WEN

Honored Contributor

O/T- regarding recycling

[ Edited ]

Since we got a wonderful tip about bringing Styrofoam peanuts to UPS stores for recycling, I thought I'd ask- does anyone know where (or if) we can recycle gel packs that are in food or mail-order Rx packages? Or how about Styrofoam used in packaging (non-peanuts)?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T- regarding recycling

@HappyDaze...what does O/T mean?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@HappyDaze...what does O/T mean?

Off topic.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze...thanks! That has had me puzzled forever!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

My local art school gets the styrofoam for projects.

The gel packs go in the freezer and we use them for minor injuries.  You can always take them back to the manufacturer for reuse.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I save all the bubble wrap bags we get with orders and reuse them to pack all my decorative items,  They really make life so much easier.  

Trusted Contributor

Do you have a local recycling facility?  If so, ask them.  I was surprised by some of the things that our county facility will take.  They recently added collections for old clothes,  blankets, pillows, & fabric items that are too old or damaged to be donated to charity/thrift places.  We also have a local mover who will take packing items.

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

My local art school gets the styrofoam for projects.

The gel packs go in the freezer and we use them for minor injuries.  You can always take them back to the manufacturer for reuse.

Yes we reuse them too but because we get so many of them on a regular basis, we have to get rid of some. I don't need more than a few. I get through the mail with medications so I can't really take them back.

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

Do you have a local recycling facility?  If so, ask them.  I was surprised by some of the things that our county facility will take.  They recently added collections for old clothes,  blankets, pillows, & fabric items that are too old or damaged to be donated to charity/thrift places.  We also have a local mover who will take packing items.

Yeah, they don't take it, at least not the one close to me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

I save all the bubble wrap bags we get with orders and reuse them to pack all my decorative items,  They really make life so much easier.  

I reuse the bubble wrap too. All of that gets saved and I use it to pack items away but also when I send out gifts. I noticed some of the bubble wrap now is biodegradable so that is cool!