WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Completed my transition to gray!

Cac, it's the minerals in the water.

But REALLY dahlink . . .

download.jpeg

Respected Contributor

And remember ... its better to look good than to feel good ...!!

Super Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@cac140 - Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, however, try calling Wen CS (the number is on the bottle) and see if they can help you out. They have always been helpful when I've had questions.

That is an excellent idea.  Thank you so much!

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@cac140  May I also recommend a good shower filter to filter out minerals and chlorine which can turn blond and white/ grey hair yellowish. 

Yes, I read that as well and we have done that.  Thank you!  

Super Contributor

@woodyend wrote:

Congrats on your new look. 

I have silver hair and have found that some meds can yellow my hair and even the oils from my hands and hand cream can yellow it. I have not notice that any of the CC or oils makes any difference, but that’s just me.  

That is so interesting you say that.  I never thought about hand creams or body creams being on your palms and then touching your hair.  So many new things to think about! haha.. Better than roots! Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@cac140 I started graying when I was 21 years old and after a few years of "frosting" my hair, which was popular where I lived back in the 70's, my stylist said "you know, you don't have to pay me for this look...you have enough gray hair of your own!" So, I stopped and now I get a lot of compliments on my natural color. 

I started using WEN three summers ago and have found many formulas of WEN work well for me. In fact, since using WEN I have had natural highlights coming thru my gray. Amazing!

The first thing I noticed when I had been using WEN for a short time is that my gray hair did NOT require the "purple" rinse to take away the tinge that was happening before. Using WEN meant I did not have to balance color; WEN took care of that.

Personally, I use Tea Tree for the first rinse, as I was losing hair prior to WEN. Using Tea Tree has taken care of making my scalp healthy and I am happy to say that my hair has filled back in after continuous use of TT. I also use TT oil almost every night, which has helped with the regrowth. So I highly recommend that formula.

For the second cleanse, I could use TT again; however, I love the various seasonals and use them instead. I consider it aromatherapy when I use many of the choices available.

You might do what I did when I first started.....I purchased the variety pack of the classics. Even though I had a lot of help in deciding what to use from the gals on this forum, their suggestions and well-thought out reasoning were verified by the way my hair reacted to each of the classics. Some just didn't work well for me; and others (Tea Tree and Lavender, which they recommended) worked wonderfully with my hair.

Good luck in whichever formula you try!

I am not new to WEN.  I have been using it consistently for probably about five years now, maybe longer.  It took my heavily damaged hair to a whole new level.  I have been listening to people and reading that certain color hair products can yellow the hair.  I do similarly to you, tea tree for first cleanse (sometimes sweet almond mint) and a seasonal for my second cleanse.  With exception to the ginger pumpkin, they are white in color so I'm not really concerned.  I do love the oils however and the tea tree seems okay.  Very light in color.  I'm just not sure about the rest of them yellowing my hair.  Do you know if any other oils are clear or nearly clear? I'm thrilled to read that you don't need to use the purple shampoo.  I have been using it once or twice a month and although it brightens up my hair, I don't like the condition it is left in and want to just stick with WEN if I can.  Thank you so much for all the great info.  I really appreciate it! 

Super Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

@cac140 Congratulations on your hair color transition. I’m 64 and my roots look silvery grey. I’m ready too I think. I’ve started wearing my hair shorter for this very reason. Did you let your hair change without help from your hair stylist? I’m kinda scared to make change but want to. Your avatar looks great.

Thank you!  I am beyond excited to be natural.  It took me about 14 months from start to finish with a shoulder length layered cut.  Not always easy but very worthwhile.  I learned a lot about myself along the way.  Very empowering.  I highly recommend it.  I started with a yucky rust colored hair and went cold turkey to a silver white.  My stylist was not on board with me at the beginning but now she loves it.  She was horrified I was walking around with white roots.  But I really didn't care what anyone else thought.  I wanted to be done.  Best thing I ever did for myself.  My avatar is not at full transition. I still had a few inches left to go.  I should post a new one.  I get lots of compliments on my hair now.  That never happened when I was dyeing it.  Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Cac, it's the minerals in the water.

But REALLY dahlink . . .

download.jpeg

Thank you! haha... I know it's the minerals but I keep hearing it can be products too so I'm nervous.  I want to keep using my WEN.  Maybe I'll just stick to tea tree and stop agonizing over this.  I really want to find out if Cucumber/Aloe is truly clarifying.  Guess I should just buy it and find out myself! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I used to have a yellow place where I pushed my bangs back because of the oils, lotion or makeup on my hand. I now use 6/13 to remove my makeup, it works like a charm, I don’t need to stretch my face so hard to remove said makeup and it doesn’t sting my eyes. And no worries if it gets in my hair. Now about the oils. To my eye the TT, Lav and fig oils look the same a little bit on the yellow side. I hope this helps.

Super Contributor

@woodyend Thank you!  It does help. I have bangs and am always pushing them aside with my hands. I need to be more mindful of that. I’ll just have to think on the oils a bit and take a good look at them. Got an unopened vanilla white pumpkin. I’ll be peeking at that soon. Thanks again!