WEN

Frequent Contributor

Mousse and Curly Hair Question

OK, I am starting to really like the FVWP scent and ordered the styling kit with the mousse.  I have never used mousse.  Does anyone use it in dry hair to touch up or only in wet hair?  

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mousse and Curly Hair Question

[ Edited ]

@Doherty wrote:

OK, I am starting to really like the FVWP scent and ordered the styling kit with the mousse.  I have never used mousse.  Does anyone use it in dry hair to touch up or only in wet hair?  

@Doherty, I use to style initally as the last step after cleansing. I do use it to restyle (or freshen style) on dry hair after misting with RTM. Chaz has shown how it can be just scrunched into dry curls as well.

Personally, I found using it on wet hair and restyling with it gives me better performance than just using it on dry hair for the first time. I am sure the other curly girls will chime in soon.

#IAmTeamWen
Super Contributor

I have used it on dry hair for a bit of a touch up and it is about the only way I use it. I have thick curly hair and while I have tried and like just about every other iproduct type of Chaz's, I just can't ge the curl I need out of the mousse - no matter how many pumps. I almost gave up on Wen because it made my hair look not so good and I was starting to blame it on the CC and other products. Well recently I decided to stop using the mousse all together and added a Pureology mousse along with Wen styling creme and CC and can you say WOW??!! I love it! I am so glad I didn't drop the other Wen prodcuts.

I guess the lesson here is, even thought we love our Wen, sometimes some of the products don't work for all. I hope you find the mousse to your liking. It may take some practice but many people here love it, so give it a chance.

Frequent Contributor

Nikki and Scullychick, thanks to both of you for your replies.  I was tempted to try it on dry hair yesterday but the instructions only referred to wet hair.  I have good results with the styling cream on dry hair but didn't want to risk trying it on dry hair and messing up my hair.  

I feel better now about trying it on both wet and dry hair.

Thanks again!!

Regular Contributor

@Doherty I have wavy/curly hair that I air dry. I use the mousse every day as my curl defined/hold product. I do not find that it does much of anything for my hair when I use it on very wet hair. I plop my hair until it is only damp and then put in the mousse mixed in with some oil. I use probably about 15-20 pumps for my shoulder length hair with probably close to a dropper full of oil in total(my hair is very porous). I then put my hair up in clips and sleep in it. I get good definition and shine and zero frizz. 

On day two or if I want more volume, I spritz a little RTM in my hair and add maybe 8 pumps of mousse in to my dry hair and clip it for a few minutes. I will add oil in if my hair is looking a little dull/dry.

i would definitely recommend trying the mousse although you may have to play around with it a bit to find out how it works best for you. In my experience it does not build up or flake or make your hair feel coated or dirty and it really does define curls

Frequent Contributor

@kesstrain wrote:

@Doherty I have wavy/curly hair that I air dry. I use the mousse every day as my curl defined/hold product. I do not find that it does much of anything for my hair when I use it on very wet hair. I plop my hair until it is only damp and then put in the mousse mixed in with some oil. I use probably about 15-20 pumps for my shoulder length hair with probably close to a dropper full of oil in total(my hair is very porous). I then put my hair up in clips and sleep in it. I get good definition and shine and zero frizz. 

On day two or if I want more volume, I spritz a little RTM in my hair and add maybe 8 pumps of mousse in to my dry hair and clip it for a few minutes. I will add oil in if my hair is looking a little dull/dry.

i would definitely recommend trying the mousse although you may have to play around with it a bit to find out how it works best for you. In my experience it does not build up or flake or make your hair feel coated or dirty and it really does define curls

Kesstrain,

I may have to try this also.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@Doherty - I use it on both wet and dry hair, just like @nikki48.  I love the mousse!  Really defines my curls.  For 2nd day hair, I spritz with RTM and scrunch 5 or 6 pumps of mousse into my curls and let it air dry.  My hair is about shoulder length.  I use about 12-14 pumps on my wet hair after cleansing.  Hope that helps!

Respected Contributor

I find that the mousse works better for me when my hair is freshly cleansed but I tried it to freshen next day hair.  It kept the style but my scalp is extremely oily and the oilyness, is that a word?  Anyway, the oilyness was coming through so I like the mousse better after cleansing.  My hair has waves in it.  I love the model, oh boy, I'm bad with names but she's a cute little thing and has those tight curls.  If I could get my hair to curl like that!  Her hair is so bouncy and shiny!!!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks ladies for more suggestions! I tried just a little on wet hair a couple of nights ago but since I had to go to work, I didn't want to experiment too much.  It feels so moisturizing, definitely not what I expected.  I am really glad that I bought that kit now.  

Honored Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

@Doherty wrote:

@Doherty, I use to style initally as the last step after cleansing. I do use it to restyle (or freshen style) on dry hair after misting with RTM. Chaz has shown how it can be just scrunched into dry curls as well.

Personally, I found using it on wet hair and restyling with it gives me better performance than just using it on dry hair for the first time. I am sure the other curly girls will chime in soon.

The mousse doesn't give me enough protection against humidity (it gets very humid here), so I don't use it. But I agree with @nikki48, all my products work better on wet hair and to restyle, they work better if I mist my hair so it's damp, first. I don't use anything but a finishing spray or glosser on dry hair. I use the WEN Volumizing spray as my finisher. When I did use the WEN mousse, I did the same thing - add it to damp hair, not completely dry.