WEN

Respected Contributor

Is WEN more color protectant?

I am currently using the Fig one.  The scent is heavenly and feels like a spa.

I have 2 questions.  First is about the 2nd wash.  Isn't more washing and rinsing bad for color retention?  My hair is not "dirty" enough to NEED a second wash, but that is in the instructions.  What does it do that one does not?

My hair is colored brunette with a lot of red.  It was my natural color, and reds supposedly retain color the worst.  I am thinking of asking to add a little more red to see how it looks.

I use Pureology otherwise.  Does WEN really help retain color from fading better.  I am trying to wash less to prevent color loss.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is WEN more color protectant?

I'll start with the basics.

Chaz, a hair colorist, created WEN for customers with color treated hair, to clean hair without stripping color.

Color retention is best following directions with WEN and rinsing with the coolest water you're comfortable with. 

✨

Do the 2nd cleanse, or you'll end up griping that WEN doesn't work for you. It's a very mild cleanser, and unlike the typical shampoo, it needs TIME in contact with your hair, with abundant water, to really clean, plus condition, detangle, etc.

The first cleanse coaxes old styling products, oil, and dirt to be lifted from the surface of your hair, and be flushed away in the first rinse. The second cleanse finishes that job, plus conditions. During this cleanse all the "Wenny goodness" that gives moisture, sheen, managability, volume, bounce, etc goes into your hair.

That takes time.

Slow down and enjoy it.🛀

People who skimp on the WEN, skimp on the water, and routinely skip the second cleanse are the people who are dissatisfied with WENs performance.

Hopefully @SurferWife  can tell you about her gorgeous red curls.

Honored Contributor

Great advice @x Hedge!

@hyacinth003 

I concur with what Hedge says.  It's really important to do a double cleanse.  The first cleanse is like the "shampoo" step & the second cleanse is the conditioning step.  In the beginning I was a "one-cleanse" girl, but then when I finally gave in & did the "double-cleanse" I never looked back!  My curls responded so much better...more volume, more definition, less frizz, etc.

Red is tough...period.  My hairdresser uses Aveda, which really takes well to my hair.  I can honestly say, WEN does help me retain the vibrancy & richness longer than when I used shampoo.  I do get my color done every 6 weeks & by the 6th week it does lighten up a bit, but it still looks red.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 - I will "third" the great advice you got from @x Hedge and @SurferWife!

I started using WEN strictly to help with color. My hair is dark blonde, and with regular shampoo it was getting brassy by the 2nd week. I get color every 11-12 weeks.

Like @SurferWife I started with one cleanse. When I started I was swimming every day, so I was cleansing every day! I started using two cleanses, and just giving my hair a good rinse followed by Replenishing Treatment Mist after swimming. Now I cleanse twice a week.  

I think you'll be very happy once you start that second cleanse!   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I had the exact opposite thing happen to me with Wen.  My professional hair color wouldn't take when I was using Wen.  I thought it was the hairdresser, so I changed salons only for it to happen again.  I found a new hairdresser and she prewashed my hair before coloring abd that worked.  My grays were covered.  I have strawberry blonde hair and it's never looked better and thicker since using a different shampoo that lathers.  I also don't lose strands of hair every time I shampoo.  I don't notice my hair color fading quicker now that I'm back on regular shampoo. 

Respected Contributor

One issue I am having with the second application.  When I do the first, it is my first step in the shower.  I do the WEN first, then do anything else I am going to do.  So I have a pretty good length of time it is on my hair.

But for the second, I am finished and have trouble keeping it applied very long.  Since the Fig (and probably all) are rich and have strong scent, I don't really want it hitting the body after I just did everything else! 

And the price of water we pay around here is expensive, so I don't want to waste much just standing and waiting.

How do you divide your time for 2 applications?

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Okay, @hyacinth003 I see your mistake.  You put the CC for your first cleanse into your hair, work it in, add a good splash of water to get it all nice and lathered up, work it all the way through your hair, then immediately rinse it out!   You don't leave that first cleanse in your hair, it is being used to remove any products in your hair, any dust, pollen, pollutants or other things that your hair has collected during the time that has elapsed since the last time you washed it.  You want that cleanser to get in there, pick up all that stuff, including dead skin cells and excess oils, as well as hair spray or pollen, and carry it away when you rinse, NOT let it dry and re-deposit on your hair shafts and scalp!

THEN, when you have thoroughly rinsed all that cleanser and the dirt it has picked up out of your hair, that's when you put the second round of cleanser into your hair, work it through with lots of water to get it frothy and creamy, then turn to the rest of your shower tasks such as shaving, etc., and finally, when you are done scrubbing your last little toe, then rinse out your second cleanse.  That second cleanse is the conditioning step, the first cleanse is the cleaning step, that's why both, done right, are the key to getting the best results from your WEN.

Trusted Contributor

just wanted to say that is a very thoughtful post.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP wrote:

Okay, @hyacinth003 I see your mistake.  You put the CC for your first cleanse into your hair, work it in, add a good splash of water to get it all nice and lathered up, work it all the way through your hair, then immediately rinse it out!   You don't leave that first cleanse in your hair, it is being used to remove any products in your hair, any dust, pollen, pollutants or other things that your hair has collected during the time that has elapsed since the last time you washed it.  You want that cleanser to get in there, pick up all that stuff, including dead skin cells and excess oils, as well as hair spray or pollen, and carry it away when you rinse, NOT let it dry and re-deposit on your hair shafts and scalp!

THEN, when you have thoroughly rinsed all that cleanser and the dirt it has picked up out of your hair, that's when you put the second round of cleanser into your hair, work it through with lots of water to get it frothy and creamy, then turn to the rest of your shower tasks such as shaving, etc., and finally, when you are done scrubbing your last little toe, then rinse out your second cleanse.  That second cleanse is the conditioning step, the first cleanse is the cleaning step, that's why both, done right, are the key to getting the best results from your WEN.

@CamilleP 

@hyacinth003 

Yes--this.  Don't overthink the WEN application.  I use it the same way I use shampoo and conditioner, it's just one product instead of two.  (Although I happen to use different formulas for each, but that's my choice--it's not necessary.)

Make sure you wet your hair thoroughly before putting on the WEN.  My mistake when I first used it was using that "splash" of water with the first cleanse.  I need much more water than a "splash".  I wet my hair, apply the WEN, and then add quite a bit more water to get it all very slippery and creamy to massage in.  Then, as @CamilleP says, rinse it off right after massaging like you would shampoo.

Then do the second cleanse--which I think of as conditioning, not cleansing.  Put on the WEN, add a bit of water to be able to spread product evenly through hair.  Pin up your hair if it's long.  Leave this application on while you do the rest of your shower.  At the very end of shower, rinse this final application off completely and thoroughly.  Add leave-in and other products, if desired.

Don't be afraid to experiment.  Or ask more questions.  Good luck.

ETA:  One more note about how I use it...

I don't want as much conditioning on my scalp as I do on the ends of my hair.  So, on both first and second applications I add water immediately after I put the WEN on my scalp--before I put the WEN on my mid shaft and roots.  And I use more water on my scalp than on the rest of my hair.  The more water used, the easier it is to distribute evenly through the hair too.  

Use it the way you find it works best for you.  Which might not necessarily be the way Chaz or any of us may use it.😉

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Red is tough...period.  My hairdresser uses Aveda, which really takes well to my hair.  
I can honestly say, WEN does help me retain the vibrancy & richness longer than when I used shampoo.  I do get my color done every 6 weeks & by the 6th week it does lighten up a bit, but it still looks red.

I agree, red is tough - period.  I think WEN helps my color hold better than shampoo but it still fades and I don't think anything will prevent that.  The good thing in being home more is that I cleanse less often and that helps my color hold a bit longer.