WEN

Respected Contributor

OT: Good Dogs - @AmericanBulldogMom

@AmericanBulldogMom I just saw this horrible article about a pittie mauling someone. It looked more like your boy than what I think of as a Pitbull so I googled a bit. What a confusion of breeds with similiar roots! Then I wondered how you were able to find a good puppy. I am sure you have people thinking he is to be feared but it is obvious he wasn't bred for fierceness and has an excellent and loving disposition. Have you encountered any issues where you live? 💋🐕

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT: Good Dogs - @AmericanBulldogMom

@Kjelle - it was an adopted pit from a center that rehabs them (similar to that show on Animal Planet about pitbulls). From what I understand, it mauled the grandmother (I guess she lived with the family, not sure). 

A very sad story for all, Riley1

Frequent Contributor

A pit bull got away from it's owner, ran into MY garage and killed my little dog.  The owner said he was sorry., that his dog was good with his little girls!  I had to beat the pit over the head with a trash can to break it free from my dog.  The stupid owner picked up his dog and threw it in his truck and ran.  A neighbor knew who he was but said his name was John Smith.  I don't know what I would have done if my little granddaughter was out there which she was just moments before.  It was the most horrendous thing I've ever witnessed.  The pit even bit his owner while he was trying to pull it back.  I can't tell you how I can't even stom9the sight of one now.  I hope I find the owner so I can sue him and get the dog euthanized before it turns on his children. 

Frequent Contributor

This

@Kjelle wrote:

@AmericanBulldogMom I just saw this horrible article about a pittie mauling someone. It looked more like your boy than what I think of as a Pitbull so I googled a bit. What a confusion of breeds with similiar roots! Then I wondered how you were able to find a good puppy. I am sure you have people thinking he is to be feared but it is obvious he wasn't bred for fierceness and has an excellent and loving disposition. Have you encountered any issues where you live? 💋🐕

This happened this past Memorial Day.
Trusted Contributor

Thats a sad situation. 

I really dont like the way some people classify entire breeds of dogs as dangerous. Dogs are as much a product of their environment as children. A good home and proper training is needed for all dogs, sadly they dont all get that.

#IAmTeamWen
Respected Contributor

@Kjelle wrote:

@Kjelle You have hit on a subject for that I could talk about for days. LOL! I am very familiar with the stereotypes that come along with owning "bully breeds" as we will call them. I am a HUGE advocate for these breeds, very misunderstood. I fell in love with the bully breeds at a young. It's the tough exterior with the big mushy heart inside that gets me. 

I did a ton of research and knew the American Bulldog was for me and found a fantastic breeder not too far from my home. I just got really lucky to have one so close. That was 20 years ago now and for me, my home would never be complete with one. That breeder that I was lucky enough to find is now a very close friend of mine and is also where I got Rip.  She's become one of the most respected AB breeders in the country. I train with her, show with her, etc. 

After having AB's for 20yrs now I have definitely come across the negativity.  He is very often initially perceived as being very intimidating and thought of as a "huge pit bull". When people see him wagging his tail as they get closer and are kind enough to ask about him, they are pleasantly surprised. He's a great ambassador for the breed. Everyone walks away thanking me for meeting him. He's also the first American Bulldog many of the general public meet - which is why most assume he's a "huge pit bull". LOL! I take him everywhere I can to dispell all the bad things and misconceptions people hear and that the media spreads.  Some people have their minds made up that these dogs are just bad. Those people I don't waste my time on. But to everyone who's willing to learn, meet him, etc. I will talk to you all day. My son was 9mo's old when my first AB came home at 9 wks old. They grew up as best friends, just as Rip is now my son's best friends and he's 20 yrs old now. While my son was still in HS I took Rip to every one of his home track meets. Everyone loved him...especially the kids, and he loved them all as well.  No one meets him without getting bulldog kisses.  LOL! I'd bring him up into the stands and sit and he just ate up all the attention. Again, it's good for people to meet a well bred dog like Rip, to ease their judgements, etc. I work very hard socializing him, etc.  My very first AB was a Certified Therapy Dog. 

I could go on and on and I am sure you regret asking me this question after my way too long response.  But I am very passionate about these dogs and work very hard to show the public these dogs are not all monsters. I love my big baby!! Thanks for asking @Kjelle, I really do appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom It is great to hear how involved you are with the breed. Actually, thanks for the long answer. These breeds obviously started as great family dogs and were at one time THE most popular family dog. It is a shame what has happened with bad breeding and irresponsible ownership. It's bad to be judgemental but sometimes I see people with them and they are yanking at the leash, acting sketchy (the dogs AND the owners :- o) and I just hate it because you know the dog is not being trained, properly socialized and taught to be a proper canine citizen. Forget about consistency.

One day maybe knowledgeable and kind people like you can rehab enough dogs, secure the breeding and educate enough people that things will turn around. You and Rip are a good start. Cheers to you for what you have done for the dogs. 🏆

Valued Contributor

I don't own a dog nor have I had one.  I'm a cat person.  But long story

short, My neighbor used to breed pittbulls.  One night while talking stories

with my daughter, I sent her outside to bring in her cat.  Well, instead of

the cat coming home, my neighbors dog walked right into my house 

and just sat down in my kitchen!  Can you just imagine what my face

looked like?  But, he was so friendly, wagging his tale.  And so we 

took him home.  BUT, if you go to their house...that's a whole 

different story.  He protects very well.  

It's how you raise them.  

Respected Contributor

@AlohaSun Great story. You were claimed! Also love that you used that phrase 'talking story'. You very rarely hear that.

Valued Contributor

@Kjelle wrote:

@AlohaSun Great story. You were claimed! Also love that you used that phrase 'talking story'. You very rarely hear that.

@Kjelle Is that what it means?  There's another dog who lives right next door,

whenever anyone other than family, comes over, she doesn't stop barking

until they leave!  I love that.  She watches out for us.  And my neighbor

knows.....I give her treats just to say thank you.

Yeah, we do "talk story" about nothings and everything else under the sun.