WEN

Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 2,103
Registered: ‎05-25-2014

Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question

I've cleansed my face with the oils a few times, but am not sure that I'm doing it as efficaciously as possible. I've never really cleansed with oils, but I know that a few of you ladies are pros and might be able to guide me.

 

I wear a full face of makeup (foundation, shadow, liner, mascara, lips) - so I use a full dropper of the oil and basically smear it all over my face, taking special care around my eyes. I then remove it with a damp microfiber washcloth.

 

My face doesn't feel clean at that point, though, so I add a few more drops of oil and massage it all over my face. I then wipe it off with the washcloth. If I didn't wear so much makeup, I might be able to condense this from 2 steps down to a 1 step cleanse, I think.

 

How does everyone else cleanse with the oils? Any tips?

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎08-30-2013

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question

You might want to do some research into OCM, the Oil Cleansing Method. There are much cheaper (and probably more efficient) ways to oil cleanse, instead of using Wen treatment oils. I haven't tried "official" OCM (typically uses various oils that can are relatively inexpensive), but I've used oil based cleansers for well over a year now and have been very happy with the results. 

 

My my skin is very oily, and I was skeptical of using an oil cleanser, I couldn't wrap my mind around the process. I started with one of the more popular ones, DHC Cleansing oil. I really liked the results, but it felt a bit like using olive oil. Right now, I'm using Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing oil (via Amazon). It was recommend by JeanLouiseFinch (as a dupe for Tatcha's Cleansing oil). I'm really loving it, more so than the DHC one. 

 

I use use a pump and a half to remove everything (including waterproof mascara), applying it to dry skin, massaging in really well. Then I add a bit of water to my palms (the water turns it white and milky), massage again, add a bit more water, then rinse with warm water. Because it emulsifies, it removes everything, with no residue at all. That's the biggest difference from using the Wen oils. 

 

Some me people use a blend of oils (olive oil, castor oil, etc) to cleanse, but I like using a product that emulsifies and rinses cleanly. That's a huge plus for me. I don't need to use a separate eye makeup remover, so it has streamlined my evening routine. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,377
Registered: ‎05-02-2015

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question

I didn't know WEN had cleansing oils. I thought they were all treatment oils. Not all oils are meant to be cleansers.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor
Posts: 2,103
Registered: ‎05-25-2014

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question


@DoxieMomma wrote:

You might want to do some research into OCM, the Oil Cleansing Method. There are much cheaper (and probably more efficient) ways to oil cleanse, instead of using Wen treatment oils. I haven't tried "official" OCM (typically uses various oils that can are relatively inexpensive), but I've used oil based cleansers for well over a year now and have been very happy with the results. 

 

My my skin is very oily, and I was skeptical of using an oil cleanser, I couldn't wrap my mind around the process. I started with one of the more popular ones, DHC Cleansing oil. I really liked the results, but it felt a bit like using olive oil. Right now, I'm using Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing oil (via Amazon). It was recommend by JeanLouiseFinch (as a dupe for Tatcha's Cleansing oil). I'm really loving it, more so than the DHC one. 

 

I use use a pump and a half to remove everything (including waterproof mascara), applying it to dry skin, massaging in really well. Then I add a bit of water to my palms (the water turns it white and milky), massage again, add a bit more water, then rinse with warm water. Because it emulsifies, it removes everything, with no residue at all. That's the biggest difference from using the Wen oils. 

 

Some me people use a blend of oils (olive oil, castor oil, etc) to cleanse, but I like using a product that emulsifies and rinses cleanly. That's a huge plus for me. I don't need to use a separate eye makeup remover, so it has streamlined my evening routine. 


Thanks for your detailed post! I'm not really looking to find another oil based cleanser, but I appreciate your suggestions. The only reason I asked about the WEN oils is because I have a good amount on hand, and even more on the way with multiple orders of the September TSV. I figured that I might as well put the oils to multiple use since I will have so many of them, lol!

Super Contributor
Posts: 2,103
Registered: ‎05-25-2014

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question


@Adelina wrote:

I didn't know WEN had cleansing oils. I thought they were all treatment oils. Not all oils are meant to be cleansers.


Chaz regularly demos the treatment oils as cleansers. The model Amy (I think that's her name) is usually the one demonstrating.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 204
Registered: ‎08-18-2015

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question

I have used some of the WEN oils for makeup removal and cleansing. I find I remove more makeup and enjoy a deeper cleanse when I use a cleansing oil (currently Burt's Bees). At times I have used the WEN oil to remove makeup and then cleansed with traditional facial cleanser. In a pinch I have used the oil to remove makeup and then followed up with a facial cleansing wipe.  I hope you find an oil cleansing method you like.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,377
Registered: ‎05-02-2015

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question


@Colonel Meow wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

I didn't know WEN had cleansing oils. I thought they were all treatment oils. Not all oils are meant to be cleansers.


Chaz regularly demos the treatment oils as cleansers. The model Amy (I think that's her name) is usually the one demonstrating.


____________________________________

 

Thanks @Colonel Meow. I did not see that. I will have to check what is in the oils that can also be cleansing. I use a few different kinds of oils (not WEN) as as boosters for moisturizers etc, but I would never use them for cleansers. The oils I have tried as cleansers were formulated as such. 

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor
Posts: 2,103
Registered: ‎05-25-2014

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question


@CoCo87 wrote:

I have used some of the WEN oils for makeup removal and cleansing. I find I remove more makeup and enjoy a deeper cleanse when I use a cleansing oil (currently Burt's Bees). At times I have used the WEN oil to remove makeup and then cleansed with traditional facial cleanser. In a pinch I have used the oil to remove makeup and then followed up with a facial cleansing wipe.  I hope you find an oil cleansing method you like.


 

So, it sounds as though you had the same experience in cleansing with the WEN oil. Thanks for providing your experience. I'm honestly not looking for an alternate oil-cleansing method; it's just that I have a good amount of WEN oil (and am expecting more in September), so I was hoping to use it occasionally as a cleanser.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 2,103
Registered: ‎05-25-2014

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question

Adelina - yes, I was hoping that a WENner experienced in cleansing with the oils would provide some feedback here. Maybe they would also be able to answer some of your questions. BTW - you have a lovely nic! 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎08-30-2013

Re: Cleansing face with WEN oils - a question

@Colonel Meow Gotcha!  Feel free to send any of those extra oils my way, I'll put them to good use! 😍

 

You may still want to do some research into OCM, there might be some tips to help maximize the effectiveness of cleansing with the Wen oils. I've read that a lot of people double cleanse, so it seems similar to what you're already doing.

 

As an oily skinned, acne prone gal, I need a cleanser that is super effective without being harsh or stripping, and an emulsifying oil cleanser has been perfect for me. It also helps that it's a one step cleansing process, so even on my laziest nights, I always wash my face. (Even I'm not lazy enough to skip one, easy step😃). Then, once I've washed my face, it's a cinch to follow up with the rest of my skincare. No more excuses to be lazy 😃