WEN

Respected Contributor

Re: Pre-Blended, Whipped Up Wen Treasures

@FleaMktQn wrote:

@Souperkrys  This is the thread @quadmimi  was referring to.

I love bumping this one up cuz the tip is sooo helpful Smiley Wink

I do it just like @x Hedge does Smiley Very Happy

Oh thanks  @FleaMktQn  I don't know how to do that, so figured you would..Smiley Happy

I make mine a bit thinner, just because my hair is so extra baby fine, it doesn't take much..

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I've become a maniac-mad-scientist for pre-blending Wen cc combos. For the past several cleanses I've added a new twist. I have been pumping out and pre-blending my 1st, 2nd, and leave-in, and whipping them up until doubled in volume ahead of time.

For mixing bowls I'm using disposable 6oz solo plastic cups with snap on lids.

No more pumping into my hand from the Wen bottle and accidently dropping a big handful of CC or the slippery bottle onto the shower floor.

(yeah, I'm a klutz!) No more row of bottles lined up across the towel bar or rolling around underfoot. No more carrying a BASKET full of assorted Wen bottles to wash hair in the kitchen sink.

Just 3 little plastic cups of Wen, pre-pumped and measured, whipped with (gradually added) water until it's doubled in volume and light as meringue. Its still thick enough to turn upside down without it dumping out of the cup, but it spreads quickly and evenly through my hair AND rinses out more easily.

If I'm going to use Tea Tree cc on my scalp I'll pre-pump that into a 4th cup and pre-whip it with added water. As with the others, I'm finding it's much easier to work that evenly across my scalp than cc straight out of the bottle.

I like to add oil to my leave-in. I use a flat "paddle" shaped utensil (sort of like a wide popsicle stick) to thoroughly blend the oil into the CC, then start adding drips of water as I stir quickly. At first it will separate and look like a failed experiment, but I keep stirring briskly and it will emulsify into a creamy texture. Once that happens I gradually add more water until it's twice the volume. I haven't had any mixture that separated once it emulsified.

I already keep a shower comb, a plastic hair clip, and a Wen mousse in the kitchen cupboard next to the sink, (doesn't everybody?)

Pre-blended whipped up Wen treasures. Just snap a cap on it and tuck it in the cupboard.

Ah, Chaz . . .you make me so happy.

@pattypeepI'm bumping this thread up it has the info you were looking for

Respected Contributor

@skittles2  This is the thread on the WEN Whip Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge I need to try this sometime. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@x Hedge I need to try this sometime. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler  Have you ever got to try this?

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl  This is the thread I was referring to. I hope you find it helpful Smiley Very Happy

Regular Contributor

@x HedgeThank you for sharing this.

@FleaMktQnThank you for bumping this thread.  Somehow I missed this.

I need to see this in video.  Is there a youtube?  Wow to me this seems like the Wen trick of the century.  Woman Surprised

Occasional Contributor

@x Hedge  Just found this post which explains your mixing technique.  I will have to try this because I think it will work as great as you say.  Thanks for sharing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Since the original thread keeps getting traffic I'm going to add a couple of related posts that ended up in other threads.

Respected Contributor
Hedge

Re: @x Hedge ???? Question Re: Wen 

I always caution people who want to try pre-whipped WEN, this isn't a way to 'cheat' on the amount of WEN you use.

The pumps are still counted out, but it's done in advance. Because it's pumped out, then whipped up to double the volume, you're actually using what looks like more, but isnt.

Pumping it out in advance is especially important if you like to blend different formulas, as I do. This eliminates bottles rolling around under foot in the shower, or dropping handfuls of precious WEN while you're trying to pump & blend in the palm of your hand.

Also, I like to spread Tea Tree on my scalp and let it sit there 10 minutes while I'm showering & washing the length of my hair with another formula(s).
Oddly, I find it easier to do that with whipped TT.

Respected Contributor
Hedge

Pre-whipped WEN gets Chaz's approval ...sort of. 

@quadmimi @FleaMktQn, @geezerette

Didja notice Chaz recommending pre-mixing WEN & water before application to certain hair types last time he was on?

He was talking about pre-mixing, using a WEN Pets, or other squeezy plastic mixing bottle.

Didn't hear the whole story clearly, but I believe he said a customer was telling him about her daughter's issue with getting WEN to spread thru her hair. WEN  is so concentrated and dense, and with her hair type, this caused the daughter to have to keep adding more and more to get the coverage she needed.

Before I started to Pre-whip WEN I had that problem too. I'd have to keep adding pumps until I was sometimes up to double or more of what I should have needed for each cleanse.

Chaz was describing the ol'

'add water to WEN, shake it up' bit, which doesn't ever blend smoothly for me. Maybe my technique is off. That method always gives me floating islands of WEN in a watery soup.

Admittedly pre-whipping by constantly stirring the WEN while adding a thread of water until volume is nearly doubled is slower.

But the results are a clump-less emulsion. However, I realize that sounds too much like work to many who just wanna wash their hair without any fuss.

Chaz said he just recently came up with this idea, and we could call and ask for a WEN Pets mixing bottle if we had the same issue as that daughter.

Respected Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

@FleaMktQn wrote:

@sonechko  I'm also sorry to hear about your hand & hope it recovers very quick. I'll be interested to know how the bullet blender works out.

I want to add that the way I've been whipping the WEN is really just stirring it & it doesn't take a lot of water, maybe a teaspoon or a just little more, for 4 pumps from a 32 oz bottle. I don't measure, just add water from a very slow flowing faucet and stir and add a little more water and stir until it seems right.

Thanks @FleaMktQn!  I think I'll pass on whipping tonight. Like if my hand is not enough trouble, I also have bad flu, and tonight packing my entire home into zillion of boxes - they changing floors tomorrow at 7 am....... I feel like dissapearing from the face of earth for a few days......

At best, I may take simple shower tonight, since tomorrow I am homeless till evening, and will live outside. Can't even go anywhere, need to keep an eye on my belongings thrown in the open. Grrrrrrr.....

@sonechko

I saw your post.  I was reading the thread about mixing some water and stirring.  What caught my eye is you will live outside.  I'm not being funny, seriously. but live outside?  I felt really terrible when I saw this.  Your personal property thrown in the open.  I don't understand, but that's terrible.  I can only hope you're speaking metaphorically or allegorically.  I'm sorry about your hand too.  I've done things like that.  I got my hand closed in a car door.  My pinky was broken and cut badly.  I know it's none of my business but whatever the issue is, I hope it gets resolved quickly XO.