deal but, I want fresh product's. I have a lot of Wen and need to be able to store them for a while. I changed the scent on A-D to TT for the next shipment. Hope the TT has a better date.

Respected Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

Chaz talked about leftover MIF/BGT/FF sets from the last year's Dec. TSV. QVC over ordered and he is trying to get those sets on this year since they wont be a part of the Dec TSV. So yes, I do believe that over the years they could have accumulated enough extra stock to sell as a TSV, combined with a seasonal auto delivery program.

The varying dates also suggests this. Remember the oil duos that were offered? Did anyone check those dates? If you figure it this way.. say 80,000 TSV are sold but 50,000 TSVs are sold as Auto Deliveries. Most TSV autodeliveries are 3 total shipments (150,000 total sets), for every one canceled or changed to another scent there is one (or two) set(s) that is not fulfilled but sitting in stock somewhere.Thats just based on one TSV. How many have their been over the years for classics?

This last TSV sold around 70,000 sets. Use the backstock plus possible new stock (since most of us did receive at least 1 item from 2016) to fill the gaps and there you have it.

Even if they continue selling it or reintroduce it on .com it would never do TSV business unless it is reintroduced as a TSV.

QVC is not the only one sending out old stock. When I've bought products directly from Chaz's own web site during his 20% off sales those products are just as old so I guess he must be sitting on some old products himself too.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to let everyone know that I checked all the dates on my TT TSV and the oldest product was the oil dated 4/15.  Everything else was 7/16.  I don't really understand the in's and out's of all this but just wanted to share.  I live in the Northeast by the way.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, which warehouse it's comes out of etc..