WEN

Valued Contributor

Re: Question and Guidance Regarding Manufacture Dates of TSV items

Received my TT TSV this week and the Remoist and CC where from 2013. The oil was fresh from 2016.
Regular Contributor

@Tribesters, 2 year shelf life from the time the product is open/or seal is broken, is the information I was provided by CD CS.  I understand why you are concerned about the remoist since it is not sealed.  I am not knowledgeable enough about the remoist ingredient decks to know if there is an explanation why your LAV remoist is a different color from your FIG remoist.  I don't know if this information will help you or not, but I will share it.  At least 2 years ago a WEN TSV was offered that included a 2oz remoist in your choice of core scents (this was back when BGT was offered in core TSVs).  When I received those shipments the manufacture dates on the remoists were very "fresh", but it took me quite a long time to finish them off.  I still have one of those remoists.  It is TT and I opened it approximately 2 weeks ago.  It smells and works fine, but its manufacture date is from 2014.  Again, I don't know if these details help at all.  I would highly recommend contacting QVC CS regarding your concerns.  Lindsey, the QVC CS rep I spoke with was incredibly helpful.  Best of luck with this situation!  Please report back your results!

Regular Contributor

@jaxs mom, based on the research I've done I believe I received a bottle of the original LAV oil that was sold by Chaz.  The original LAV oil was lavender only (NOT the LAV Mint version that is sold now) and contained only the 2 ingredients I previously listed.  These oils were phased out to bring in the new "treatment oils".  I also ordered a TSV in TT.  I received the TT Eucalyptus oil in that set.  If you remember those original/first generation oils were $20 or $30 for 4oz in contrast to the $50+ we pay now.  The "savings" that were touted by purchasing the TSV are incorrect since I received a first generation oil that was never sold for $50+.  Very interesting and a bit deceptive, IMO.

Regular Contributor

@HSB1204, I'm glad your POM remoist looks and smells like normal.  I agree that it is so disappointing to receive old stock!  Especially when we were all so excited for this TSV.

Honored Contributor

@CoCo87 Oh yeah, I forgot about the old olls. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Yes, I got the old original 4oz lavender oil in June. The 1 oz size that came with it was the new lavender mint though. Thought it was weird. Smelled fine though and I do use it. But, yes, was surprised they'd send such old stock. 

Respected Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@CoCo87 wrote:

I wanted to provide an update.  This afternoon I contacted the Chaz Dean Salon using the phone number on the products.  I had to leave a voice message for customer service.  A customer service representative returned my call in under 30 minutes.  I explained my concern and provided her with the numbers on the bottom of my TSV components.  She confirmed that the numbers in question are manufacture dates.  She confirmed that I received a product packaged in 2010 and 2012.  She went on to assure me that the products (including the oil from 2010) are good to use.  She clarified that WEN products have a 2 year shelf life from the date they are opened/seal is broken.  I asked if this was a normal practice for such old product to be shipped to customers as a "new" configuration.  She confirmed it does happen since the 2 year shelf life on all WEN products does not take effect until they are opened. 

I am glad to have an answer directly from the company.  However, I am disappointed that QVC is shipping out such old product.  I posted this same question in the CS forum, but QVC has not responded.  I will call QVC next.  I would prefer to receive fresher products simply for my piece of mind.  I am also confused about how long an oil can remain "fresh" once it is packaged.  I live in the deep south.  When my package was delivered yesterday it was over 95 degrees. I could be very wrong, but it seems that these extreme temperatures would also have a negative effect on the oil. 

2 year shelf life for the date they are opened/seal is broken? The masks I received  from 2 TSV's are both dated 2012. There was no seal. So if they're already over 4 years old are they no good? My Lav mask is slightly browner in color than the Fig. And when I opened it I noticed moisture inside the lid. I've never used the mask before so I'm not sure if it's bad or not. Glad I didn't plan on giving one of these sets for a gift. I'd be embarrassed to give someone something so old. They'd probably think I was cleaning out my closet & giving them my old junk. 

@Tribesters I haven't ever tried the LAV re-moist so I'm not sure if that's what it's supposed to look like but I have the CA re-moist which has much of a yellow tint to it. I also have the TT and BGT re-moist and they're both white so maybe there's a slight color difference depending on the formula?

Respected Contributor

@CoCo87 wrote:

@HSB1204, I'm glad your POM remoist looks and smells like normal.  I agree that it is so disappointing to receive old stock!  Especially when we were all so excited for this TSV.

@CoCo87 Yes, the TSV shouldn't be some way of getting rid of old products but considering how old some of these products were you have to wonder.

Valued Contributor

I ordered the Tea Tree for my TSV and it shipped from Maumee, OH. The manufacturing dates on my core products are as follows:

32oz TT CC: 140421 (04/21/2014)

4oz TT Oil: MFG: 04/2016

4oz TT RM: MFG: 08/2016

I did contact Chaz Dean's customer service to clarify that as long as it was not opened,the CC was good for two years and not good for two years from the date manufactured. I was informed that it was good for two years after it was opened. 👍🏻

My TT re-moist mask does not have a foil seal and my oil has no seal, as you probably know. I have no issue with the dates on my products, but the two products without seals on them were manufactured in 2016. I have never asked specifically about how long the oil or re-moist mask are good for and because they are not sealed I don't know that the two years after opening them applies to those products. 🤔 

I think I will have to inquire about the length of time that the products that are not sealed are good for from the date manufactured. I would think that not being sealed might impact how long the products would be at peak performance. I could be 100% wrong about that, so that is why I will do some research and makes some inquiries about it tomorrow and hopefully have an answer. ☺️

Super Contributor

Just FYI, I have cc, remoist, oils, rtms, etc that are older than anything mentioned here.  I've never opened one and found the product rancid or ineffective.  In fact, I'm just using up my last Fig remoist with a mfg date of 2010 (I stocked up the year of the last TSV with a full size remoist).  I've never received a remoist or an oil with a seal.  Yes, the lav remoist (and oil) have a tinge of color to them that the others don't have (at least the formulas I've tried). 

This is not an ingestible product and does not have a "sell by" or "use by" date, so I don't understand the issue.  This is the most amazing price on a TSV we've ever seen.  If the reason they could afford to do it is because they have backstock, hurrah for us for benefitting from that.  They've always been clear that the product is good for two years from the point it's opened, so who cares when it's manufactured?  Is it going to cleanse less well?  Be less effective of a hair mask?  Have you ever checked an expiry date on your shampoo, conditioner, mask before now?  

If you receive a product and it seems rancid, that's wrong and Q should definitely refund or replace, but if you receive a product that appears fine and is good until two years after it's opened, what's the issue other than you got a cracking good deal?

I will add that for the person who received the original formula oil, that's not what was included in this kit and you should definitely receive a refund if you want one.  I personally loved the original oils and would have love to have received one!  Many wenners still have a stash of them because they stocked up when they were on sale as the formula was phased out. 

I hope everybody enjoys their purchases and this amazing deal.  I hope we see deals like this again in the future.  For those of you newer to wen, know that we've never had deals this amazing before.  Perhaps it is only while there is backstock, so if that's the case, enjoy it while it lasts!