WEN

Super Contributor

Heat protectant before flat ironing

Hi ladies. I know Chaz has said the styling cream is a heat protectant. I’m just double checking to what else, if anything, people use before flat ironing. I’ve recently transitioned to my natural color, primarily white, and yellowing can occur using heat. I’m trying to avoid that of course. I’m growing out my layers in the back and they’re sticking up and driving me nuts. I want to lay them down a bit with the iron. Does the smoothing serum provide the same kind of protection I wonder? Maybe I should take this to the WEN website? Any thoughts?
Honored Contributor

Re: Heat protectant before flat ironing

see imabeautygeek dot com and my grey hair is turning yellow.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cac140

I put "heat protectant" into the search on Chaz's site and it showed a lot of styling cream. I checked the glossing serum, and it'll help if you've already fried your hair, but it's not a heat protectant.

YellowIndigo

Respected Contributor

So far as I have ever heard, nothing but the styling creme acts as a heat protectant, cac140.  It works really well, too!  I admit, I use more than Chaz recommends, but my hair was permed a few months ago, so it's chemically damaged already, and thirstier than usual, too.  I prefer to mix my leave-in conditioner and styling cream in my hands in the shower, then work it through my hair.  I don't use it every day, only when I know I'm going to be heat styling, but it's a lifesaver for my hair.

Respected Contributor

@cac140 wrote:
Hi ladies. I know Chaz has said the styling cream is a heat protectant. I’m just double checking to what else, if anything, people use before flat ironing. I’ve recently transitioned to my natural color, primarily white, and yellowing can occur using heat. I’m trying to avoid that of course. I’m growing out my layers in the back and they’re sticking up and driving me nuts. I want to lay them down a bit with the iron. Does the smoothing serum provide the same kind of protection I wonder? Maybe I should take this to the WEN website? Any thoughts?

My hair is platinum, I mean stark white.  I hate it but I don't want the color treatment commitment.  How do you get the yellow in your hair?  I would welcome that!

Respected Contributor

@cac140

I have long hair (past my shoulders) and use the Caj flip n' bend, Instyler, and a regular flat iron.  Which tool I use depends on the final desired results and the time I want to spend. 

I use a 1/2 pump (32 oz. size) of a seasonal CC as a leave-in, and then two pumps of styling cream.  After I have dried my hair. I use a light overall spritzing of the 319 dry oil spray before I use my heat iron tool(s).  Then, after I have completed my styling, I use a 3-4 pumps of the dry oil again.  It adds shine and helps eliminate frizz.  I'm not sure if it protects from heat damage, but I think it might.  I know it helps my style look healthy.

Super Contributor

Thank you for the great advice. I don’t think I’m using enough styling cream. I’m going to change that. Never used the dry oil. Think I’ll try it soon. Thank you ladies! Good suggestions here. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

HI @cac140. This doesn't address heat protection, but what about using Bella Spirit Indigo to take out the yellowing?  The white and silver haired ladies on this board have had amazing results with it making their whites whiter!  HTH 😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Cac140, my hair is just past my shoulders, and I use two pumps of leave-in from a 32 ounce seasonal CC and three pumps of styling creme, stir and mix it together in my hands, spread it evenly (mostly) across my hands, then work it into my hair while still in the shower.  That sounds like a lot, I know, but for some reason (hard water, my permed hair?) it all works in and disappears, and I know my hair is protected when I use my Beachwaver. 

Respected Contributor

@cac140 wrote:
Thank you for the great advice. I don’t think I’m using enough styling cream. I’m going to change that. Never used the dry oil. Think I’ll try it soon. Thank you ladies! Good suggestions here. Smiley Happy

@cac140  The dry oil is amazing. I only use it on my face and mist my hair wet hair after I take the towel off, I cleanse every day. A bottle lasts me a very long time using it this way.