WEN

Occasional Contributor

New to Wen, did I get the right one?

I purchased the recent TSV. Initially, I had the seasonals in my cart, but switched to Tea Tree after doing a quick Google search.

Now I'm wondering if Tea Tree was the best choice. My hair is very fine and wavy and also thin. It's pretty soft. My husband's is fine as well and my 2 teens have fine air, but a lot of it, especially my daughter. They do get the oily hair so need to wash daily.
Was Tea Tree the best choice for fine, oily hair? I thought too that it would help with the occasional winter dryness and dandruff.

What scents would you recommend for the future for fine wavy hair? TIA
Respected Contributor

Re: New to Wen, did I get the right one?

@Kris10MI I don’t think you can go wrong with TT. It’s a good place to start. I always use it for my 1st cleanse (and my scalp is a little more to the oily side.). Many who use Wen keep TT in their arsenal bc it has so many good benefits. I am sure others will chime in also.

Esteemed Contributor

TT is always on my WEN shelf. I use it alone, or mixed with another WEN formula for my 1st cleanse. It cures my itchy scalp.
TT is the solution for a variety of hair/scalp problems.
Respected Contributor

Chaz always says tea tree is problem/solution so I think you made the right choice!

Honored Contributor

@Kris10MI

First, welcome to WEN!  I hope you enjoy a long and fruitful relationship and enjoy it as much as we all do.

In my opinion, given the choice of TSV formulas, Tea Tree is probably a better selection for you than the Seasonals.  I have long, straight, fine, soft hair (not colored).  It used to be oily, before WEN (and aging!).  I use Tea Tree all the time; in fact, it’s one of the formulas that work best for me.  I think it works better for me than Cucumber Aloe, which Chaz always recommends for oily hair.

I’ll share my experience with you when I first started with WEN.  I hated it!  I tried all the classics (they were the only ones available at the time).  I didn’t even finish the bottles before tossing them out.  I figured it just wasn’t for me.  I waited several years, then tried it again.  This time, I experimented.  I found out I wasn’t using enough water to emulsify the product when cleansing.  Chaz always says to “use a splash of water”.  Well, I use much more than a “splash”.  That was one key for me.  And I also experimented with the amount of cleansing conditioner to use.  And how much to use in the second rinse.  And a bunch of other things.

My basic point is don’t be afraid to find out what works for you.  And if you find that you are having problems, come back to this forum and ask questions.  All of these ladies are WEN experts!  And they will gladly give you suggestions and tips.

Good luck and Happy WENing!

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much!

I'll make sure to add water! Those are helpful tips.

Now that you say that, I do remember trying Wen a few years ago and I think it was seasonal which I ended up using as conditioner to use it up because alone they ended up making my hair more greasy feeling. I'll try these tips this time!

Thanks ladies, for all the feedback!
Regular Contributor

Bebe777,

would you you please share your Wen products for hair care?

I have the same hair type as you and am confused as to what products would work best for my extremely fine, thin, baby hair.

I ordered all 3 TSVs, but do not know if I should “leave in” any conditioner or styling cream. I am afraid it will make my hair flat and oily.

Also, do you use the mousse or texture spray?

any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Super Contributor

Although my story is a bit different, I’m with @geezerette in that I didn’t think I would continue with Wen until I happened to see a photo of myself - more specifically my hair - taken after a month of using Wen.  While I loved the way Wen made my hair feel and it was tangle free, it cost more than what I had been using before Wen and I wasn’t sure the luxurious feel would be a reason to continue.  Well, that photo showed me that I hadn’t quite appreciated everything else it was doing for my hair (shinier, more volume, less frizz, way better color retention - I dye my hair).  That photo showed me the real benefits of Wen for me and I’ve been a Wenner for years now.

As for tea tree, it’s a good formula to start with.  I have fine, thick, wavy hair and it was good for me (although my HG turned out to be fig.  Now that all my non-Wen hair grew out, I can use just about any formula with great results).

One thing to know about tea tree is that it is not a pretty or subtle scent.  If you’ve used any tea tree products before, you’ll know what I mean.  If you haven’t, just know that other Wen products do not smell as medicinal and strong, and some have very lovely scents.  I personally like the smell of tea tree, but it’s not for everybody.  I don’t mention this as a discouragement, but just so that you know, in case it turns out to be a scent that isn’t your favorite, that there are other Wen cleansing conditioners that might be very good for your hair that have a very different scent.

I hope you love your purchase and welcome to Wen!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kris10MI wrote:
Thank you so much!

I'll make sure to add water! Those are helpful tips.

Now that you say that, I do remember trying Wen a few years ago and I think it was seasonal which I ended up using as conditioner to use it up because alone they ended up making my hair more greasy feeling. I'll try these tips this time!

Thanks ladies, for all the feedback!

If Wen was making your hair greasy - any formula - you may not have been using enough.  a few quick tips:

• Be sure your hair is soaking wet down to the scalp before applying Wen.  This really helps.
  • When you first switch from shampoo it seems silly to put so much Wen on your head, but it’s a gentle cleanser, so more is needed.  Definitely follow the directions for how much is needed for your length.
  • as already mentioned, add more water...I tilt my head back into the shower stream for a second or two,then really work it around.  It won’t suds up, but will get foamy.
  • Do some other shower tasks for a minute or two, then rinse and start a second cleanse.
  • finish another 3-5 mins of your shower (or until you’ve done with everything else...this stuff won’t hurt your hair so you can leave it in quite a while).  Rinse out the Wen.  I find it only takes 15-20 seconds for me, others say it takes longer (a minute or more), but it probably  depends in the length of your hair and the type of water you have.
  • Add a pump back into your hair as a leave in.  Do not put any near your scalp or you will indeed have greasy feeling hair soon.  Just put it from the mid shaft down.  
  • If you have some of the styling creme, add that.  If you don’t have this yet, it’s a great product to try in the future.
  • Try not to vigorously towel dry your hair sinc ethat adds to frizz and breakage.  Use an old T-shirt, a mincorfiber towel or use a regular towel, just gently squeezing the excess moisture out versus rubbing.

good luck!

Frequent Contributor

Hi @Kris10MI! I think you made the perfect choice to begin your Wen journey. My hair is very much like yours & TT is the bedrock of my Wen arsenal - & has remained so for my seven years as a Wen girl. You will gradually learn how to add & use the other formulas, including the seasonals, as you use the products. Please come to the forum if you have questions or need advice - we are all here to help each other! Good luck!