WEN

Respected Contributor

Opened last year - should I toss?

I have a 16oz bottle of Tropical that I used last year on my vacation. Manuf. date is 4/2017 and I opened it 4/18 and now I was going to take it with us on out vacation but I'm wondering if I should just toss it? Still smells "okay" but I wanted to run it by you experts first  Smiley Happy   Thank you!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opened last year - should I toss?

My family doctor and my dermatologist tell me that these expiration dates are meaningless. They want me to use the meds despite the expiration date.

Honored Contributor

I keep many of mine long after manufacturing date. My understanding is once it is open, you get the best results if you use it within one year of opening it. However, I have used bottles that have been opened longer than that.

The way I determine if I will keep WEN is (1) if it still smells good; (2) if it has not changed in color; and (3) if it still performs well. Works for me! Heart

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler   Good rules to follow, smells okay, I'll check the color real good and try it at least once before we take it with us on vacation.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl  You're welcome!

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with @World Traveler , I have used Wen I,ve had longer than that.  I don’t see why it would lose its effectiveness. But if it smelled or felt bad or different, I wouldn’t use.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl - As the others have said, I would have no problem using it unless it smelled bad. I use some past the expiration date. And I like the seasonal body treatments. Those are way too costly to get rid of once the next season rolls around, so I put the lid on and put it away until I use it again. So far I haven't had a problem! Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

The only thing I’ve ever noticed in a situation like that is that the fragrance isn’t as strong as when brand new.  The effectiveness remained the same.

In fact, there have been a few formulas I’ve received that had fragrance that was too strong for me.  So I leave the bottle open and uncapped for a few months to purposely diminish the smell.

Esteemed Contributor

@SandGirl - I would not toss it - I agree with @World Traveler.

Esteemed Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

I have a 16oz bottle of Tropical that I used last year on my vacation. Manuf. date is 4/2017 and I opened it 4/18 and now I was going to take it with us on out vacation but I'm wondering if I should just toss it? Still smells "okay" but I wanted to run it by you experts first  Smiley Happy   Thank you!!!

Hi @SandGirl 

If you contact Chaz's CS they'll tell you the product is good for "at least" two years after opening. They'll tell you the countdown starts when the bottle is opened to common air, and you write the seal was broken in 2018.

However, over the years many WEN users have posted here they've had bottles open 3, 4, and more years before finishing them, without any product failure. (Failure would be separation, off odor or color). I recently finished a quart I opened in 2015 (dated 2014).

This assumes normal precautions in storage ...you haven't stored it with the cap or pump off, in the sunlight, set on top of the heater, and contaminated it by pouring/sticking something foreign into it.

Have a good trip!  🌺🍍😎