WEN

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkmochi ,

When I read your OP I recognized your nick from WEN threads years ago.

Have you been trying to "conserve" cleansing conditioner because it's expensive, like the ladies you mention in your OP?

Watching Chaz on Q, I decided if I was going to lay out this much money, I was going to use it the right way. Use full amount recommended for my long hair, two cleanses, leave in, the works.

As a result, WEN worked better for me on the first cleanse than any shampoo ever had. And my first newbie WEN purchase certainly wasn't the best formula choice for my hair.

I suspect a lot of people come at WEN backwards. When their hair is most damaged, stripped, weak and out of control they need a formula with the most treatment their hair tolerates, as often as possible, with the goal of bringing it around to a healthier state.

Instead they buy the lowest treatment level (Classics) and try to get by with half the amount, or only one cleanse/no repeat, twice a week, no leave in, and call it junk.

😖

The 'infamous' WEN learning curve isn't just learning how to get the best from WEN. I came to understand not just the formulas & treatment levels//ancillaryproducts, but the methods in using them that are right for the characteristics of my particular hair.

After 60 years I finally understood my always difficult, wayward hair. That's worth every penny I ever paid for WEN.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@pinkmochi ,

Have you been trying to "conserve" cleansing conditioner because it's expensive, like the ladies you mention in your OP?

Watching Chaz on Q, I decided if I was going to lay out this much money, I was going to use it the right way. Use full amount recommended for my long hair, two cleanses, leave in, the works.

As a result, WEN worked better for me on the first cleanse than any shampoo ever had. And my first newbie WEN purchase certainly wasn't the best formula choice for my hair.

I suspect a lot of people come at WEN backwards. When their hair is most damaged, stripped, weak and out of control they need a formula with the most treatment their hair tolerates, as often as possible, with the goal of bringing it around to a healthier state.

Instead they buy the lowest treatment level (Classics) and try to get by with half the amount, or only one cleanse/no repeat, twice a week, no leave in, and call it junk.

😖

The 'infamous' WEN learning curve isn't just learning how to get the best from WEN. I came to understand not just the formulas & treatment levels//ancillaryproducts, but the methods in using them that are right for the characteristics of my particular hair.

After 60 years I finally understood my always difficult, wayward hair. That's worth every penny I ever paid for WEN.

@x Hedge  Yes, I was trying to conserve. Woman LOL And I've been trying to use it in different ways for a few years but never got the results that other people do. I know that my hair does look better when I use Fig as a first cleanse and Fig mixed with something for the second cleanse. I like the seasonals and the 613. I'm going to stop even trying other classics. I really want to try using it the right way this time. I have quite a bit to get through before I order any more. I'm hoping that he'll have the 3 bottles as the TSV again since I might be through my classics by then. Thanks for the encouragement! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@pinkmochi ,

😖

Touche'.... well said @x Hedge ! This could not be stated any better.

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkmochi 

Have gone to Chaz's site and used his Cleansing Conditioner Product Recommender? This may help with specific formulas more suited to your needs. I would link this but don't know how. Perhaps another kind Wenners will. I just Googled it.

Another item you might find useful is a little gizmo you can use to get the last of the CC and SC out of the bottles.  We all experience this. I'll look here, as the Q plus amazon sells these and see what I can specifically find. I do mix water into the bottom of my SC, using a long wooden coffee stirrer. 

You mention not wanting to make any purchases now but the thought crossed my mind that a seasonal mixed with your existing items may boost the results and kick up what you've experienced. The Beauty Steal could be a consideration if you use the Nourishing Body Treatment. These seasonal duos are priced substantially below the cost of an individual purchase.

Trusted Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@pinkmochi 

Have gone to Chaz's site and used his Cleansing Conditioner Product Recommender? This may help with specific formulas more suited to your needs. I would link this but don't know how. Perhaps another kind Wenners will. I just Googled it.

Another item you might find useful is a little gizmo you can use to get the last of the CC and SC out of the bottles.  We all experience this. I'll look here, as the Q plus amazon sells these and see what I can specifically find. I do mix water into the bottom of my SC, using a long wooden coffee stirrer. 

You mention not wanting to make any purchases now but the thought crossed my mind that a seasonal mixed with your existing items may boost the results and kick up what you've experienced. The Beauty Steal could be a consideration if you use the Nourishing Body Treatment. These seasonal duos are priced substantially below the cost of an individual purchase.

@rochelleS Yes, I did use the product recommender. It said that I need to use Fig, too, but of course I had to try others to find out for myself. LOL! I just did it again after you reminded me of it, and it said that Fig is the best, and 613 is second. I'm going to try those together tomorrow. That'd be great if you could let me know what the gizmo is! And I'll try mixing the bottom of the bottle with water and a chopstick since I don't have any coffee stirrers. Woman Tongue I already have some seasonals in my closet, so I'm going to mix those in with what I have. I really need to shop my stash. Even if they're not all what's best for my hair, I know it'll be better than what I've been doing. I just can't justify buying more when I have quite a bit already. Thank you again for your suggestions! I really appreciate it. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkmochi 

I'm curious, we're any seasonals recommended on Chaz's site? Also, I find the Bella Spirit to be very moisturizing, along with SHP and the SCM. SCM is too moisturizing for me though. 

Here's some pics of that shampoo saver gizmo. I improvised and used sprinkling system couplers I had on hand. Now I see they're sold at the Container Store. My cost, less than $1.00 at Lowes, lol. The Q only has the Flip It in multiples now, $20+++. Singles and duos available elsewhere. 

Screenshot_2019-06-09-15-02-24.png

Screenshot_2019-06-09-15-03-58-1.png 

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkmochi 

Fig and 613? That speaks volumes.

When my hair was in much worse condition I could use 613 straight, for 1st, 2nd, and leave in.

No longer tolerate that much intense treatment, but Seasonals aren't rich enough for solo use either, (except SCLV) so I add some percentage of 613 to whatever I use for 2nd cleanse.

Maybe half a pump, maybe 50% of the mix. Varies with the Seasonal.

See? You taper back intensity of treatment as hair improves. Many days only need the 613 (+oil) as the leave in.

But that's the minimum point for me.

I've used TT for a scalp issue, and like CA only on the scalp, but my hair needs MUCH more than what classics offer.

I'll never be someone who can just use Classics on the hair and have great results. 

You mentioned using another brand because it was easier to rinse out.

Try this.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@pinkmochi 

Fig and 613? That speaks volumes.

When my hair was in much worse condition I could use 613 straight, for 1st, 2nd, and leave in.

No longer tolerate that much intense treatment, but Seasonals aren't rich enough for solo use either, (except SCLV) so I add some percentage of 613 to whatever I use for 2nd cleanse.

Maybe half a pump, maybe 50% of the mix. Varies with the Seasonal.

See? You taper back intensity of treatment as hair improves. Many days only need the 613 (+oil) as the leave in.

But that's the minimum point for me.

I've used TT for a scalp issue, and like CA only on the scalp, but my hair needs MUCH more than what classics offer.

I'll never be someone who can just use Classics on the hair and have great results. 

You mentioned using another brand because it was easier to rinse out.

Try this.

@x Hedge  Thank you very much for all of your advice! I think the fig is great for my hair, and I think I like it most with the Tuscan Pear mixed into the second cleanse. The seasonals and 613 just smell so much better than the Fig. Woman Very Happy I'm definitely going to use more product and try things out to see what works. Thanks again! I really appreciate your time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rochelleS ,   

I am too cheap/poor/stubborn to shell out money for those flip-its. I had to find another way.

@Geller Girl used to recommend those for emptying WEN bottles. She loved the Flip-its and I don't think she liked the diluted Frankenbottles, or other variations that were so popular here.

But I always said Chaz gave me everything I needed in the kits I ordered.

When pumps were sucking air I removed the pumps and put the screw caps back on.

Then stood bottles on their heads using the shipping foam as tip-resistant, waterproof, unbreakable footing.

It worked for cheap/poor/stubborn me.

20171022_145731.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@rochelleS  wrote:

Touche'.... well said @Hedge ! This could not be stated any better.

Thank you @rochelleS .

You and PinkMochi have a nice Wenny afternoon.