WEN

Contributor

My hair just quit growing about 3 years ago, my hairdresser says WEN is the problem. She explained to me that it's full of extracts, and "what is an extract?"" It means you pull it out of something, like the difference between baking with pure vanilla vs. vanilla extract." Then another hairdresser said, "it keeps the good stuff from getting in." BUT. My hair was doing just fine on WEN, and honestly, I'd like to blame it on the color she's using, it's called Scruples. She used to use Redken and Paul Mitchell and I was fine

with those, too.  Of course I'm older now, but it just seems it quit growing when she started using Scruples. I was also on the wrong formula of MONAT too for a while, and I'm sure that didn't help. I hope I've conveyed this well enough, and I'm hoping someone out there has some answers or suggestions for me. Also....what "flavor" of WEN would you suggest to encourage hair growth? Thanks in advance!!

Respected Contributor

Re: My hair quit growing....

This sure doesn't make sense.

For 3 years your hair hasn't grown but you continue to use WEN and

you still allow your hairdresser to use that color on you??

I would think after 6 months the red flag would of been raised.

I wouldn't continue with any product that possibly would cause any harm, there are dozens of shampoo's and conditioners.  

Honored Contributor

If your hair quit growing, you have a medical problem and should be consulting a dermatologist, not a hair dresser. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@turksmom 

It's so convenient to blame every single hair problem known to mankind on WEN.  It's good to hear you're objective enough to think it is probably something else.

I've used WEN for 8 1/2 years and have been to a handful of hairdressers, all using different brands of color.  My hair responds much better to some than others.

I understand your post is specific to hair growth.  I've notice since I've hit menopause my hair growth has slowed somewhat, but I wear mine short anyway so it's no big deal.  Have you tried Tea Tree?  It encourages hair growth.  I use it for my first cleanse every time I cleanse.  I get my hair cut every 6 weeks and it seems like my hairdresser still has to cut off quite a bit.

I also like to use the Tea tree oil the night before I cleanse. It keeps my hair nice & thick & growing.

Good luck!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@turksmom wrote:

My hair just quit growing about 3 years ago, my hairdresser says WEN is the problem. She explained to me that it's full of extracts, and "what is an extract?"" It means you pull it out of something, like the difference between baking with pure vanilla vs. vanilla extract." Then another hairdresser said, "it keeps the good stuff from getting in." BUT. My hair was doing just fine on WEN, and honestly, I'd like to blame it on the color she's using, it's called Scruples. She used to use Redken and Paul Mitchell and I was fine

with those, too.  Of course I'm older now, but it just seems it quit growing when she started using Scruples. I was also on the wrong formula of MONAT too for a while, and I'm sure that didn't help. I hope I've conveyed this well enough, and I'm hoping someone out there has some answers or suggestions for me. Also....what "flavor" of WEN would you suggest to encourage hair growth? Thanks in advance!!

Do you have grey or dark roots , every month to six weeks ? If you do your hair is probably breaking off. Most people's hair does not quit growing , i am sure there are some medical conditions , such as thyroid that you lose more hair than you should.

Honored Contributor

When you say it's not growing, do you mean all of it, or it is thinning, experiencing loss?  There's a big difference. 

Both could be a medical condition.  Loss on the top of your head could be female pattern baldness.  Loss all over could be hypothyroidism and other conditions.   

Shampoos, hair dyes, etc, can cause breakage.  The hair follicle is not attached to the hair that breaks off. Hair continues to grow. 

You should see a doctor about this.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Normally, hair grows about 1/2 inch a month and usually a bit more in the summertime.

It doesn't matter what happens to the hair after it is above the skin line...even if you shave it, it will continue to grow.

if your hair has totally stopped growing three year ago, you would likely be bald.  Each individual hair strand reaches maturity and falls out from the follicle level in about two to six years.

Every strand is on a different cycle.  It doesn't all fall out or recycle at the same time.

if you truly think your hair isn't growing, you should contact a dermatologist. There would be more going on health wise than hair products causing damage.

I am adding that I would not use WEN if I was having hair problems. there have been thousands of complaints about WEN causing hair loss and there was a class action settlement of 26 million dollars paid out to WEN consumers and their attorneys.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tell your doctor about your hair not growing. Dr may want to check your thyroid function. Other medical issues can impact hair growth also.

Also, tell Dr about using MONAT brand.

You may have to find a new hairdresser who will use the haircolor brands you mention.

Personally, if anyone gave me that vanilla vs vanilla extract comparison ... I'm still shaking my head.

Normally I'd suggest WEN Tea Tree, but in your case I suggest WEN Bella Spirit-original.

No menthol, and better choice for hair with permanent haircolor damage.

Honored Contributor

Some of the extracts like mint and eucalyptus in Wen can irritate skin so I could concievably see how it coukd damage the follicles. I guess you could switch and see if your hair starts growing again. 

Honored Contributor

The hairdresser has a vested interest in saying it's not the product she's using.

If the problem started, when she switched the brand of hair color, it's more likely that's the culprit.

If your hair actually quit growing, that means you've never needed a haircut in three years?  Highly unlikely.