WEN

Frequent Contributor

Need Advice from the Wen Women/Girls/Men/Guys

Okay, this really has nothing to do with Wen.  However, I trust the Wen family. 

I'm planning to paint my apartment next weekend and need some help deciding on colors.  My living room furniture is creme with pops of orange, yellow, turquoise and green.  The tables and floor are a dark walnut.  I have a rug that has an abstract feel to it with the colors of the room.  The walls are the basic white right now and very boring.  I'm not a taupe or tan person.  I've been thinking about painting with a soft yellowish/gold.

The kitchen appliances are stainless and I have the KitchenAid standmixer in tangerine. and my Vitamix is turquoise.  I also have a green teapot.  My dinnerware is Fiesta in various colors.  Same wood floors throughout the apartment.  No clue what color to paint in here...maybe a yellow as well but a little brighter?

My bedroom.  The furniture is all a dark walnut and my bedding is gray and teal.  My rug is abstract teal and gray too.   I was thinking maybe a soft gray wall with an accent wall behind the bed in teal?  My bathroom is done in gray and teal too.  Maybe a lighter shade of teal for the walls?

The third bedroom...it has my Wen collection on black shelves.  I also have a walnut desk.  There's a walnut daybed with olive and creme bedding.  The rug is creme.  This is also my Sophia's and Skittles play room.  There's a cat tree and lots of doggie toys in here.

As you can see, I have no clue what I'm doing.  PLEASE HELP ME!!! 

Wen user for over 14 years.

Favorite formulas: TT, LAV, SCM, FTP, WCM, 613, MIF, BGT
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Advice from the Wen Women/Girls/Men/Guys

Hi @Lacey Skye Your color are two of my favorites.  The first color that popped in my head is green now it's going to be harder to describe the shade.  I would go with olive (avacado) just make sure it has yellow/gold undertones.  You could do one area a lighter shade the other more medium.  I would get some swatches and put them up or try out the new app Home Depot has been advertising.  Just so you know I do have an art background and some interior design experience.  I think this color will become a nice neutral and it goes with your other colors.  You could also use a color wheel.  Good luck and let me know what you choose.  Good luck,  I'll be painting soon too.

Respected Contributor

@Lacey Skye would any terra cottas or a Chinese red work anywhere. It sounds loud but makes a room very warm. I actually like the gold idea but I might go with an accent wall in a stronger full on gold. I just looked and saw Sherwin Williams Gusto Gold. Good luck!

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Honored Contributor

I love yellow, and it sounds as if it would fit in with your scheme.  

After some upgrading last Fall I though well, might as well paint too.  I used a light yellow/cream in 'public' areas, a slightly darker but not bright yellow in the bedrooms, and a soft gold in the baths.  Love it!

Basic accents are moss/olive green, Chinese red, black, and white.  

Have fun!  I've seen a new phone app that lets you picture your rooms with different colors.  May be Sherwin Williams, can't remember.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Lacey Skye lol, you probably don't want to hear this but... I think you might want to slow this process down and just live with your color samples for a while before you start painting... so you might want to put off painting for a few weeks. Smiley Happy

@ANewHue suggested using a color wheel which sounds like a great suggestion... lol, only I'm not quite sure exactly how you use it. beaches, can you share your expertise here. 

I think @Kjelle and @Drythe each suggested getting color swatches which you can tape to your walls to give you an idea of what your color choices will look like. 

I think beaches and Drythe also mentioned that Sherwin Williams has a new app which could be helpful. 

lol, I'd just say take a step back so you can give yourself a bit of time to look at the bigger picture... because you'll be living with the results for a long time (no one wants to have to do a quick repaint). Smiley Happy

___

I don't have any design background, but here are my thoughts...

I like the idea of a soft yellow for the living room and the kitchen. Yellow is one of those colors that makes people feel happy. I'd just go with a soft yellow so that it doesn't feel "in your face". I'm guessing that the kitchen connects to the living room which would make continuity of color a good idea. 

Off hand, I'm not sure what to suggest for your bedroom and your dog and cat's room. I think the one thing to keep in mind is that you want the colors in the various rooms to be in balance with each other. 

You mentioned that your have teal and grey accent furniture in your bedroom and that your bathroom walls are done in teal and grey. -- Can you give a fuller description of how the bathroom walls are painted? Is grey or teal the primary color? Also, even a light teal seems as though it might be a bit on the dark side and darker colors make rooms look smaller. 

Best of luck!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

Hi @Lacey Skye lol, you probably don't want to hear this but... I think you might want to slow this process down and just live with your color samples for a while before you start painting... so you might want to put off painting for a few weeks. Smiley Happy

@ANewHue suggested using a color wheel which sounds like a great suggestion... lol, only I'm not quite sure exactly how you use it. beaches, can you share your expertise here. 

I think @Kjelle and @Drythe each suggested getting color swatches which you can tape to your walls to give you an idea of what your color choices will look like. 

I think beaches and Drythe also mentioned that Sherwin Williams has a new app which could be helpful. 

lol, I'd just say take a step back so you can give yourself a bit of time to look at the bigger picture... because you'll be living with the results for a long time (no one wants to have to do a quick repaint). Smiley Happy

___

I don't have any design background, but here are my thoughts...

I like the idea of a soft yellow for the living room and the kitchen. Yellow is one of those colors that makes people feel happy. I'd just go with a soft yellow so that it doesn't feel "in your face". I'm guessing that the kitchen connects to the living room which would make continuity of color a good idea. 

Off hand, I'm not sure what to suggest for your bedroom and your dog and cat's room. I think the one thing to keep in mind is that you want the colors in the various rooms to be in balance with each other. 

You mentioned that your have teal and grey accent furniture in your bedroom and that your bathroom walls are done in teal and grey. -- Can you give a fuller description of how the bathroom walls are painted? Is grey or teal the primary color? Also, even a light teal seems as though it might be a bit on the dark side and darker colors make rooms look smaller. 

Best of luck!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@bebe777

I haven't painted any walls yet.  My bedroom furniture a dark walnut with the bedding in gray and teal.  My bathroom connects and I have teal and gray towels, etc.   I was thinking about painting the wall behind the bed as an accent wall in teal and the rest of the room in a soft gray.  The bathroom would be the soft gray too.

I'm leaning more towards a soft yellowish gold for the living room and the kitchen.

Frequent Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

Hi @Lacey Skye Your color are two of my favorites.  The first color that popped in my head is green now it's going to be harder to describe the shade.  I would go with olive (avacado) just make sure it has yellow/gold undertones.  You could do one area a lighter shade the other more medium.  I would get some swatches and put them up or try out the new app Home Depot has been advertising.  Just so you know I do have an art background and some interior design experience.  I think this color will become a nice neutral and it goes with your other colors.  You could also use a color wheel.  Good luck and let me know what you choose.  Good luck,  I'll be painting soon too.

@ANewHue

Thanks for the thoughts.  I stopped and picked up some sample paint today.  We'll see how they look.

Frequent Contributor

@Kjelle wrote:

@Lacey Skye would any terra cottas or a Chinese red work anywhere. It sounds loud but makes a room very warm. I actually like the gold idea but I might go with an accent wall in a stronger full on gold. I just looked and saw Sherwin Williams Gusto Gold. Good luck!

@Kjelle

Terra cotta would be too dark and I don't really care for red.  I am looking at going with the soft yellowish gold and a darker accent wall in the living room.

Frequent Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I love yellow, and it sounds as if it would fit in with your scheme.  

After some upgrading last Fall I though well, might as well paint too.  I used a light yellow/cream in 'public' areas, a slightly darker but not bright yellow in the bedrooms, and a soft gold in the baths.  Love it!

Basic accents are moss/olive green, Chinese red, black, and white.  

Have fun!  I've seen a new phone app that lets you picture your rooms with different colors.  May be Sherwin Williams, can't remember.

@Drythe

Picked up some paint samples this afternoon.  Really excited to try them out.