WEN

Honored Contributor

How many pumps of styling cream for heat protection?

My hair is about waist length, medium texture, wavy/curly and on the thicker side of normal. I started blow drying/diffusing regularly for the first time a couple months ago and I'm not sure if I'm using enough SC for heat protection. I was using three pumps but recently I went to four. 

The recommendations on the listing only say based on hair type not length which makes no sense. You'd think I'd know after using Wen for five years but I didn't pay attention since I wasn't blow drying. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: How many pumps of styling cream for heat protection?

@jaxs mom wrote:

My hair is about waist length, medium texture, wavy/curly and on the thicker side of normal. I started blow drying/diffusing regularly for the first time a couple months ago and I'm not sure if I'm using enough SC for heat protection. I was using three pumps but recently I went to four. 

The recommendations on the listing only say based on hair type not length which makes no sense. You'd think I'd know after using Wen for five years but I didn't pay attention since I wasn't blow drying. 

@jaxs momI think that's not enough. Let's see what the others say. Usually his directions are for more product in the leave-in for AA but anyway... For my AA below shoulder length hair, I use 6 pumps with my leave-in through the length and then just raking my wet hands through the temples. If my hair isn't wet and I am going to be bad with a curcling iron, I probably use 2-3 pumps concentrated a little more on the ends. I lift up half and put some in too, then comb it through so I get a little distribution. 

That's my two cents...HTH

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

JaxsMom, your hair is really long.  When mine was down to my butt and mid back, I used a few pumps too.  I found that if I only used one it wasn't enough coverage because I blow mine dry.  Now, my hair is in a pixie.  It was so good to get all that hair off of me.  My hair type sounds like yours.  Mine is mostly platinum, which I hate but I don't want to color anymore.  Wen makes any color gorgeous though so that makes up for it.  I found better ways to use Wen too and I'm an eight year Wen girl!   Oh, I see you don't blow dry.  Chaz always tries to get people to air dry.  Mine is way too wild.  Now, I don't even have to round brush.  I just use the dryer on warm, not hot, and take a brush and just brush backwards up my whole head and take the top, which is a bit longer and roll it up in the brush and aim the dryer at it, finger blow dry for a few minutes and I'm done.  It only takes around ten minutes whereas before it took 45 and it felt like I was holding a bowling ball over my head as my dryer is heavy.  My hair has such bounce that if I move my head slightly it's bouncing all over the place.  Your hair sounds really pretty, what color is yours?  Chaz says experiement too.  I do, but I usually stick to what he recommends.

Respected Contributor

Hi Kjelle,  I think it's a good idea to use a decent amount of leave and and styling creme for curling iron.  I got a flat iron just for fly aways but since I cut it REALLY short, it sits in the case!  I think your regimen is pretty good.  I always used one whole pump of leave in and if I felt that wasn't enough I'd grab another, when my hair was long and two pumps of styling creme.  Of course while soaking wet.  I found that the 613 styling creme PLUMPS it up immediately while it's being applied.  It's the oddest thing.  It just starts plumping.  I love the Bamboo styling creme too, that one doesn't plump it but it makes great results.  I found that the FVWP one makes great results too.

Honored Contributor

I do blow dry now, but I only started a few months ago, I got tired of the 8+ hour air dry times. I'll try more pumps and see. I haven't had any damage since I started blow drying regularly but I'm using the Dyson dryer with the speed on low and the heat off if I'm diffusing and occasionally on 1 if I'm in a hurry and blowing it straight but that's rare. 

Honored Contributor

ok so I cleansed my hair this morning after I posted and I used CA first cleanse, STP second cleanse, two pumps of STP leave in, 5 pumps of CA SC and that's all. I even combed my hair in the shower after putting all that leave in and SC in which I never do and when I bent over to cup my curls and then plop my hair I was amazed at how curly it was.  

I didn't even use gel, because I wanted to see what it was like with just the SC. I diffused it dry no heat and the lowest speed setting and it came out with lots of wave and curl from the scalp down.  I finished it off with a little BGT VTS. The very front of my hair has a few spots that are much looser waves but not with this routine. 

Honored Contributor

Ok so I ordered that ODO set with the mousse, how many pumps should I try on top of the SC and leave in?