WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: Is WEN more color protectant?

@sueinsf wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

Red is tough...period.  My hairdresser uses Aveda,
which really takes well to my hair.  I can honestly say, WEN does help me retain the vibrancy & richness longer than when I used shampoo.  I do get my color done every 6 weeks & by the 6th week it does lighten up a bit, but it still looks red.

I agree, red is tough - period.  I think WEN helps my color hold better than shampoo but it still fades and I don't think anything will prevent that.  The good thing in being home more is that I cleanse less often and that helps my color hold a bit longer.  

@sueinsf 

Exactly!  Red fades...WEN lengthens the life of my red, far better than even the shampoos designed for red hair.  It still fades, but not nearly to the extent if faded pre-WEN.  The Indigo really helps keep it vibrant & I use that ~once or twice a week.  I like to mix it with my seasonal for my second cleanse.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@sueinsf wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

Red is tough...period.  My hairdresser uses Aveda,
which really takes well to my hair.  I can honestly say, WEN does help me retain the vibrancy & richness longer than when I used shampoo.  I do get my color done every 6 weeks & by the 6th week it does lighten up a bit, but it still looks red.

I agree, red is tough - period.  I think WEN helps my color hold better than shampoo but it still fades and I don't think anything will prevent that.  The good thing in being home more is that I cleanse less often and that helps my color hold a bit longer.  

@sueinsf 

Exactly!  Red fades...WEN lengthens the life of my red, far better than even the shampoos designed for red hair.  It still fades, but not nearly to the extent if faded pre-WEN.  The Indigo really helps keep it vibrant & I use that ~once or twice a week.  I like to mix it with my seasonal for my second cleanse.

@SurferWife Maybe I need to use the Indigo more.  I have an open sample pack and I use a little bit occasionally but perhaps I need to use it more generously and more often. Plus I was using it in the first cleanse.  

Honored Contributor

@sueinsf 

Indigo should definitely be used for the 2nd cleanse since it should stay on longer (the duration of your shower).  I hope you have great results...I know I do!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions @SurferWife!

Trusted Contributor

Hi @SurferWife !  Newbie here again.  For pixie hair or just a tad longer, is a second cleanse necessary.  One seems to do great for me but may go flat if the top gets longer.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I'll start with the basics.

Chaz, a hair colorist, created WEN for customers with color treated hair, to clean hair without stripping color.

Color retention is best following directions with WEN and rinsing with the coolest water you're comfortable with. 

✨

Do the 2nd cleanse, or you'll end up griping that WEN doesn't work for you. It's a very mild cleanser, and unlike the typical shampoo, it needs TIME in contact with your hair, with abundant water, to really clean, plus condition, detangle, etc.

The first cleanse coaxes old styling products, oil, and dirt to be lifted from the surface of your hair, and be flushed away in the first rinse. The second cleanse finishes that job, plus conditions. During this cleanse all the "Wenny goodness" that gives moisture, sheen, managability, volume, bounce, etc goes into your hair.

That takes time.

Slow down and enjoy it.🛀

People who skimp on the WEN, skimp on the water, and routinely skip the second cleanse are the people who are dissatisfied with WENs performance.

Hopefully @SurferWife  can tell you about her gorgeous red curls.

Hedge, that was a great post, seriously.  I found that when I use my leave in I take one whole pump from a 32.  I rub hands together then apply to mid shaft and ends but stay there raking over and over and I can feel, like you said, take your time, I can feel it penetrating in.  I then take a pump of styling creme and so the same thing.  I then take a great big handful of mousse and put that on crown first but I squeeze it into hair like you see Chaz do on models then I apply through rest of hair.  I used to apply all three to crown area but since the first two mentioned are already on my hands, I only do crown one time, if that makes sense, like when I do the mousse, the other two things are already there so I don't want to apply three times.  You're much better at explaining!   XO  Hope you're feeling well!

Respected Contributor

@MJDinVegas   I *knew* there was another post I wanted to answer when I was locked out, it was this one from you!  So...

If you are not using any products in your hair, like mousse, styling creme, curl creme, or anything like that, and keeping your haircuts every 4-6 weeks, then odds are all you need is that first cleanse to get your hair clean.  It's so short, and being cut so often, you probably don't really need the conditioning step.  If you are using any sort of leave-in products, though, you probably want that double cleanse.  All you can do is try just one, see what the results are, and then go back to two if you like those results better than just one cleanse. 

My hair is shoulder-length, very fine, and permed for curl, body and volume, and I use leave-in CC and SC after every cleanse, so I really, really need that conditioning step!  Hope this helps!

Super Contributor

I no longer color my hair and have gone natural but have to say this.  WEN definitely protected my color and kept if from fading when I was coloring.  It also protected my hair and kept it strong.  My hairdresser would often comment on this, how strong my hair was.  I feel that adding that little bit of CC as a leave in makes all the difference in the world.