WEN

Frequent Contributor

My hair gets better and better as I continue to air dry

I have a natural wave in my hair that hits every two to three inches. About three weeks ago, I decided to air dry it (except my bangs) with a few spritz' of texturizing spray. Turned out nice! I've been letting it air dry on the sides and back every day since and it just gets better and better! 

I have a whole new style......like the pictures I save from Pinterest!  Seriously, my hair really likes the products and freedom from the dryer. My waves are very full and happy.

moral of the story: try different products and methods. Don't get stuck in your hair rut!

Trusted Contributor

Re: My hair gets better and better as I continue to air dry

I've been doing exactly the same for 6-7 years.  Shoulder length layers, bangs (blow dried for a minute), a great haircut and my Fekkai Glossing Creme.  My hair get compliments all the time.  I live in a hot humid climate so I decided not to fight it anymore.  Glad I did, just like you.

Respected Contributor

Hi @LucysMommy , yes, I try different ways and all that.  I found a regimen that really works for me too.  I have wavy hair but I like mine sleek and bouncy and I get that with very little effort by trying different ways.  I just use my cleansing conditioners, I mix them, and some leave in, mousse, styling creme and simply blow dry on warm and cool for a few minutes and my hair is salon quality.  I found that applying like Chaz does on the shows, on the models is what really helped me.  So glad you found a great regimen!  I use a pea size of the Finishing Creme after my blow out.  WOW, does my hair POP!

Respected Contributor

Here are the things that made such a huge difference to the condition of my hair:

1.  I gave up WEN after 8 years and went to silicon free conditioners from the Curly Girl Method.  I tried every combination of WEN and I still had too much damage to my “colored“ hair. I saw an immediate improvement and I am so sorry I did not do this sooner.

2. I use two ingredients now on my hair, that was actually wavy and now looks absolutely great to the point everybody comments on how good my hair looks and asks what I have done!!   I use Shea Moisture conditioner only, and Cantu curl enhancer.  I have had some trial and error in finding the right combo.  

3.  The Curly Girl Method is a regimen that ends with lightly drying with a diffuser. (Or many just air dry). This really does the trick to inhance a little curl.  

This has allowed me to use common inexpensive items that are readily available and make a dramatic difference in my hair!  Google curly girl method and look at the images of the before and after and you will see what I mean.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum 

I've adapted curly girl method for use with WEN.

No combination of WEN cleansing conditioners is rich enough or provides enough moisture for my hair as a leave in conditioner unless I add a squirt of oil (or two) to help seal in the moisture.

Even then, I have to add additional moisture daily, which I do with the WEN RTM, maybe dry oil too.

Late last year I started going outside the WEN product line for a gel. WEN doesn't offer anything that functions as such. Need a gel cast to define & protect curl clumps, and with a gel I achieve this whether diffusing or air drying.

Fyi any silicones found in WEN are both water soluble, and lack the property of being buildable.

In other words it gives me the benefit I need, (my curly hair has a repeating, randomly spaced tortion-twist) washes out with the next cleanse, and isn't capable of building up on itself with successive uses. 

I realize strict curly girl doesn't allow for any silicone, but I like WEN products very much and they give me better hair than I've had with anything else.

Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Here are the things that made such a huge difference to the condition of my hair:

1.  I gave up WEN after 8 years and went to silicon free conditioners from the Curly Girl Method.  I tried every combination of WEN and I still had too much damage to my “colored“ hair. I saw an immediate improvement and I am so sorry I did not do this sooner.

2. I use two ingredients now on my hair, that was actually wavy and now looks absolutely great to the point everybody comments on how good my hair looks and asks what I have done!!   I use Shea Moisture conditioner only, and Cantu curl enhancer.  I have had some trial and error in finding the right combo.  

3.  The Curly Girl Method is a regimen that ends with lightly drying with a diffuser. (Or many just air dry). This really does the trick to inhance a little curl.  

This has allowed me to use common inexpensive items that are readily available and make a dramatic difference in my hair!  Google curly girl method and look at the images of the before and after and you will see what I mean.

@Bhvbum   Do you use any shampoo at all, what brand?  Which Shea Moisture conditioner do you use?

Respected Contributor

Hi Hedge, sounds like you have thick, dry hair.  My husband has this hair type.  It's coarse and not too much sebum.  Mine's a grease pit!  Anyway, I started using the ReMoist over night and my hair is salon quality EVERY day.  I do it once a week.  After the dinner dishes are done on Thursday, I take my choice of cleansing conditioner, my choice of ReMoist and my microfiber towel and my Wen comb.  I cleanse, rinse, repeat and after hair is completely rinsed, I apply a blob, with three fingers, massage in hands, the ReMoist and apply it to mids and ends first and then to whole head and I mean I rake it in over and over.  As I"m raking it gets thicker and thicker.  I then comb over and over, wrap in towel for one minute.  Put my stuff back where it belongs, go to bathroom, comb hair all back, hit it with blow dryer on warm but far back from head just to blow off some moisture.  It begins to harden on hair.  I leave it on all night.  Next morning just rinse, add in leave in, mousse, styling creme.  Blow dry hair and the body and bounce and shine are to die for and it stays like that until I cleanse again.  ReMoist infuses moisture that lasts until I do it again the next week.  I used to do it and leave it in for a few hours but over night makes a BIG difference.  Even though I have oily scalp, we have very hard water which can dry the hair too much so ReMoist is vital.  I don't color so that helps.  My hair is the same quality as the models on the show.  It's like Amy's only a few inches shorter but it's growing FAST.  Just like Amy's only the color is platinum but not by choice.  My hair is wavy, in fact it waves after a few seconds of drenching wet but Wen makes it like glass.  Me too.  NO product gives me the results that Wen does.  I wouldn't look at another product.  I'm VERY satisfied with just Wen.

Respected Contributor

I tried that Fekkai Glossing Creme and it just weighed my hair down.  I tried it a long time ago and it's among the last vestiges of empty promises I tried  that I have to toss. 

I guess it depends on what everyone wants their hair to be like.  That is to say the style, texture and all that.  I say whatever bakes your potata!  Some like their hair to have a lot of root lift, others don't really put emphasis on that, or some like a lot of volume or poof, some don't, sort of like that!

Respected Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Bhvbum   Do you use any shampoo at all, what brand?  Which Shea Moisture conditioner do you use?

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. This is a conditioner not a shampoo. After years and years of trying to get WEN to work and not being able to figure out what the problem was I finally gave up and tried this method and the difference was unbelievable. Even my hairdresser asked me what I was using on my hair!  I was so convinced that getting the sulfates out with WEN woud solve my problem but I could not find a WEN product that did not dry my hair.