WEN

Super Contributor

Completed my transition to gray!

Hi ladies! I haven’t posted in quite some time due to personal reasons but want to check in. I have completed my transition to gray and couldn’t be more excited about it. I’m told I need to clarify my hair more often to keep it from yellowing due to pollutants and the sun as it is predominantly white. I’m wondering if Cucumber Aloe helps with that. I’ve been told to steer clear of anything that is not white or clear in color. Do any of you silver haired ladies recommend certain WEN products? Particularly the oils? Some of the ones I have are yellowish and I’m leery of using them. The tea tree doesn’t look too bad. The last thing I want is yellowing hair after going through a cold turkey transition. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Completed my transition to gray!

@cac140 - Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, however, try calling Wen CS (the number is on the bottle) and see if they can help you out. They have always been helpful when I've had questions.

Super Contributor

I turned 70 in January and decided that this was the time to stop coloring my hair. Cold turkey.  It is not grey yet but it is now close. I am ok with whatever it's  going to be. I am in a happy plece...one less thing to worry about.

Honored Contributor

@cac140  May I also recommend a good shower filter to filter out minerals and chlorine which can turn blond and white/ grey hair yellowish. 

Honored Contributor

What will make your gray or white hair yellow is the water you use to wash your hair. If you have a whole house water softener and filter, it will not only protect your plumbing, but your skin and hair. My husband uses WEN CC and the hair mask and his silver gray hair is fabulous. We live in the woods and have a well, so an ultra violet light and whole house water softener, plus a filtering system is essential to maintain our health.

Valued Contributor

Congrats on your new look. 

I have silver hair and have found that some meds can yellow my hair and even the oils from my hands and hand cream can yellow it. I have not notice that any of the CC or oils makes any difference, but that’s just me.  

Honored Contributor

@cac140 I started graying when I was 21 years old and after a few years of "frosting" my hair, which was popular where I lived back in the 70's, my stylist said "you know, you don't have to pay me for this look...you have enough gray hair of your own!" So, I stopped and now I get a lot of compliments on my natural color. 

I started using WEN three summers ago and have found many formulas of WEN work well for me. In fact, since using WEN I have had natural highlights coming thru my gray. Amazing!

The first thing I noticed when I had been using WEN for a short time is that my gray hair did NOT require the "purple" rinse to take away the tinge that was happening before. Using WEN meant I did not have to balance color; WEN took care of that.

Personally, I use Tea Tree for the first rinse, as I was losing hair prior to WEN. Using Tea Tree has taken care of making my scalp healthy and I am happy to say that my hair has filled back in after continuous use of TT. I also use TT oil almost every night, which has helped with the regrowth. So I highly recommend that formula.

For the second cleanse, I could use TT again; however, I love the various seasonals and use them instead. I consider it aromatherapy when I use many of the choices available.

You might do what I did when I first started.....I purchased the variety pack of the classics. Even though I had a lot of help in deciding what to use from the gals on this forum, their suggestions and well-thought out reasoning were verified by the way my hair reacted to each of the classics. Some just didn't work well for me; and others (Tea Tree and Lavender, which they recommended) worked wonderfully with my hair.

Good luck in whichever formula you try!

Honored Contributor

@cac140 Congratulations on your hair color transition. I’m 64 and my roots look silvery grey. I’m ready too I think. I’ve started wearing my hair shorter for this very reason. Did you let your hair change without help from your hair stylist? I’m kinda scared to make change but want to. Your avatar looks great.

Regular Contributor

Aveda's Blue Malva. Fabulous.

Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo

Esteemed Contributor

I have had silver hair for a very long time.  I wash and go.  No real product except drug store brand shampoo on sale.  I rotate.  I don't brush or comb my hair either.  I just puff it up put in a bit of hairspray and go.