WEN

Valued Contributor

Is tea tree best for oily locks??

I have good hair but have not tried TT yeat.  Is it best for my oily hair?  Thanks Ladies....also my itchy scalp has gone away with WEN!

Honored Contributor

Re: Is tea tree best for oily locks??

It's good, but Cucumber Aloe may be better. I recommend visiting the Chaz Dean website and using the Product Recommender there, then coming back to QVC and getting a better price for whatever you choose.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

It's good, but Cucumber Aloe may be better. I recommend visiting the Chaz Dean website and using the Product Recommender there, then coming back to QVC and getting a better price for whatever you choose.

The LOVEWEN20 code is still good so if you can get free shipping & no tax it might be a few bucks cheaper the go with Chaz

Trusted Contributor

I agree with ChynnaBlue, CA is considered to be the most clarifying of the core formulas. I have an oily scalp and I started with CA, then slowly added in the others. For me, TT is the second most astringent formula and it keeps my scalp happy. 95% of the time, I use either TT or CA on my scalp, they're two of my favorite formulas. My hair is pretty long (well, it was.......just had several inches cut off) and CA isn't moisturizing enough for continued use on the ends of my hair. But, I can use TT only for weeks at a time and have perfect results.
Trusted Contributor

@Teacups wrote:

I have good hair but have not tried TT yeat.  Is it best for my oily hair?  Thanks Ladies....also my itchy scalp has gone away with WEN!

Hard to say. I have oily hair and scalp that is prone to itching and flaking. TT works wonders on my scalp. A couple of years ago I used CA exclusively for a few months, but I stopped because I noticed my hair fallout had increased. However, looking back on it, that probably wasn't due to the CA. That was before I started my natural thyroid treatment, so it was probably my thyroid being out of whack. The CA was not as good for my scalp as TT though.

Currently I'm using TT for my first cleanse nearly every time. I use one of the seasonals as my second cleanse and leave-in. Plus either a seasonal or 613 SC and mousse, then blow dry. I've been getting great volume and hold and I don't have to wash my hair every day anymore. In the winter I could go three days between cleanses. In summer it's down to two, because my head sweats a lot when I get hot. Still, not having to wash my hair every single day, in Houston in the summer time? Pretty darn good.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all of you!

Honored Contributor

@DoxieMomma wrote:
I agree with ChynnaBlue, CA is considered to be the most clarifying of the core formulas. I have an oily scalp and I started with CA, then slowly added in the others. For me, TT is the second most astringent formula and it keeps my scalp happy. 95% of the time, I use either TT or CA on my scalp, they're two of my favorite formulas. My hair is pretty long (well, it was.......just had several inches cut off) and CA isn't moisturizing enough for continued use on the ends of my hair. But, I can use TT only for weeks at a time and have perfect results.

I'm the opposite! I can't use Cucumber Aloe at all without it leaving my hair dry. Tea Tree is a great one and I love to use that on my scalp and Fig (the most moisturizing) on the length of my hair.

Trusted Contributor

ChynnaBlue, Fig is one of the very few formulas that I haven't tried. I almost ordered some this winter because my hair had gotten very long (for me, anyway) and I was spending time in a colder, drier climate. My ends were getting very dry, but I was able to use more SAM and oil and keep it happy. (Normally, I can use any combo of TT, CA, SAM or LAV, or any of those by themselves.)

Maybe I'll have a chance to try Fig one day, especially if I let my hair grow again. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my Fig/Sweet Orange oil!
Honored Contributor

-- 

Before I started using Wen, my scalp would turn an oil slick inside of 18 hours. I had to shampoo my hair in th morning, in order to make it through the day. 

In December 2010, which was when I started using Wen, I purchases the annual December TSV which is generally (5) 16oz bottles of CC. Back then, they were all the Core CCs and included SAM, TT, FIG, LAV and POM. The TT CC seemed to work best for my hair. And when I started using it regularly, over a period of a few months I noticed that it longer and longer for my scalp to get greasy. 

After around 4 months, I could go 2 days without needing to cleanse my hair again... sometimes even 3 days. 

Probably 2 years later, Chaz started talking about the Tratment Oils on a more regular basis. He also recommended having overnight scalp treatments with the oils 1-2 times per week. -- To save some money, I decided to make my own oil blend using 95% jojoba oil (which is a carrier oil) and 5% tea tree oil. Essential oils, such as tea tree, always have to be diluted with a carrier oil; otherwise they can burn/irritate your skin. -- The general rule of thumb is 20 parts carrier oil to 1 part essential oils. -- And if you make your own oil blend, you always need to first test it on a less sensitive part of your skin to make sure it doesn't irritate your skin.

At Trader Joe's, I can purchase 4oz jojoba oil for $8 and 1oz Australian tea tree oil for $7. At the Vitamin Shoppe I can purchase a 2oz glass bottle with eye dropper for $4 (it's from the Bach Floral Remedies line -- they are best known for their Rescue Remedy).

After doing two weekly overnight jojoba/tea tree oil scalp treatments for a few months, I found that I could now go for 3-4 days between cleansings. 

I've found that while using the TT CC is good, that the overnight oil treatments give me the best results for balancing my scalp's oil production. I used to use TT CC as my first cleanse, but now I just do the overnight oil treatments. -- I only add the TT CC back in if I get lazy about the overnight oil treatments. 

Both tea tree oil and jojoba oils have great emulsifying properties. this means that they are able to loosen the old dried sebum that may be on your scalp, so that when you cleanse your scalp the following morning this dried/caked sebum gets washed down the drain. -- The result is that your hair folicles are able to breathe more easily.

Additionally, tea tree oil is both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial so it helps keep your scalp and hair folicles healthy. -- Happy hair folicles also grow more quickly. 

Before I started using Tea Tree on a regular basis, I could go 3-4 month without noticing any hair growth at all... and I'm not exagerating about this. -- These days my hair grows about an inch a month in the winter. In the summer it grows 1.25-1.5 inches a month.

For more information about the Wen TT CC and Treatment oil, you can click on this hot link to the Wen 101 thread. In message #13, in the Core Cleansing Conditioner section for Tea Tree, you can read through a number of threads on the TT CC. -- In message #19, in the Treatment OIl section for Tea Tree, you can read through threads that talk discuss how the TT Treatment oil has benefited hair health. 

Best of luck!! 

-- bebeSmiley Happy