WEN

Frequent Contributor

My hair is fried! I need help from the WEN girls!

i dye my roots light brown every six weeks - JUST the roots with salon (Ion) hair dye. I've done this for years. Last month I decided to add blond highlights. I went to a salon and she bleached it. I will NEVER go there again! My hair (the bleached sections anyway) is fried. I've started using WEN to allow myself longer between stylings. BGT and CLV and a little 613. what else can I do? I can't cut it all out, I'd be scalped. My hair is shoulder length with layers. Any advise on which formula to use or product would be appreciated. The rice based formulas generally work best for me. Thanks in advance for the help. I'M OLD AND THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My hair is fried! I need help from the WEN girls!

[ Edited ]

@GoochiePooDoo , yikes!! I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your hair. 

There are a few hair care professionals on the board who would probably be able to give you better advise, but I'll give it a shot... 

* If you have Wen Remoist then put it on and sleep with it in overnight. -- Doing several ovenight Remoists in a row is probably a good idea. After that, do ovenight treatments at least once a week.

* if you don't have the Remoist, then just dry prime your hair with Cleansing Conditioner and sleep with that in your hair overnight. -- I'd steer clear of the CCs that have the amino acid complex in the for now. This includes 613, BGT, MIF, Wen Men & all the Seasonals. While the amino acid complex does repair damaged hair, it can also sometimes make hair drier and brittle. Not a good experiment right now. -- Stick with the Classics line... FIG is the most moisturizing so that's your best bet. After that, here's the order I would rank them in (best being first): SAM, POM, TT, CA, LAV. 

* I'm suggesting doing a CC overnight hair treatment instead of a Treatment Oil overnight hair treatment, because I get the sense that the Oils tend to coat the hair while the CCs can more easily penetrate your hair shaft. -- Of course, the Remoist is best if you have it.

I'd also recommend that you ask for help from the QVC Beauty forum. -- There's a larger wealth of knowledge there.

Best of luck!!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Don't know where the official WEN girls are but-

.I am so sorry to hear of your mishap.  That kind of damage sure can be demoralizing, everywhere you look there it is.  But I found some advice from MatrixBiolage that may help.  

.keratin and Silk for targeted reinforcement and moisture balance.  You can buy their formula but since you already have 613 why not rely on it, add the mist and mousse if you need them and might I suggest hydrolyzed silk?  You can get pure hydrolyzed silk at Amazon for a very reasonable price ( I think I paid about $15.00) and add it to your leave in 613. 

.worth a try.

in the healing, repairing period remember how many other disasters you've survived .  This Too Shall Pass.

Honored Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Don't know where the official WEN girls are but-

.I am so sorry to hear of your mishap.  That kind of damage sure can be demoralizing, everywhere you look there it is.  But I found some advice from MatrixBiolage that may help.  

.keratin and Silk for targeted reinforcement and moisture balance.  You can buy their formula but since you already have 613 why not rely on it, add the mist and mousse if you need them and might I suggest hydrolyzed silk?  You can get pure hydrolyzed silk at Amazon for a very reasonable price ( I think I paid about $15.00) and add it to your leave in 613. 

.worth a try.

in the healing, repairing period remember how many other disasters you've survived .  This Too Shall Pass.

CoG, I'm not a hair care professional but I worry that any sort of protein (or amino acid) treatment, at this point, could make her hair more brittle and more likely to break. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

A Google search found that yes, keratin and silk are the prescribed first aide agents for chemically damaged hair.  

I forgot to add that I can attest to the repairing ability of Nexxus Keraphix.  There are more intense Keratin Reconstructors like the Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor by Aphogee.  This from one of a group of women who subject themselves to the most horrendous chemical concoctions, involving lye or formalin or sometimes both and would be bald without reconstructors.  WEN does not, to my knowledge, manufacture anything like the keratin reconstructors mentioned above.  

Chin up but don't give up ok?

Respected Contributor

I would recommend the Fig cleansing conditioner. I realize that one isn't rice based but it's what Chaz usually recommends for dry, damaged hair. I got bleached highlights a couple of times myself and it definitely damaged my hair so I'm done with that. My hair loves Fig so that's my go-to cleansing conditioner.

Valued Contributor

So sorry for what you are going through with your hair.  I have very dry naturally curly hair and I have given up shampoo.  To refresh my hair in the mornings, I use the jar of Wella Cholestrol.  I take a bit of it on wet hands and rub them together and then run through my hair.  I don't wash it out and it has made the biggest difference in my hair.  Even doing it daily, I don't get a build-up.  It's cheap and it works for me. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much everyone! It's been a big help. I already own 613 and I love it but can only use it once a week because if I use it too much it does something weird to my hair. Some days when using it my hair is the most beautiful ever. Can't explain it.  Rice works best for me so I'm going to order the TSV in September in POM. I'll use the oils too. I know the "nothing but WEN girls" won't like this but I have Biolage Kerafix and their fiber strong leave in which has non other than.....bamboo water in it. I also have a silk spray in from Sally's that works if I am using heat products to style. I do usually have to wash with something oh her than WEN every once in awhile or I tend to get build up. I may be doing the WEN thing wrong but there it is. This breakage is so bad though that I'm planning to use the oils and  use WEN exclusively to try and take my shampoo days to every three days. My issue is when I get up in he mornings my hair is all over the place. I may use RTM and style it that way. I also have some POM finishing treatment creme maybe I'll incorparate that into my routine somehow. And I'm buying the re-moist for sure. Probably POM or BGT unless someone steers me differently. Thanks for all your help. I'm at a loss as to what to do with this mop of hair right now. You guys are the best. 

Honored Contributor

@melindaot wrote:

Thank you so much everyone! It's been a big help. I already own 613 and I love it but can only use it once a week because if I use it too much it does something weird to my hair. Some days when using it my hair is the most beautiful ever. Can't explain it.  Rice works best for me so I'm going to order the TSV in September in POM. I'll use the oils too. I know the "nothing but WEN girls" won't like this but I have Biolage Kerafix and their fiber strong leave in which has non other than.....bamboo water in it. I also have a silk spray in from Sally's that works if I am using heat products to style. I do usually have to wash with something oh her than WEN every once in awhile or I tend to get build up. I may be doing the WEN thing wrong but there it is. This breakage is so bad though that I'm planning to use the oils and  use WEN exclusively to try and take my shampoo days to every three days. My issue is when I get up in he mornings my hair is all over the place. I may use RTM and style it that way. I also have some POM finishing treatment creme maybe I'll incorparate that into my routine somehow. And I'm buying the re-moist for sure. Probably POM or BGT unless someone steers me differently. Thanks for all your help. I'm at a loss as to what to do with this mop of hair right now. You guys are the best. 

@GoochiePooDoo , I'm glad to hear that you made it through the night. My hair's never been fried, so I can only imagine how upsetting this must have been. 

With regard to the "nothing but Wen" thought... I've never gotten the sense that folks on this board are Wen hard liners when it comes to how each individual chooses their hair care routine. And I know a number of forum regulars who use non-Wen products in conjunction with their Wen products. lol, I really don't see judging going on here, just Wenners who are trying to share their knowledge with others who are interested in using Wen. 

I think the only thing that really bothers us is when someone -- brand new and who has frequently never posted before on the Wen forum -- immediately starts talking about Wen and hair loss. Let's just say it's an odd way to start a chatting in our Wen forum. 

lol, now back to your hair... 

I'm really glad that you will be purchasing the Remoist. Because your hair is fried, I'm still concerned that the amino acid complex may be more than your hair can handle. That said, it sounds as though you're planning on using your Biolage Keraflix which probably has more of a protein punch than would be in the BGT Remoist. So if the Biolage Keraflix doesn't make your hair weaker then I would suggest that you choose the BGT Remoist. 

Some Wenners don't like the POM scent, but most people like the BGT scent. Also the BGT Remoist will have the added benefit of the bamboo water in it which should give your hair more flexible strength (like bamboo does when it bends, instead of breaking, in the wind). 

I think the POM TSV is a great idea and you may still be able to order it right now. If you don't happen to get the Insider, then just google: blue skies for me blog. Check it out, you'll see.

As I mentioned before, I tend to think that the Treatment Oils do their best work on your scalp because I'm not clear how well they penetrate the hair shaft. Jojoba oil is one of the ingredients and I know that it coats the hair shaft, which makes me wonder how well other oils would be able to permeate the hair shaft. Just my thoughts... and I could be wrong about this. *s* 

I would suggest doing overnight scalp treatments with the Treatment Oils. I'm guessing that if your hair got fried, then your scalp probably also needs some TLC. There are a number of Wenners -- I'm thinking about @BethanyB and @Drythe in particular -- who have found the Treatment Oils to be really healing for their skin (and your scalp is skin).

When you are going to cleanse your hair the following morning, on the nights when you don't do a remoist, I would suggest that you dry prime your hair with Cleansing Conditioner. After you cleanse your hair the following morning, make sure to use the Styling Creme to help hold in the moisture.

Best of luck and let us know how everything is working out!!

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@melindaot wrote:

613 is probably too much treatment for your hair which is why you end up getting different results after using it  for a while. That's what happens to my hair. I can only use 613 maybe once a week. If I use it more than that my hair ends up extremely dry.

Honestly, it's up to you what else you choose to put in your hair. It's not really up to others to decide what you should and shouldn't use. If non-Wen products work for you then good for you.

You may want to try the product recommender on Chaz Dean's web site. It might help you determine which formula to get. My ends are still kind of dry from the highlights I got and POM usually isn't enough moisture for me.