WEN

Honored Contributor

My Visit to the Salon - August 2017

[ Edited ]

@rochelleS Thanks for reaching out to me on the other forum. It was so good to hear from you. I will be checking out the other two forums you talked about, as I am curious to know the details of the totally awesome changes you are experiencing.

Thanks for mentioning your love of the SHP NBT, and no I have not tried it. I’m a 613 NBT fan. Hopefully, he will do a special sometime when he offers more than one scent in NBT as a kit/package, like he does with the CC’s. Then I would try it. And if you cut over 15” of your hair, you are indeed a chia pet thanks to WEN!

You mentioned wanting to hear about my salon visit, so I thought I would respond on this forum instead of the other. I warn you, I asked a lot of question while I was there. I have a very curious mind!

I went in mid August after having been rescheduled three times. Although from my very first visit with him 18 months ago when I was told that sometimes appointments need to be changed because of his ever changing schedule, it still is frustrating when you plan far in advance for important events in your life and want to look your best. If I lived closer to his salon, it would be no big deal, just go another day of the week. But since I work and can only see him on Saturdays, and the trip to see him involves a total of eight hours driving time, it is harder for me to go with the flow of his schedule.

And this last time, I was muttering under my breath the whole way going there, as the traffic that day was worse than normal for me…lots of construction along the way, slowing me down. I hate being late to any place I go, but because he is so busy, it is doubly frustrating for me to be sitting in traffic and seeing no way of moving it along! Ha! My muttering on the way there consisted of, “This is the last time I am doing this,” to muttering on the way home, “Oh, yes, I am doing this again. So worth it!” Ha!

I never know if he is going to Periscope the visit, so I don’t tell anyone in advance. However, the minute I start to ask him a question, he stops me and gets someone to Periscope the discussion, because he says it might be helpful to others. So sorry you missed it and here are the questions I asked and his answers:

• Who is you favorite QVC host and why? Do you get to pick the host or is it whoever is on duty that day? He doesn’t get to pick the host for his shows. He said he didn’t want to show favorites, and I reminded him of Lisa, and he said yes, he really liked working with her as a host. When pressed later about a favorite host, he admitted that he and Sandra Bennett are close, and that he does her hair.

• Which of your scents is your favorite? If you could only have one in your shower or on a desert island, which one would it be? He said that was like asking him who of the Angels he prefers; he likes them all. But he finally said that of the classics, Mandarin Italian Fig is his favorite. For summer, it is the peach; for the fall, it is the pear; for the winter it is the red currant; and for the spring, it is the orange blossom.

• If for some reason you were no longer able to be a colorist/hair stylist, what vocation would you like to be in? He didn’t hesitate much before saying chef, fashion designer, or architect. Except for the fashion designer, I was surprised at the chef and architect answer.

• What would you like your tombstone to say? Someone else was helping him think thru that question and then he settled on “I lived, I loved, I changed the world.”

• How long can products stay in the bottle and still be good, as long as it is closed; after it has been opened? Two years unopened; one year once opened was his answer. I recently got the September TSV for Fall Pumpkin and the 32 oz says it was made in July 2015, so I need to crack that one open fast!

• Why did you change the label on the Vanilla Mint from blue to green; I really liked the blue? He wanted the true color of the photo he took….the green of the plant and then the ice.

• Is your quota based on dollar amounts or number of items sold? Better to sell 60,000 of an item is that $50 or 50,000 of an item that is $150? He said QVC only cares about the dollar amounts.

• What would be your idea of a perfect day? Does not have to be about WEN, the business, etc. From morning to night, whether alone or with people. In other words, you wake up tomorrow and there is NOTHING you have to do or are expected to do. What are you going to do, if anything? He answered quickly that he would like to just “chill out with the dogs and not people.” He is around people all the time so that makes sense. He also said that he would like to go on hikes; however, when he is gone, “I always like to get back home. I’m okay being alone.”

• Which country have you traveled to that you like the most, and why? He loves Italy, loves the people, the atmosphere, the history, food, and culture. He noted that it is romantic. He also loves Switzerland, but the last time he was there, many years ago, unpleasant things happened.

• Which countries have you NOT traveled to but want to, and why? He would love to go to Greece, and Africa because of the animals like lions; he would like to go on a safari.

• Your favorite meal consists of what? He loves Italian food and salads. He mentioned a restaurant called Giorgio Baldi he likes to go to.

• What makes you mad/angry, sad, happy? He quickly said dishonest people; people with an agenda and who poke their nose in your business. As to happy, he said “everything else!”

• I asked about Cooper and mentioned that I had not seen her on his shows lately, wondering how the 613 NBT was doing on her chest and neck. He said it is continuing to work really well on her. And when I mentioned wanting to see a before photo of her sun damage prior to using his product, he said he would ask her if she has a before shot he can use.

• I also asked about the gal who stopped using WEN for 25 day this past February, to prove to her coworkers that her hair was dependent upon WEN for its good looks, not genetics, etc., like they were surmising. I wanted to know how long did it take to get back to being good again. He said her hair is still not good, not back to what it was, and that it will take around 18 months for the damage to all grow out. He said she only shampooed every other day during those 25 days (12 times), but it did really bad stuff to her hair. It was stringy, frizzy, and there were fluorescent pieces in her hair. Her hair was definitely thinner on the ends after that experiment. So I mentioned Kat, whose hair he demonstrates on one side during his shows. Would it be just as damaged? He said they do not drench her hair with the other shampoo; it is not the same as doing it in the shower. He said you could tell the difference between the two sides after the demonstration. I told him I hope he gave her hazard pay, and he said she is taken care of for doing that for him. Bet he stocks her up on Re-Moist!

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years? He doesn’t see himself anywhere else, but what he is doing, because he loves it.

• There was talk one time of you coming out with a sunscreen product; still in the works? He said he is working on it, but it takes 18 months of testing, and once it is cleared, he will launch it. It started out as dry oil, which he showed me and also demonstrated. Really nice! It makes the skin very soft. He has this in 613/319, with the arnica and vitamin K in it. He will be launching it in October and talking about the anti-aging benefits. Frankly, I didn’t straighten this all out when I was there, but my thinking is that what he is presenting to us next month is the basis for the same product with sunscreen, which will be at some later time when all the testing is done and he is cleared to do so. Don’t quote me on this, because I got lost in the discussion after he was putting the oil on me and showing how great it was.

• I told him how I got a gallon of the mango coconut this summer because I understood that it would not be available again, and it was one of my favorites. He said mango coconut will be available in gallons online or at his salon, but not at QVC. He mentioned that QVC does not want more than three seasonals at a time.

• I asked if he only got credit for sales when he is actually on TV or was it any sales throughout the day he is there. For instance, he is on at 10am, but you purchase the item later that day when you have the time; does it still count? He said it gives him credit for his quota any time during that same day; it is okay to buy the TSV any time during that 24 hours.

• Do you get irked and irritated with the hosts interrupting you? He said he likes to explain things, but he knows they have a job to do.

• What was coming in September that we don’t know about? He mentioned the TSV on 9/15, the Light styling cream and the Light mousse.

• Do you determine what will be in the packages? He tries to give hints about what QVC should do, but it is up to them.

• How many specials in September? He mentioned the TSV and ODOs too, but said he really didn’t remember all the ODOs, because he was working on December’s offerings.

• What is happening in December? There will be a red currant fragrance. He hopes to have the Tropical fragrance out next summer.

• Why aren't the guys featured more, except for the beginning of his segment? He said the viewers respond (buy) when the women are on, not the men so much. QVC likes to use more women in the chairs when he is there. The guys are for vanity photos at the beginning and end.

• I asked him about his name. Is it short for something? And if he had a son, what would he name him? His son’s name would be Cameron, because that is Chaz’s birth name. The name Chaz was given to him by his first hair stylist boss. When I asked if he responds to the name Cameron, he said no. It doesn’t ring a bell to him if someone would call him that. I asked what his sister, JoAnne, calls him, and he said she calls him Chaz.

• What did he do for his birthday in July? There was a big party at his house with close friends, family, and his salon staff.

• How old is he? He just laughed and said that he is 29 and holding. I asked if his age was on the Internet, because everything seems to be on the Internet. He said as far as he knew, it was not to be found there. Kept trying to trick him into answering, but he was on to me! Ha!

• Is he going to write a book about his life? He said that people tell him to write a book, and he thinks he probably should, but hasn’t done it.

• I mentioned that he used to do Periscope at QVC, behind the scenes. Are you still forbidden to do that? He said he can sometimes do periscope at QVC, but can’t as of now.

• Are you still going to the gym? He is still training, and also does Pilates on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for flexibility and core, and said it elongates you.

• I reminded him that the last time I saw him, he mentioned the next new seasonal would be Fall 2018. I told him I knew it would not be anything pumpkin because he already had two with that as a name for the scent. He talked about the Fall Apple Spice and how people either loved it or hated it. It was quite strong and rich. So he is trying to stay with apple, but lighter and with a crisper scent.

• What is the best selling scent? The seasonals are always good in sales. The summer scents are great too, but he couldn’t say which one does the best. I imagine he lets others on his staff deal with the numbers and he keeps doing the creative stuff.

• When I asked about new things in October, beside the dry oil I think he said Peony would be in the gallons, but my mind is a little fuzzy on that, so don’t hold me to it.

• How far in advance do they tell him about the TSV, so he has time to prepare. He said QVC was just now (August) telling him about December. I mentioned that I thought they knew a year in advance, because I had heard fashion vendors on QVC say that they had been working on something as a TSV for a year. He said no, and that he wished he had that long of a time.

• I asked how he felt about the merger with HSN. He said he didn’t know how it will be, but hopes everything (at QVC, I think) remains the same. We discussed how the QVC sets look better than the HSN studio sets.

• You really have to rush while on TV because of the time limits. He tries to get everything in as though it is the first time someone is watching him.

• What about the Beauty Awards? He asked if I voted and I said yes. He is happy to have several items up for awards.

• Are you still using volumizing spray (which was used as a holding spray) now that the Light hairspray is available? Yes, sometimes.

• What is the best way to use the glossing serum? He said to use glossing serum on wet hair; use the new dry oil (coming in October) on dry hair.

He seems to enjoy me asking questions, and I have already started my list for the next visit!

Here are some photos of the redesigned reception area. 

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

Notice the paddle brushes on the lower shelves.

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

One of the four bungalows on his property, used by some of his stylists. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler...that is a well written summary of your visit! Thanks for asking the questions that we are always curious about! By the way, I have a feeling he is ~50years old due to his love for 80’s music!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@World Traveler...that is a well written summary of your visit! Thanks for asking the questions that we are always curious about! By the way, I have a feeling he is ~50years old due to his love for 80’s music!

Funny! I love 80’s (and 90’s) music too and am early 40’s so I guessed Chaz to be about my age. I figured his age based on other observations too, I should add. If he’s 50, he looks great!!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

What an excellent series of questions!  Great photos too!

My favorite question was his favorite CC's. MIF, SHP, WRC, FTP, and SOB.  Weird, believe it or not these are mine too! Maybe it because we are both Leo's and share the exact same birthday?  Hmmmmm........

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler Wow!  What an amazing job of posting and interviewing!  It was wonderful to read and I don't even use Wen.

I have bought it and tried it so many times over the years and it just doesn't work for me.  I've given it to friends.

Anyway, I'm a fan of his but because I watch the TV show "Flipping Out" and he is on almost every episode in one way or another!

I wasn't surprised at all with his answer about being an architecht!  On Flipping Out he is very, very hands on with the designer (Jeff).  Some of Chaz's ideas are a bit 'out there' but Jeff tries to deliver as much as he can.  

Chaz had to give up the idea of the penny's forming a fountain (it would have been thousands of penny's and he only wanted specific years.  

If you are a fan of his (obviously you are) you should (if you haven't) checked out Flipping Out!  It shows another (business) side of him.  It's fun to see him like that.  He's always kind and respectful of others but is very, very business-like.

It shows another side but yet his kindness always shows through.  He proves a person can be both kind and get what they want at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to post. 

I almost forgot recently he was on with Jeff (the star of Flipping Out) and they were at the studio that had burned talking about what to do and it looked like he had the color he was dying his hair sitting on it (in the process).  I could have been wrong but it looked like the color of the gray he was wearing his hair recently on QVC.

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler, well done! I watched a bit of your Periscoped visit live, its nice to put a face to a name. 

#IAmTeamWen
Respected Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@World Traveler

What an excellent series of questions!  Great photos too!

My favorite question was his favorite CC's. MIF, SHP, WRC, FTP, and SOB.  Weird, believe it or not these are mine too! Maybe it because we are both Leo's and share the exact same birthday?  Hmmmmm........

Ok, so I am a Leo also and not one those are favorites of mine. 😂

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler   I hope you are doing well . certainly miss hearing from you around here.  wow,  you asked some really great questions and thanks so much for taking the time to give us the summary.  I especially liked your question about the WVM label, I was so upset about that.  I'm keeping all my old bottles.   Lol. also, about using the serum on wet hair I've been using it since it came out on dry hair.  I didn't realize about the reschedules geez I'll probably never get there now because I'm on the other Coast.  Don't be a stranger and stay well

Respected Contributor

Great job @World Traveler.... Yes come back the Wen board more often!

Ok I loved your description of your drive to get there!  You must love going because I don't think I could do that drive, (unless someone else was driving me..) haha

Enjoy your new Wen hair also..Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler

Thank you for the detailed report! I did watch the Periscope of you at the salon. Your hair looks great! Cat Happy

That is quite the drive to get to his salon. That must be pretty exhausting. I understand how frustrating it is when you can only go on certain days. I used to always tell my stylist that Saturday worked best but apparently others book two or three appointments out so by the time I try to make one she's all booked up. I usually work at home on Fridays so I've started to just step away from work during the day to get my haircut since it's easier than dealing with trying to find a Saturday appointment this century. Of course, that wouldn't really be doable for you since you'd have to take the whole day off because of all of the driving.