WEN

Respected Contributor

Re: Poppy scent? Any descirptions?

@ValentinaBon wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I see tons of information on the internet. Put " poppy scent" in your search browser.

am asking about the WEN PRODUCT...hence the reason I am asking on the WEN FORUM

Sorry...I assumed you'd know to browse the internet  for WEN  poppy scent. I still saw answers on the internet. 

Respected Contributor

I really like the scent of the Wen Spring Poppy. The main thing I get from this CC is the greenery. There is a mild floral scent, but it is mostly like the green part of the plant. Similar to geraniums; where there is not much floral scent. Or, if you like the Winter Currant, it is similar to that.

At least that is what I smell.

Honored Contributor

@cosmic1 That is so interesting. I didn't pick up any greenery in the poppy product. We are getting so many different takes on the scent. I don't recall another one of his cleansing conditioners that inspired so many varying takes on the scent. 

That proves there is something for everyone with the WEN scents. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ValentinaBon 

I've grown California Poppies (the improved version of the desert poppy) and know they're scentless flowers.

Voilating my personal rule about ordering just to smell the fragrance, I ordered the WEN Desert Poppy RTM.

Yes, it's very difficult to say what it does smell like. I took the bottle outside to spray it away from all house smells, then went around the scent wheel eliminating what it doesn't smell like.

lidb3andzix11.jpg

What's left is (YES! @cosmic1 ) "Stemy Green", plus a subtle something else.

And (I think) that plus is the smell of the desert air.

Get out the car and walk well into the desert.

- THAT smell.

Also, the SDP scent is very light, so even spraying the RTM heavily, it can't over power.

Delighted that you mentioned WRed Current, @cosmic1 . I was thinking of that one too, in that it's also atypical.

Red Current has a good amount of green, heavy wet earthy fragrance.  Someone described it as " wet dirt". Lol!

The Poppy is green but not as sweet, and very dry.

I totally disagree w the flowery description in the review listed upthread that was found on the WEN products page.   

Respected Contributor

I got a packet of the CC as a sample with one of my first two gallons this year, and based on that scent, I looked at the ingredients lists on all the SDP products, and decided to order the re-moist duo in it, since I didn't have as much re-moist in the closet as I thought I did when the big special on the duo first came out.  I agree with everyone else, it is a VERY hard scent to describe. 

To me, the overall scent is "dry/powdery", there is a very delicate, light floral note that hardly qualifies as floral, it is so light.  To me, with long-ago visits to the Oregon High Desert, what I have to say I smell when I saturate my hair with the remoist after a shower, for overnight treatment, is the scent of blooming creosote bush.  I don't know the scientific name for the plant, but it is a desert shrub that has small blossoms in the springtime.  The re-moist does not smell like creosote, please don't mis-quote me, it smells, to me, vaguely like creosote bush blossoms.  It is a pleasant scent, and nice to sleep in overnight, as some of the stronger re-moists, such as TT, would not be.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge. That is very interesting. Yes, stemy green is exactly what I was trying to say. Plus, the other scent is to me, lightly floral, but I could definitely tie that to the smell of the desert at certain times of the year.

I love that greenery scent. One of my favorite perfumes is Je Reviens by Worth and has a lot of green in it. I think that is why I really like WRC too — I never thought of wet dirt, lol, but I do like the smell of the ground after it rains (unless it has that wormy smell).
Esteemed Contributor

I've been wanting to post something about these WEN fragrance thoughts for a while.  

I think Chaz has been very bold with Desert Poppy and Red Currant. I'd put Mandarin Italian Fig in that "atypical" group too.

It's a huge investment to developed and release a whole group of products in a brand new scent.

Oh sure, they test reactions to scent. But the real test is after the release, as proved by the widely appealing Winter Vanilla Mint, and the yin to it's yang, Fall Apple Spice.

Look at the range of fragrances in products offered by Philosophy, Nick & Tweaked, Josie Marin, and other big sellers. What they have in common is that they're all pretty safe. Most WEN scents are pretty safe too. I'm not faulting them for that, as I said, it's a huge investment.

I'm simply saying now and then it seems Chaz steps away from the "safe" zone, takes an edgier and more creative risk in fragrance and pitches a curve ball. 

This one smells like a place...this one smells like a time...and those are the ones that are so hard to describe.

I admire and respect him for that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The poppy cc scent is a bit different from the poppy RTM.

I'm at the end of a Spring Desert Poppy RTM I've been using for weeks.

But I ordered a pint of SDPoppy cc from Chaz and have done two cleanses.

And now I understand the reference to Spring Orange Blossom in that review you posted @quadmimi .

As I frothed up the poppy cc there was a note reminiscent of SOB cc, but it's not the leading note.  

The poppy RTM never made me think of SOB, so smelling that note in the poppy cc took me by surprise.

As to performance, used alone the SOB isn't suited to my hair type and leaves me frizzy dry.

The Poppy cleans well, leaves my hair soft, moisturized, and non-frizzy.

....hmmm, think I need a poppy Remoist, @CamilleP . Hope Chaz offers it in this year's GMA Deals & Steals.

@ValentinaBon