WEN

Respected Contributor

Re: My hair quit growing....

[ Edited ]

@turksmom There is a chemical in some hair color called ethanolamine. It is supposed to be easier on the hair and a less harsh odor than ammonia based hair colors. Recently it's been being blamed for hair loss. It is in Madison Reed color. I took a survey from MR. They contacted me when I mentioned in the survey I was experiencing hair loss. They cancelled my subscription. Check to see if those brands your stylist  uses has ethanolamine. It may be exasperating your issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@turksmom 

Seem to remember you posted about this about 3 years ago?

I thought at that time your hair dresser had no idea of the cause.

At that time your hair was breaking in th back.  I can’t imagine how  breakage in just one place can be attributed to a shampoo that goes all over your head.

You might see a dermatologist.

My thoughts are with @SurferWife 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

ITA with @SurferWife  regarding the use of Wen.  I have been using Wen about as long as her and also have short curly hair.  My hair holds color very well and I have no problem with growth, though I also believe menopause has slowed it down a bit, but so have I !!  (LOL)    Tea Tree is a good one to use, I also think the Lavender makes your hair grow faster, at least it did for me in the past.   Like others have said though, I would get a dermatologists opinion for sure.    Maybe change hair stylists or have her change the color brand she is using on you.  Good luck.

Contributor

Thanks, guys, for all the answers and advice! I really don't remember posting about this 3 years ago, but then, I might have! Yeah, the pure vanilla vs. vanilla extract had me shaking my head, too! I do think my problem is more breakage, than it actually quit growing, cause I do have dark roots showing up between appointments, but, very little, if any, is ever cut. I've talked with her about changing hair color brands for me, and she did buy some Paul Mitchell for me. That chemical mentioned is interesting, I'll check with her about that. Good to know it's in Madison Reed, because I was thinking about trying that.  I've had my thyroid checked too, so I know it's not that. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer me, and to suggest possible causes. I'm just about ready to quit coloring, period, and see where I'm at 6 months down the road! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@turksmom   I also doubt if the WEN is the cause of your hair breakage.  I don't color my hair, but I do get a perm every 6 months or so, which is another chemical stress on my hair.  If I were not using WEN cleansing conditioner and other ancilliary products I suspect I would have no hair at all.  I recently had to switch salons, as my previous stylist moved out of state, and my new stylist and her boss both agreed that my hair was remarkably strong, and even the ends, which had seen at least two previous perms, could handle another.  That has to be due to WEN, as my hair is naturally very fine, and being blonde, a little more fragile.

In addition to Tea Tree for my first cleanse, I always use leave-in conditioner and styling creme, and when I want to really define and hold my permed waves I use the Bella Spirit enhancing/defining treatment creme.  Having gone through menopause, I also began to experience thinning and slowing of hair growth, as well as my nails, so I began taking a vitamin supplement that is designed for hair, skin and nails, and when it was introduced I began using WEN Botanical Scalp and Hair tonic, and that has made a significan't difference in both density and growth speed, so I can highly recommend you consider that product. 

One thing is for sure, if my perms were causing so much damage that I thought my hair had stopped growing, I would immediately quit getting them, so my advise to you would be to stop coloring your hair for however long it takes to get it growing and healthy again, and then re-evaluate whether you want to resume coloring.  If you are worried about your natural color getting dull or brassy, consider trying WEN Bella Spirit Indigo cleansing conditioner, it really enhances hair color, whether natural or artificial.

Good luck on your hair rehab journey, I hope you find a good solution for your particular issue!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the hint, @Drythe .

@turksmom , there's a huge difference between hair that is brittle and breaks easily, and claiming your hair has stopped growing. 

Now that you've re-evaluated your situation I suggest you follow your impulse to stop coloring for at least six months.

In the interim use your WEN in the Bella Spirit or 613 lines to help your hair recover from all the damage.

Your hairdresser isn't doing you any favors by blaming WEN for years of damaged, brittle ends, and personally I'd dump her.

The first place I'd look for the cause is the haircoloring and the other cleanser you've used. Very hard water, chronic illness, heavy prolonged stress, some medication can cause this too. Not WEN.

Enjoyed your post very much @CamilleP .  Hope @turksmom reads it carefully.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge   Sorry, WEN does not work for many people.  It sure didn't work for me.

I am a hairdresser (retired) but still own a shop.  I have virgin hair.  No color, no perm, no chemical treatments of any kind.  I have no damage or problems, except my hair is oily which means I have to wash it everyday.

I tried WEN and it made my hair dry and brittle.  It was awful.  Never again for me.  I have washed my hair with Dawn dishwashing liquid and it works pretty good...better than WEN for sure. I normally use a shampoo for silver hair.

I gave my daughter the WEN, she loves it.

WEN does not work for everyone.  There is no product that will repair damage.  It can prevent damage or make the hair look better by nourishing and smoothing the cuticle layer, but the damage is still there.

I'd dump the WEN first before the hairdresser.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie , hello.

I see how that can happen. There's a lot of WEN to choose from. It's unfortunate you didn't have a good experience.

The WEN formulas that contain rice protein are particularly drying to my hair. Oddly, so is Chaz's original Sweet Almond Mint.

The first WEN I used was Sweet Almond Mint and I'm thankful I didn't just stop there, since no product line has been better for my hair than WEN.

My best are 613 and one of the Seasonals. Those two are super moisturizing and overall excellent choices for me. We're all old enough to know your worst choice may be my best, and vice versa.

🌿

You wrote:  "There is no product that will repair damage.  It can prevent damage or make the hair look better by nourishing and smoothing the cuticle layer, but the damage is still there."

I agree. And severely damaged hair should be cut off cleanly with a sharp pair of scissors. But turksmom's hair is breaking off before it can be cut. She posted that years ago. She also posted the (not WEN) Monat brand formula she used was drying to her hair.

What kind of a hairdresser would continue to subject hair that is that consistently dried out and brittle to haircoloring? 

I'd dump the hairdresser.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge   Sometimes hairdressers provide services that they do not recommend to their clients.  Often somone will want to change their hair color and the color they want is not compatible with their complextion.

Or, women insist on a perm that is not in the best interest of the client.

Some women want to wear long ugly dragon lady nails painted black.  

Some hairdressers will not provide services that they don't recommend, but some do.

Like  everyone else, sometimes you have to do what the client wants or you won't being home a paycheck.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If your hair quit growing, you have a medical problem and should be consulting a dermatologist, not a hair dresser. 

I agree this is what should be done.