WEN

Occasional Contributor

How to control grey, wiry hair

I'm hoping someone out there has the same combo of hair that I have.

I have a chin length bob of thin, straight as a poker, dry, black hair, coupled with about 60 percent of grey, wiry hair.

I'm a big fan of TT oil at night and that has produced an explosion of short 1-1.5 inch grey hairs that refuse to lay down and cooperate. Working a few drops of oil with my styling cream or RTM works for the ends, but is too much for the hairs so close to my scalp. Once I step outside, my hair turns into crazy lady hair. My grey hair has a life of its own.

I've tried all the CCs and have settled into using TT for my first cleanse, MIF and 613 for my second cleanse but definitely need to work something else into the rotation.

Fig was too moisturizing. Lavendar was too drying. SOB and WVM are just ok seasonals for me. I did not care for  SHP or SHL. I have not tried FGP or FTP yet or any of the kids formulas. At this point, I'm not sure what else I should try. Hoping someone else out there has a product or cleansing routine to share that will help me find my holy grail and tame the greys.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to control grey, wiry hair

@MalleyMaeBear I'm really glad that you started a separate thread on this because I've never seen this question asked here. Smiley Happy

I'm just going to repost the answer I gave you in the other thread, just 

to share the info with other Wenners who read this thread...

During June gallons month, Chaz had all the models share which of the CCs available in gallon size (all the Classics, plus Spring Orange Blossom-SOB, Summer Mango Coconut-SMC, Fall Ginger Pumpkin-FGP and Winter Vanilla Mint-WVM).

I took some notes on which formulas each model liked best.

Rosanna who is an older model with very curly wirey grey hair said that her favorites were Tea Tree (TT) and Fig. She also seemed to like Winter Vanilla MInt and Fall Ginger Pumpkin.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@MalleyMaeBear I'm really glad that you started a separate thread on this because I've never seen this question asked here. Smiley Happy

I'm just going to repost the answer I gave you in the other thread, just 

to share the info with other Wenners who read this thread...

During June gallons month, Chaz had all the models share which of the CCs available in gallon size (all the Classics, plus Spring Orange Blossom-SOB, Summer Mango Coconut-SMC, Fall Ginger Pumpkin-FGP and Winter Vanilla Mint-WVM).

I took some notes on which formulas each model liked best.

Rosanna who is an older model with very curly wirey grey hair said that her favorites were Tea Tree (TT) and Fig. She also seemed to like Winter Vanilla MInt and Fall Ginger Pumpkin.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Oh i missed that Bebe, i have such fine hair but also the new grays coming in, not wirey, but more frizzy, I swear by 613 Styling cream, i use it wet in shower and also a bit thru dry hair, if this helps anyone, the stuff is a miracle..Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Love the scent of 613, canNOT use it on my short graying hair.  I use it for my facial cleanser though Smiley Happy

For me, I use TT for first cleanse and then go with any of my favorite seasonals (Honey Peach or Honey Lilac) or Pom for my 2nd.  I use the same styling cream as the 2nd cleanse cc - love it for heat protection.  I always blow dry on low heat and then when I'm done, I put about 3 drops of oil in my hand (again using the formula that matches my 2nd cleanse) and rub my palms together, then do a quick rub just in the front where my gray gets wiry.  This gives me just the right amount of extra  moisture to keep my hair behaved.

Trusted Contributor

I have thin curly hair, about 50% grey that never wants to cooperate. What has helped me the most is using the mousse. I had good results but after watching on this last visit, I realized I wasn't using enough. I started using more and have better results!  Those grey hairs are behaving now!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Not much to add except that TT is apparently the one for grey because the essential oil is nearly clear. My greys are good and I use a variety of formulas, but I would say stick with TT to accelerate the growth. Obviously shorter hairs are harder to control till they blend in. I also use mousse as part of my leave in every time.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like TT Oil is working it's magic!

My hair is bipolar as it is.  My 5-10% gray is certifiable.

That being said, for my course, curly hair, Fig works wonders!

ETA: For comparison - when I use a CC that my hair loves, like Fig or Fall Tuscan Pear, my curls are full and bungee, including my grays. 

When I use a CC my hair doesn't like (BGT or the last summer one), my curls are tight and my grays go their own direction.  And they get yellow.

I also add silicones to my Wen leave-ins to tame my grays.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I think regular remoist treatments and overnight oil treatments may help with unruly grays.

Have you tried mixing an equal ratio of FIG and LAV in order to create a balance between too moisturizing and too drying?

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️