WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT: Good Dogs - @AmericanBulldogMom

@AmericanBulldogMom - Thank you for your story about your dog. It was truly heartfelt!

Frequent Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

Thats a sad situation. 

I really dont like the way some people classify entire breeds of dogs as dangerous. Dogs are as much a product of their environment as children. A good home and proper training is needed for all dogs, sadly they dont all get that.

I wish I could offer a heartfelt apology, but I cannot.   The owner said his dog was so sweet and was like a "baby". I wish I could show you the torn, ripped body of my little 10 pound dog who suffered greatly before she died in my arms.  I get that you don't want me to judge a breed by that incident, but how would you feel about a breed who killed your pet or even your child?  Would you still be so understanding?  I get what you said, now try to understand my "bad situation".

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Halidon wrote:

@nikki48 wrote:

Thats a sad situation. 

I really dont like the way some people classify entire breeds of dogs as dangerous. Dogs are as much a product of their environment as children. A good home and proper training is needed for all dogs, sadly they dont all get that.

I wish I could offer a heartfelt apology, but I cannot.   The owner said his dog was so sweet and was like a "baby". I wish I could show you the torn, ripped body of my little 10 pound dog who suffered greatly before she died in my arms.  I get that you don't want me to judge a breed by that incident, but how would you feel about a breed who killed your pet or even your child?  Would you still be so understanding?  I get what you said, now try to understand my "bad situation".

@Halidon,  my MIL lost her beloved best buddy and companion, Princess to the same type of attack by another breed of dog. I loved her as well, she got along well with my dog Cali. Even though there was 50 lbs of difference between the two, you couldnt tell Princess she was a little dog... she was the princess and thats all there was to it.  My husband and I sent her a beautiful pink bed with her name "Princess" stitched across the front. She was sweetly spoiled from her first day until her last. My MIL accepted the apology from the owner and the owner paid all of the final expenses for her Princess. Sometimes we forget that these are animals and they relate to each other as such.

I used to babysit a little boy and his sister before and after school as both of their parents worked long hours. One day while the boy was at the playground with my kids a dog attacked him. The kids tried to pull the dog off him and finally she released him but started coming after my daughter. My daughter was running towards our house screaming with the dog chasing her as I heard her and walked up. I approached the dog and stood my ground yelling as my daughter ran behind me. The dog stopped and then ran to its owner's son that was calling for it. This was a German Shepherd. That little boy had such severe injuries to his head and face that not only did I have to keep his mother from attacking the woman that owned the dog, the base declared the dog had to be put down. Even after seeing what was done to a little boy that couldnt hurt a fly and the dog attempt to attack my own child... I still cried when the military police and base Animal Control came to collect the dog.

My daughter was afraid of shepherds after that so when hubby and I decided to get a dog, we chose a German Shepherd. We wanted to let her know that one dog is not all dogs and there was no reason for her to be in fear. We had almost seven beautiful years with Cali until she died of cancer. She was the most loving and obedient dog, she was properly trained because I wanted to show my girls the difference when time, energy and love is given. My daughter ovecame her fear but sadly, the little boy did not. He was still very scared of dogs so we didnt let even Cali around him. Understandable but still sad.

I understand pain, I dont understand demanding the death of an animal as easily as ordering food. I dont understand proclaiming all of a breed as dangerous and even spreading that misinformation. My post wasnt directed just for you but in general because I dont agree with the label "dangerous breed". All in all, I am sorry for your loss.

BTW, there is never a time its ok to bring up the even hypothetical imagining of someone's child being murdered.

#IAmTeamWen
Respected Contributor

@Halidon wrote:

@nikki48 wrote:

Thats a sad situation. 

Its entirely believable that his dog is a big baby. But many breeds, including bully breeds (pit bulls, etc) are known to have a high prey drive (higher than some sight hounds, etc) Its just part of their breeding. Small animals including small dogs like yours bring out the "chase" in many dogs. Doesn't mean they are bad dogs or even aggressive, (or that they go around killing children 🙄) its just part of their DNA. Now in saying that, owners of dogs with high prey drive like the one that went after your dog need to keep their dogs either leashed or contained (securely fenced in area) at all times to avoid what happened. It's called being a responsible dog owner 

In saying the above, its very sad what you went through. But its a perfect example of being misinformed and being uneducated - meaning not knowing what breeds of dogs are bred for what and confusing a dog with prey drive as being an aggressive dog. There are many sweet dogs in this world, "big babies", that will chase small animals/dogs. Responsible owners recognize this and know how to responsibly deal with/control it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so did not want this thread to be a place to bad mouth dogs or go negative in any way. I think others felt the same way which was why WENners stayed positive. I plan not to have any more conv. On this thread unfortunately and I hope everyone will djust leave it alone. That said, @nikki48 your response was considered, acknowledging and well thought out and quite caring. I don't know if will be taken as such, unfortunately. 

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012