WEN

Respected Contributor

Re: Please help me to get good 2nd day hair

Hi.  I can go two days but waking on the third day, it's very oily but that's because I have an extremely oily scalp, always have.  My earth father was like that, very oily.  My hair was down to my waist, I cut it up to the bottom of my shoulders May 2016 and now it's to the bottom of my shoulder blades.  I use the oil three nights per week.  My hair has a natural wave in it and is medium in texture.  I'm going platinum but not by choice.  I don't color anymore, don't want the commitment.  I have found that even though I wear my natural color, Wen makes it so much more rich.  I digress, back to the business at hand.  I think the other poster nailed it, some just can't seem to achieve going too long between cleanses.  Now, on the other hand, if your scalp is moderately dry you could probably go a few days without any problem.  My husband has extremely dry scalp and if he didn't cleanse in a month you'd never know it.  grrrrrrrr.   LOL!  He's not going white as quickly as I am.  His hair is very coarse.  If I had his hair, there'd be no stopping me! LOL!

Respected Contributor

CamilleP.  Yes, I feel using the oil on my scalp helps to normalize my scalp too since mine is VERY oily.  I use it three nights per week.  I can skip one day of not cleansing but day three it's time to cleanse.  With shampoo I could not even do one day skip.  Even though I have very oily scalp I don't skip using leave in, it's what makes incredible bounce, shine and movement and body.  It's a good idea to use it in just the mids though.  If you use a blow dryer, the styling creme is important as it protects against the heat.  I think people born with oily scalp probably have more of an issue with this so much more than people with more dry scalp.  A very dry scalp can cause issues too though but that's another episode. LOL!

Super Contributor

One other tip just in case you're not overloaded yet Smiley Happy - make sure to add enough water when you're cleansing. It should become nice and light, sort of frothy. I think the degree of frothiness can depend on the formula. I'm not sure how frothy, for example, Fig gets since it's quite moisturizing.

Give yourself a good, gentle scalp massage, back and forth, not in circles so you don't tangle your hair. Keep massaging it while you rinse out and/or, if you have it, use the Wen comb. I find it helps the water flow through the hair to more quickly rinse Wen out.

Regular Contributor

I don't have a good answer to your question.  Do you not want to wash it every day?  I'm just asking because even tho I've been using WEN for three years, I still cleanse every morning.  My hair is thin and fine, and after sleeping on it, it's all plastered to my head in the morning.  I've tried RTM, but it doesn't do much.  Since I wash every day, I only do one cleanse and it works fine.

I probably could go a second day without washing, but I don't feel right.  Even when I go for a cut, it makes me crazy that I can't wash my hair before I leave the house.  A lot of people can go multiple days without cleansing, but with my hair type, it just doesn't work for me.

Respected Contributor

I usually cleanse twice a week and my 2nd/3rd day hair never looks as good as the first.  But it doesn't look oily, just not as fluffy and neat looking.  I also have to be careful not to use too much heat on those days or my hair will frizz.  I've played around with various practices -- spraying lightly with water/applying some mousse/light blowdry or volumizing brush, light water/RTM and volumizing brush, etc.  Some days it does look pretty good, other days not as much.  But I can also look fine when I leave the house and once the weather elements hit my head, it's a different story!  Fog, rain, mist are all not my hair's friend!

I wouldn't cleanse daily for a couple of reasons -- 1.  My hair isn't dirty on day two and 2. I'm trying to maintain my color (and regardless of what Chaz says about color not fading with WEN, the more I wash/cleanse the more it will fade).

Trusted Contributor

@Crislovestoshop I cleanse daily because my hair just looks and feels better when I do.

Are you noticing a difference with the different formulas you use?  I ask because for me and several other posters, Fall Vanilla White Pumpkin is extremely moisturizing and there is no way my hair would look decent on the second day with it.  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Def recommend using more water to make it frothy as previously stated. And rinse very well. I find the kitchen sprayer works best. It's prob kinda ghetto to wash hair in the sink but there's no where near enough water pressure to do it in the shower. 

My hair texture is similar to yours. The peony formula works best imo. For second day hair, I recommend pin curling it at night...I'm sure you've seen the demos... and spritzing lightly with the peony replenishing treatment mist. I've used them all but for finer hair textures it gives the most bounce and lift...just a couple squirts is enough. In the am, just take out the pins(I use bobby pins, Chaz uses these prong clips that hurt to sleep in), shake your hair out and you're ready to go. The RTM gives you the setting power overnight and locks in the body and style. I swear by this method, and i think it could help you too. ✌🏻

Valued Contributor

@chickenmoo wrote:

Def recommend using more water to make it frothy as previously stated. And rinse very well. I find the kitchen sprayer works best. It's prob kinda ghetto to wash hair in the sink but there's no where near enough water pressure to do it in the shower. 

My hair texture is similar to yours. The peony formula works best imo. For second day hair, I recommend pin curling it at night...I'm sure you've seen the demos... and spritzing lightly with the peony replenishing treatment mist. I've used them all but for finer hair textures it gives the most bounce and lift...just a couple squirts is enough. In the am, just take out the pins(I use bobby pins, Chaz uses these prong clips that hurt to sleep in), shake your hair out and you're ready to go. The RTM gives you the setting power overnight and locks in the body and style. I swear by this method, and i think it could help you too. ✌🏻

@chickenmooI wash my hair in the kitchen sink, too - LOL!  When my hair started getting longer, I realized my shower no longer had enough water pressure to rinse it thoroughly - the kitchen sink works much, much better.

@Crislovestoshop  I can't seem to get nice second day hair, either.  Only on Sunday mornings do i skip washing my hair, and then I use the WEN mousse to liven it up.  The mousse hasn't been working well for me in the last few months on first day hair, but on second day hair I find it works great.  Not great enough for me to skip washing more than once a week, but for that one day, the WEN mousse gives me very satisfactory results.  Hope you find a method that works for you!