WEN

Contributor
Is there a learning curve? I recently started back with Wen I use tea tree Mandarin fig. If my hair feels a little stiff after I air dry it, is it because I put in too much leave in conditioner or that I didn't rinse enough after my second cleanse? I appreciate everybody's help
Honored Contributor

@Lori1962 One of the things I did wrong when I first tried WEN was that I did not use enough. I now use a golf ball size of WEN on my very short hair for both the first cleanse and use the same amount for the last cleanse.

The other thing I did wrong was that I skipped the second cleanse at first. My short hair didn't get that dirty, so I thought "why do another cleanse/condition?"

Now that I use enough WEN and don't skip the second cleanse (which works as a conditioner), my hair is wonderful. Heart

Contributor
I do that. I think I use enough and I do do a second cleanse. My question is more my hair was kind of you couldn't get your hands through it. I didn't know if I was using too much as a leave-in or not rinsing enough after my second cleanse.
Respected Contributor

Lori, I think you might be using too much leave-in, or else your hair might not be wet enough when you are applying it.  I have shoulder-length, fine, slightly wavy (permed) hair, and I use one pump of leave-in from a 32 ounce bottle if I want my hair soft and silky, and I comb it through well after slight drying (t-shirt wrap).  If I want a beachwave look, I use two pumps, work it well through my wet hair, wrap in a t-shirt, and then just barely, very lightly finger-comb and let air dry.  The leave-in acts like hair-spray for hold, but it is stiff, no doubt about it, so I think I know what you are feeling with your hair being stiff.  Try using  less leave-in and working it well through your very wet hair, even use the fine-toothed side of your WEN comb to work it through, and I think that might help your result.

Contributor
Thank you
Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Lori, I think you might be using too much leave-in, or else your hair might not be wet enough when you are applying it.  I have shoulder-length, fine, slightly wavy (permed) hair, and I use one pump of leave-in from a 32 ounce bottle if I want my hair soft and silky, and I comb it through well after slight drying (t-shirt wrap).  If I want a beachwave look, I use two pumps, work it well through my wet hair, wrap in a t-shirt, and then just barely, very lightly finger-comb and let air dry.  The leave-in acts like hair-spray for hold, but it is stiff, no doubt about it, so I think I know what you are feeling with your hair being stiff.  Try using  less leave-in and working it well through your very wet hair, even use the fine-toothed side of your WEN comb to work it through, and I think that might help your result.

@CamilleP  great advice..I get the stiff feeling some also..I have super super fine chin length hair..using the comb after the leave-in, I never did til I was watching one of Chaz's video's on his site...after I started using the comb to work my leave-in thru it helped alot..Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Lori1962

I use a lot of leave in. I know what you mean. Rather  than trying to run a comb thru it like that, take both hands and 'crush' your hair all over. It'll get soft.

I use at least 20 pumps of mousse, and a lot of leave in. It can get that stiffer feeling until I crush it after it's completely air dried.

Chaz has recently given the ok to adding more CC to 2nd or 3rd day hair, and leaving it to dry a little stiff, then crushing it. As with the mousse, the hold remains but the stiffness becomes softness.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need guidance

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

@Lori1962

I use a lot of leave in. I know what you mean. Rather  than trying to run a comb thru it like that, take both hands and 'crush' your hair all over. It'll get soft.

I use at least 20 pumps of mousse, and a lot of leave in. It can get that stiffer feeling until I crush it after it's completely air dried.

Chaz has recently given the ok to adding more CC to 2nd or 3rd day hair, and leaving it to dry a little stiff, then crushing it. As with the mousse, the hold remains but the stiffness becomes softness.

@x HedgeYes my reference to the comb was while still wet in the shower...even with fine thin baby type hair I wouldn't want to run a comb thru it if it was dry & stiff....

you use 20 pumps of mousse...you must have a lot of hair!..Smiley Happy  I wish I did...Smiley Happy

(I will try crushing method on my dry hair)

Honored Contributor

@Lori1962 wrote:
Is there a learning curve? I recently started back with Wen I use tea tree Mandarin fig. If my hair feels a little stiff after I air dry it, is it because I put in too much leave in conditioner or that I didn't rinse enough after my second cleanse? I appreciate everybody's help

@Lori1962

What type of CC are you using?  I don’t know what you mean ‘tea tree mandarin fig’. Are you saying tea tree first cleanse, and then

mandarin Italian fig for second cleanse?

What type of hair do you normally have?

Do you process your hair in any way?  Perm, color, straightener?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need guidance

[ Edited ]

Oh, not referencing your post @quadmimi. In fact I should've written 'fingers', as the OP did, not a comb. Sorry.

@quadmimi, I wasted nearly a whole bottle of 613 mouse trying to find the best way to use it.

Here i was, trying 3 pumps one day, 4 pumps another day, thinking I was being generous with it.

Then Chaz sez the model uses 30 or 40 pumps. wow!

The first time I tried 10 pumps is the first time I saw what the mousse could do for me. In my hair, anything less than 10 was a waste. 15 to 20 is normal now.

@Lori1962, I think the 'learning curve' comes from Chaz's products being so versatile!

I gave up trying to use styling cream on wet hair. Just a waste!

But I love what it does for my dry hair!

I use mousse generously on both wet and dry.

The texture balm, which most people don't use, is perfect for me.

And I use more CC as leave in, mixed with oil, than most hair can stand without going totally flat.

Don't look for absolutes...that's not WEN.

I'm still tinkering around with how much of what, when.

Not because I'm confused, but because it's so versatile, and i enjoy trying different things, getting different effects, with the products I love.