WEN

Respected Contributor

i am sure that made your day, yangya!  Is your regular hairdresser going to be shocked by the change?

I've been doing the opposite.  I've had short hair for years and now I am growing it out.  It is much easier to deal with now that I use WEN.  I have to tell my hairdresser to only dust the ends because she likes to cut it.  :-)

Honored Contributor

Welcome, well, almost... to the short-hair club!  Don't be afraid to go all the way when your regular stylist is back at work.  You won't regret it!  I've come to the decision that short is is simply more flattering on me than longer hair.  Every time I go to grow it, it gets to about my shoulders and I look in the mirror and say to myself, "off with the hair"! I'm sticking with my short curls.

I congratulate you on schooling the hair salon ladies on WEN.  I dumped two hairdressers because they were too close-minded to even talk about it, and the hairdresser I have now is the best I've had in my life, seriously the best, with color and cut.  He just has the touch, but that's where it stops.  The styling needs to be lef to me.

Quite honestly I don't bring up WEN with him because of my two prior hairedresser experiences.  He admits I style my hair better than he does, and I just smile & say thanks. I know he's curious how I come in with these beautiful bouncy curls and go out with wavy-want to be frizzy hair that needs a remoist the moment I get home.

If he only knew he should:

1)  Use WEN instead of his highly expensive sulfrate free flown in from Germany POO that he thinks is the best on the planet!

2) Quit drying my hair with that ****** towel and roughing it up and making it all frizzy.

Oh, well, it will remain my secret.  As long as I can leave with spectaculary freshly red hair, with the most perfect cut I've ever had, I can tend to the rest when I get home.

On another note...yesterday I was in the elevator leaving the office and one of the ladies looked at me and said, your hair is so perfectly curly you look like you're wearing a wig.  I just smiled and said thanks!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Welcome, well, almost... to the short-hair club!  Don't be afraid to go all the way when your regular stylist is back at work.  You won't regret it!  I've come to the decision that short is is simply more flattering on me than longer hair.  Every time I go to grow it, it gets to about my shoulders and I look in the mirror and say to myself, "off with the hair"! I'm sticking with my short curls.

I congratulate you on schooling the hair salon ladies on WEN.  I dumped two hairdressers because they were too close-minded to even talk about it, and the hairdresser I have now is the best I've had in my life, seriously the best, with color and cut.  He just has the touch, but that's where it stops.  The styling needs to be lef to me.

Quite honestly I don't bring up WEN with him because of my two prior hairedresser experiences.  He admits I style my hair better than he does, and I just smile & say thanks. I know he's curious how I come in with these beautiful bouncy curls and go out with wavy-want to be frizzy hair that needs a remoist the moment I get home.

1)  Use WEN instead of his highly expensive sulfrate free flown in from Germany POO that he thinks is the best on the planet!

2) Quit drying my hair with that ****** towel and roughing it up and making it all frizzy.

Oh, well, it will remain my secret.  As long as I can leave with spectaculary freshly red hair, with the most perfect cut I've ever had, I can tend to the rest when I get home.

On another note...yesterday I was in the elevator leaving the office and one of the ladies looked at me and said, your hair is so perfectly curly you look like you're wearing a wig.  I just smiled and said thanks!

@SurferWife  My last hairdresser asked me at my very first appointment with her what hair products I was using. I made the mistake of telling her that I use Wen at which point she went on and on about how it causes buildup. I told her it didn't but of course she didn't care. She insisted on washing my hair with shampoo (to get rid of the buildup that I didn't have...). I went along with it as I figured it wouldn't kill me but the products she used were horrible. They smelled so bad and I couldn't get the stink out of my hair for days. On top of that it made my hair super dry and tangled. I ended up just going in for bang trims and eventually found my current hairdresser who thankfully has no problem with Wen at all. 

Honored Contributor

@HSB1204 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@SurferWife  My last hairdresser asked me at my very first appointment with her what hair products I was using. I made the mistake of telling her that I use Wen at which point she went on and on about how it causes buildup. I told her it didn't but of course she didn't care. She insisted on washing my hair with shampoo (to get rid of the buildup that I didn't have...). I went along with it as I figured it wouldn't kill me but the products she used were horrible. They smelled so bad and I couldn't get the stink out of my hair for days. On top of that it made my hair super dry and tangled. I ended up just going in for bang trims and eventually found my current hairdresser who thankfully has no problem with Wen at all. 

@HSB1204

You are way polite, I would have walked out.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@HSB1204...I think sometimes hairdressers forget one thing...THIS IS MY HAIR! My current hairdresser has never asked me what I use, but if he ever does I'll tell him WEN.  If he starts any ******-talk with me, I will not hesitate to find someone new. I've been going to hm for a few years now, and he has never pushed his products on me, so at this point I doubt he will try.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@HSB1204

You are way polite, I would have walked out.

@Drythe  Yeah, I was pretty much done letting her trim my ends at that point. I just let her trim my bangs until I found another hairdresser.

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@HSB1204...I think sometimes hairdressers forget one thing...THIS IS MY HAIR! My current hairdresser has never asked me what I use, but if he ever does I'll tell him WEN.  If he starts any ******-talk with me, I will not hesitate to find someone new. I've been going to hm for a few years now, and he has never pushed his products on me, so at this point I doubt he will try.

@SurferWife  Yes, and a lot of them just want to sell you the products that they use at their salon. My old hairdresser also tried to convince me to get highlights again. I had decided to take a break because another hairdresser had pretty much bleached my hair to death. I told her that I had them done without bleach the last time and she insisted that bleach wasn't really that bad. At that point I knew that I would never let her highlight my hair! I don't know how she expected to keep customers when she said stuff like that.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

Hi @77yangya.

Oh brother!  I should start a thread titled

"Haircut Horror Stories/why I learned to cut my own hair"

@x Hedge  Yes, I can definitely understand why people decide to cut their own hair! I can't count how many salons I've gone to and even if you tell them to just cut off a tiny amount they cut off several inches. Ugh! I've finally found a hairdresser who actually listens to me and will follow my instructions.

@HSB1204  yes, there's that. I'd say "to the collarbone", and when they're done cutting, the ends are hovering above shoulder level.

I waited for weeks for an appointment with one highly recommended woman. While she was cutting the back of my hair, she was really watching the reflection of the man stocking the vending machine.

She was cutting crazy back there and cut into her own finger.

After paying her to bleed in my hair I had to go somewhere else and pay for a corrective haircut.

One guy cut me a 'do my grandmother would've been proud to wear. The only thing missing was the blue rinse. 

The corrective cut for that one had to be so short my hair didn't move in a stiff wind.

After another bad cut I tried going to a barber shop for the corrective cut. He had totally different training, actually did a very good job and seemed to understand how to work with the coarse, unruly natural texture of my hair better than any stylists had.

But after years of paying for many bad cuts followed by corrective cuts, crying over butchered cuts, and just plain avoiding cuts, I started reading about How-to cut.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably about 30 years since I paid someone to hack at my hair and make me cry.

@x Hedge, you win!! OMG I laughed all the way through your post although I'm sorry because I am sure it was emotional at the time. Im glad you learned how to do it yourself.

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

Re: Just Came From A Salon

[ Edited ]

I havent been to a salon in years. I used to go to get my hair blown out and flat ironed but the last time the girl overbooked. I was mad because I not only paid for three people but tipped her very well everytime we were there.  She worked on me and my two girls and had us in and out in good time.

I called to make sure she had time for all three of us, she said yes and I walked in to a packed salon. Since there were other stylists I was hoping these people werent there for her. I looked around and she was in the midst of braiding someone's hair... now I am getting heated. She came over and told me she could get us next and didnt have much left to do with the person she was working on. She sent my girls off to be washed and after they were done a girl came for me. My stylist is still braiding.

My girls are now under the dryer and my stylist is still braiding. I'm now under the dryer (getting hotter and hotter) she is still braiding. She comes over feels my head and says I'm not dry yet, SHE WANTED ME FULLY DRY. Curly girls know the issue here.... YOU DONT COMB OUT DRY CURLY HAIR! My girls had relaxer so they were just getting a flat iron and style, I let them go to other stylists when she asks... why? BECAUSE SHE IS STILL BRAIDING!!

I am COMPLETELY dry and HOT! She shuts off my dryer and I am left sitting and waiting. By the time she finishes braiding, my girls are well into their flat iron. She sits me in her chair and pulls out a hand blowdryer... now what the hell does she think she is doing with that and my dry curly hair? Yep... proceeds to try to comb and blowdry my hair. I sat there until my girls were done and told her I had to go. I paid for them, my wash and left no tip. I got in the car and twisted my hair into a bun, went home and cleansed with Wen.  

I'm sure she eventually got the point because I never returned. My girls still liked going so I would drop them off with the exact amount for their hair. 

#IAmTeamWen
Respected Contributor

@nikki48  That would really make me mad as well! I really hate when hairdressers can't manage their time. I've gone through quite a few lately before I finally found my current one who is great.

There was one I went to who was at least 15 minutes late the first time I went to see her. I let it slide because I liked the cut and she seemed to know what she was doing. The next time the salon called to tell me that she would be 30 minutes late. When I showed up I still had to wait another 15 minutes! I had finally had enough when I went there for the third time and once again ended up waiting for 20 minutes. When she was finally done with the other client she went and grabbed another girl. I was furious at this point and almost about to leave the salon when she then returned with the girl. Despite the fact that this was my third time there she apparently didn't remember what I looked like and therefore just assumed that this random girl was me! I realize that hairdressers have a lot of clients but that was just ridiculous. I never went back after that.

It sounds like you're better off not going back to that salon if she doesn't even know how to handle curly hair. I have wavy hair so I know not to comb my hair when it's dry unless I want giant, poofy hair!