WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: Hope Everyone Is Safe From Quake

@77yangya wrote:

SurferWife, are you okay?  Please let us know.  I saw that there was a quake that registered 7.5 magnitude and that's pretty strong.  They issued tsunami warning but that's been cancelled.  I know it was very near Alaska but they mentioned other areas for tidal wave warning, and for the sake of anonymity I won't mention exact locals.

I know there are some here that live in the danger area.  Please post that you're all okay.  Thank you.  It keeps running through my mind and I'm a worrier.  Maybe that's why my hair turned platinum early...lol....

@77yangya 

The quake was off the southern tip of Alaska.  We were under a Tsunami Advisory, which means nothing.  We do live in a mandatory evacuation zone.  Good thing is the escape route, up the mountain, is at the end of the street. In 11 years, we've had to go up the mountain twice, but thankfully nothing happened.  We never knew it was so beautiful up there!  It's only open to the public during a Tsunami evacuation.  We do have our Tsunami evacuation folder with all important papers ready to go in a moment's notice...always.  We grab Toby, his food, snacks, water, Tsunami folder, a few clothes & people food & up the mountain we go.  But, it's only happened twice that we'e been mandated to evacuate.   God has graced us out both times!  You're so kind to think of us!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Kachina624 

It was, so I was confused by the concern for Hawaii residents?

@KingstonsMom 

Often the AK earthquakes affect us because of the direction of the waves.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Kachina624 It would have to veer way off course to get to me. Smiley LOL

I think the poster thought the tsunami could reach Hawaii. I was in Bangkok when the big tsunami wiped out much of Puckett in Thailand, and the newspapers stated that the tsunami had an effect all the way to Hawaii. So, I guess it is possible to feel/see some effects of it coming from Alaska, if strong enough.

@World Traveler 

Yes, they can.  More often than not, we are under a Tsunami Advisory, at least, & many do become Warnings.  However, they generally end up not reaching us.  In either case, we are always ready to go.  We live beachfront, so there's no way I'm sticking around if we are told to evacuate.  Insurance replaces "stuff".

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

SurferWife, are you okay?  Please let us know.  I saw that there was a quake that registered 7.5 magnitude and that's pretty strong.  They issued tsunami warning but that's been cancelled.  I know it was very near Alaska but they mentioned other areas for tidal wave warning, and for the sake of anonymity I won't mention exact locals.

I know there are some here that live in the danger area.  Please post that you're all okay.  Thank you.  It keeps running through my mind and I'm a worrier.  Maybe that's why my hair turned platinum early...lol....

@77yangya 

The quake was off the southern tip of Alaska.  We were under a Tsunami Advisory, which means nothing.  We do live in a mandatory evacuation zone.  Good thing is the escape route, up the mountain, is at the end of the street. In 11 years, we've had to go up the mountain twice, but thankfully nothing happened.  We never knew it was so beautiful up there!  It's only open to the public during a Tsunami evacuation.  We do have our Tsunami evacuation folder with all important papers ready to go in a moment's notice...always.  We grab Toby, his food, snacks, water, Tsunami folder, a few clothes & people food & up the mountain we go.  But, it's only happened twice that we'e been mandated to evacuate.   God has graced us out both times!  You're so kind to think of us!

SurferWife, I'm SO very glad you're okay.  It scares me to know that they have that kind of thing in place but it is necessary.  Thank you for letting us know you're okay. XXXOOO

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

@77yangya 

@SurferWife I am so, so surprised! You didn't say a thing about grabbing your WEN!! Smiley LOL  Or would that weigh you down? Heart

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler 

LOL!  Well, the times we did have to evacuate was prior to accumulating enough WEN to supply a small country.  Now, I would probaby at least grab my 32 ouncers!