WEN

Super Contributor

Product suggestion needed for crown area

I need help from the experts.  After a fresh cleanse, my crown area is soft and shiny along with the rest of my hair but the crown tends want to separate and doesn't cooperate with teasing, etc.  On day 2 I can usually work with it as my hair has more "grit" so that I can make it work.  I am considering trying either the volumizing spray or the texturizing spray to help with this. My hair is shoulder length, medium thickness and wavy/curly. I use the gel, mousse and curl cream after cleanse. Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: Product suggestion needed for crown area

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a cowlick issue.  Now, since I don't have this I'm not sure how to deal with it.  Hmmmmm.  I don't consider myself to be an expert.

You could try back combing after cleansing and blow drying.  If you don't blow out, wait until it's dry and hit it with some volumizer, just a spritz at the root area and wait a few seconds and back comb and smooth down rest of hair.  Maybe that would cover this?

Hang on....

CALLING ALL WEN GIRLS!!!   SOMEONE HAS QUESTION, PLEASE HELP!

Okay, hopefully the Wen gals on here will help. XO

Super Contributor

@77yangya thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I absolutely have a cowlick there - most people have a crown that  "swirls" in one direction - mine actually goes in two directions!

I don't blow dry my hair but I have heard of (and tried) many of the tricks.  Maybe I will pick up some volumizer to try. I'm coming up with my final order on his great sale!

Respected Contributor

@scullychick 

I have the worst crown "mess" you could have...It's my Mom's down to the last wicked wrong way part..lol

I like my crown area full & with thin hair & the "part" it isn't easy.

Sometimes I get someone who cuts it nicely in that area & that helps a tiny bit..(mostly they dont')

I use self grip rollers,(not velcro)  put them in my wet hair, let them mostly air dry but hit them with a blow dryer if I am in a hurry..Then I "tease" the area lightly, hair spray, comb it in place, more spray..It's the only way I get any volume, (even before I used Wen)..

I don't blow dry my hair, (except to hit the rollers quickly) due to a bad shoulder..I depend on the rollers, & they help alot..

I hope others have idea's for you also...Smiley Happy

*Sally's used to carry the self grip rollers, they don't now.

Amazon has some, (Olivia Garden brand) I use various sizes)

Super Contributor

@quadmimi Isn't it fun??!! Thank you for your roller suggestion. I have never been good with a blow dryer and brush but certainly can handle using a roller. The teasing definitely is my best defense at the crown mess, but isn't always perfect.  I appreciate your thoughts : )

Respected Contributor

@scullychick 

Yes these are pretty soft rollers, I am just careful when I unroll them to make sure not to "rip" them out, or else hair can come with them..lol...It does give the crown some lift, my 3 way part will always just be a challengeSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi, @quadmimi I have a quick question about those Olivia Garden rollers.  Can you sleep in those?  I looked at the varous sizes offered for sale, and at least one size had a picture of someone sleeping while wearing them, but I admit, they look too prickly to be comfortable to lay on.  I am considering buying the small-sized set to try to give myself a home perm, but I suspect I would be better off just waiting a few more months and getting that done professionally.

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Hi, @quadmimi I have a quick question about those Olivia Garden rollers.  Can you sleep in those?  I looked at the varous sizes offered for sale, and at least one size had a picture of someone sleeping while wearing them, but I admit, they look too prickly to be comfortable to lay on.  I am considering buying the small-sized set to try to give myself a home perm, but I suspect I would be better off just waiting a few more months and getting that done professionally.

@CamilleP 

Well they are "squishy" for lack of a better word, but I could not sleep in them...Mine are just in & out in the morning..(some mornings require the blow dryer used on them if I am in a hurry).

I don't know about using them for a perm, but maybe you could..Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @quadmimi  I think I probably couldn't sleep in them either, I used to try to sleep in "velcro" rollers and could not manage that.  I almost can't sleep in a t-shirt turban when I re-moist overnight any more.  Since I go to bed with a damp head, it would be the perfect time to use rollers, but the really soft, squishy foam rollers that have the little frames that snap closed over the hair require more coordination than I can muster at midnight. 

I mention perming with them because the "longest river" website that you mentioned as selling them promotes them for that use.  I think I had better just wait a few more months for a professional perm, although I don't know where I am going to get one, since the stylist I loved at my local Ulta salon has moved back to her home state, and the girl who gave me a trim there recently couldn't even trim my bangs properly.  Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

When I'm done styling my hair, I use Wen volumizing treatment spray to hold the style. I have a cowlick at the crown that tends to split and VTS has been my savior. SPRAY VERY LIGHTLY or you will have a sticky mess - just one light spray each side (from bottom pointing up), front and crown. Then immediately take a pick or tail of a rat tail comb to arrange and lift the hair at the crown. Should hold all day. I use the Sweet Almond VTS even though I use various seasonal CCs. You don't really use enough VTS to notice the fragrance.