WEN

Occasional Contributor

Chaz's product recommender

[ Edited ]

I began using WEN this summer and have been thrilled so far -- I started with POM CC and have just begun branching out and making the commitment to other products and trying other scents (So thankful for the TSV! I'm loving the oil) to find my best results and favorite combo. I'm definitely looking forward to December and then to some of the seasonals (SHL and SHP sound lovely). But enough about me...

Having seen what wen has done for my hair, I've convinced my mom to give it a try. She tried it once years ago, and you guys know the refrain: she didn't want to repeat, didn't think she needed the amount it said, and, of course, gave up when it "didn't work." She promises to actually follow directions this time!

Her scalp/hair is vastly different from mine -- pretty much polar opposite.  She tried a cleanse with SAM and was impressed, though she understood when I said that a different formula (I was thinking TT) would give her better results and be more helpful for her scalp.

Wanting more than what I could get from the basic descriptions I've heard for the formulas, I remembered that one of you gals suggested going to Chaz's site for the product recommender: chazdean.com/recommender/

Having filled it out for her info, it said:

good - SAM

better - LAV

best - BGT

After playing around a bit more on the site, a chat box popped up asking if I had any questions -- I was thrilled that Chaz's people offer personalized, real time help to visitors! After explaining my mom's specific issues in more detail than that automated questionairre allowed and having a brief discussion with the employee, she recommended TT.

I know that many of you gals mix your CCs for best performance, but I'm just curious as to how accurate you find the product recommender.  Is the "best" product the one you actually use the most?

I'm going to get my mom the TT, but I'm wondering, if the product recommendations are usually good, if her next scent/formula should be BGT.

So, just how good is the computer at determining your CC? Thoughts?

(BTW, when I try it on my own hair, it recommends best as POM, which makes me proud of my initial choice)

Honored Contributor

Re: Chaz's product recommender

[ Edited ]

@phoebesnow Welcome to the Wen forum and the wonderful world of Wen!!! Smiley Happy

I love my Wen and I think so very highly of Chaz, so I always feel a bit sad when I say that I his formula recommender is confusing for me. Just now, I went to his site and checked it out once again. I tweaked a few of my options (within reasonable parameters) but, for the most part, their suggestions do not include the formulas that work best for my hair.

I have baby fine, porous hair. -- I've tried most of the formulas except for Wen Men, the Kids CCs, Fall Tuscan Pear, Winter White Citrus and Spring Honey Lilac. So I've figured out what works best on my hair.

Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) is my "go to" first cleanse and The Seasonal of the Moment (or Bamboo Green Tea - BGT) is my second cleanse. I use 613 CC as part of my leave in and, if my hair starts to look damaged, a 613 cleanse bounces my hair right back into shape. 

With Chaz's formula recommender, when I experimented with various results (within the parameters of my hair type) Lavender (LAV) was always among the top results. LAV frizzes my hair out or leaves it lifeless (crazy contradictory results, I know), but it never works for my hair. In fact, within this forum, LAV seems to be the most problematic CC for people to use (some like it, but a number of people have had problems with it).

Cucumber Aloe (CA) came up a lot as well. Now CA does work well for my hair type but I've read a number of posts from Wenners who have my hair type who felt that it was drying on their hair.

Sweet Almond Mint (SAM) also came up occasionally and it always weighs my hair down. -- To be fair, my results with SAM do not seem to be typical at all. SAM is a Universal and it seems to work well for most people.

Pomegranate (POM) was the other formula suggested and it works well on my hair. POM is also a Universal since it works well for all types of hair. 

So, the info above us why I find the formula recommender to be confusing.

___

UNIVERSAL WEN CLEANSING CONDITIONERS

I think the three Universal choices which most Wenners agree on are Tea Tree (TT), Pomegranate (POM) and Sweet Almond Mint (SAM).

All of the the Seasonals, Bamboo Green Tea (BGT), Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) and 613 have the added skin care ingredients and the amino acid complex in them. -- The amino acid complex works wonders for my thin/baby fine hair and my hair literally can't get enough of it (I once kept a 613 CC hair mask on my hair for three days).

In contrast, if you have healthy hair or coarse/thick hair then you should probably add these formulas in slowly and see how your hair response to them. This is because these hair types naturally have more protein in their hair than do folks who have thin/fine hair. -- Too much protein in the hair can cause the hair to get dry, brittle and can even cause hair breakage. A number of people with these two hair types do use the amino acid formulas but they just don't use it every time they cleanse their hair. 

So it's probably easiest to start out by trying Tea Tree (TT), Pomegranate (POM) and Sweet Almond Mint (SAM).

___

The WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner Trio, 16 oz is a great 3-piece 16oz kit that includes Tea Tree, Pomegranate, and Sweet Almond Mint. It's priced at $64 which means that each CC is just $21.33 plus a single $3 S&H charge. -- These are three universal formulas that work well for most people and it's a great value price.

Best Seller
QVC Price:$64.00
Available for 4 Easy Payments

___

The WEN by Chaz Dean 16oz. Cleansing Conditioner w/ Travel Packs  includes a 16oz SAM plus (8) 2oz Classic Variety pack of CCs. It's priced at $39.86 which means that each 16oz of CC is about $20 (versus the Classic CC 16oz regular price of $29). -- This lets you try all 6 of the Classic CCs at a great value price.

Best Seller
QVC Price: $44.00Featured Price: $39.86

___

i think the Classic formulas are a great place to start and these are two options that are available at excellent values.

Best of Luck!!

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@phoebesnow , I put the information below together a while back. You can also find it in the Wen FAQ thread (message #4) and Wen 101 thread (message #7). -- bebe Smiley Happy

WEN SCENTS

Most Popular Wen Scent (in my opinion)

Tea Tree (TT) -- it really helps to keep your scalp healthy, balances oil production, keeps dandruff at bay, and seems to make your hair grow more quickly. Chaz calls it one of the "universals". Most Wenners on this board (as well as the Wen models & hosts) seem to incorporate it into their routine. Besides its slightly medicinal smell, which most people get used to fairly quickly, I've only read a few complaints about it.

____

Scents Used for Specific Reasons

* Sweet Almond MInt (SAM) / Pomegranate (POM) / Tea Tree (TT) / Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) -- considered universals (i.e. for everyone) -- BGT, some people find too drying -- SAM, the first CC Chaz created, is sometimes too heavy for baby fine hair.

* Fig (FIG) -- most moisturizing (sometimes too heavy for baby fine hair)

* Summer Honey Peach (SHP) / Summer Mango Coconut (SMC) / Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) -- moisturizing (just not quite as moisturizing as Fig) without weighing down baby fine hair. -- MIF, some people find a bit drying.

* Cucumber Aloe (CA) -- most clarifying/astringent (some people find it too drying)

* Lavender (LAV) -- for volume, if you have a lot of hair (sometimes the witch hazel makes it too drying for not a lot of thin/fine hair)

* Tea Tree (TT) -- maybe for some volume, if you have thin/fine hair.

* Tea Tree (TT) -- normalizes an oily scalp by rebalancing sebum production (results take a few months). Also, as an anti-fungal, tea tree oil helps get rid of excessive fungal growth which can cause dandruff.

* 613 / Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) / Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) / Wen Men / all the Seasonals -- adds amino acids (e.g. protein) and additional skin care ingredients to your hair. 613 is the most concentrated (to quote Chaz: "Wen on steroids"). -- If you already have a healthy head of hair or if you have thick/coarse hair, in particular, use 613 sparingly at first. To a lesser extent, this applies to all the cleansing conditioners which contain the amino acid complex. -- For some people, it can make your hair feel like straw or even cause your hair to get brittle and break. Your hair is made of protein. Depending on your hair type, too much protein may not be a good thing (but generally it's great for thin, fine, damaged hair).

* Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) and Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) -- are the two cleansing conditioners in the Restorative line, which uses a proprietary bamboo water and bamboo extract in their formulations. Bamboo contains natural silica which increases hair strength while keeping it flexible. This way the hair doesn't become rigid and more likely to break (which can happen if sand silica is used as an ingredient).

* Kids formulas (Apple (WKA), Watermelon (WKW), & Strawberry-Banana (KWSB)) -- gentlest for the hair and scalp (rice based / no menthol)

____

Allergies -- scents used because of specific allergies

* for those with allergies - *cleansing conditioners* - best choices -- wheat allergies: soy-based (POM, 613 & Seasonals) or rice-based (Kids formulas, BGT & MIF) formulas -- soy allergies: rice-based (Kids formulas, BGT & MIF) -- nut allergies: soy-based (613 & Fall Tuscan Pear (FTP)), rice-based (Kids formulas, BGT -- MIF (?)) ---- to be safe, *ALWAYS* read the ingredients listings.

* for those with nut allergies - product lines - best choices (per Chaz Dean's Salon on 3/25/14) -- 613 products: CC, SC, RTM & mousse. ---- some POM products: SC, GS, & Re-Moist are nut-free. -- Sweet almond oil (nut-based) is in the POM CC, RTM, BCC, & BL. -- Sweet almond fruit (nut-based?) is in the mousse and finishing creme. -- POM Treatment Oil (forgot to ask). ---- Fall Tuscan Pear (FTP) cleansing conditioner---- to be safe, *ALWAYS* read the ingredients listings.

*** to be on the safe side, *ALWAYS* read the ingredients listings. ***

____

last update: 8/22/15

Valued Contributor

I am confused by the recommender right now. At times it has given me absolutely spot on recommendations. However, I went and did it a few minutes ago and was told"

Good    BGT

Better LAV

Best POM

Well, POM is "ok" for me if I do it for a first cleanse and do a second cleanse of 613, MIF, or a seasonal.

LAV I have not used in awhile because it was becoming too drying. There was a time when I loved it. I could probably still use it, mixed with something else.

BGT...I like BGT but usually I have to mix in some 613.

I feel my best results are currently from seasonals or MIF, sometimes with some SAM mixed in (I get great shine from SAM),

I would say that the recommender is a good place to start if you have no clue what to try, but sometimes if you experiment you may find that you love something that wasn't given as an option.

Trusted Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@phoebesnow Welcome to the Wen forum and the wonderful world of Wen!!! Smiley Happy

I love my Wen and I think so very highly of Chaz, so I always feel a bit sad when I say that I his formula recommender is confusing for me. Just now, I went to his site and checked it out once again. I tweaked a few of my options (within reasonable parameters) but, for the most part, their suggestions do not include the formulas that work best for my hair.

I have baby fine, porous hair. -- I've tried most of the formulas except for Wen Men, the Kids CCs, Fall Tuscan Pear, Winter White Citrus and Spring Honey Lilac. So I've figured out what works best on my hair.

Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) is my "go to" first cleanse and The Seasonal of the Moment (or Bamboo Green Tea - BGT) is my second cleanse. I use 613 CC as part of my leave in and, if my hair starts to look damaged, a 613 cleanse bounces in right back into shape. 

With Chaz's formula recommender, when I experimented with various results (within the parameters of my hair type) Lavender (LAV) was always among the top results. LAV frizzes my hair out or leaves it lifeless (crazy contradictory results, I know), but it never works for my hair. In fact, within this forum, LAV seems to be the most problematic CC for people to use (some like it, but a number of people have had problems with it).

Cucumber Aloe (CA) came up a lot as well. Now CA does work well for my hair type but I've read a number of posts from Wenners who have my hair type who felt that it was drying on their hair.

Sweet Almond Mint (SAM) also came up occasionally and it always weighs my hair down. -- To be fair, my results with SAM do not seem to be typical at all. SAM is a universal and it seems to work well for most people.

Pomegranate was the other formula suggested and it works well on my hair.

So, the info above us why I find the formula recommender to be confusing.

___

I'm using my iPhone right now so unfortunately I can't post hot links. There is a great 3-piece 16oz kit that includes Tea Tree, Pomegranate, and Sweet Almond Mint for around $65 I think. These are three universal formulas that work well for most people and it's a great value price. There's also a 16oz SAM & (8) 2oz Classic Variety pack of CCs for $40 that would let her try all 6 of the Classic CCs at a great value price.

i think the Classic formulas are a great place to start and these are two options that are available at excellent values.

Best of Luck!!

-- bebe Smiley Happy

The recommender does OK for me, but could be better. I think for me, part of the problem is that I don't know and can't change how the recommender is prioritizing each of the criteria. For instance, when I indicate I have a very itchy scalp it add TT to my list. But when I click yes I want more volume and body, it immediately pushes LAV to the top and drops off TT. If I were able to prioritize those criteria, the itchy scalp issue is much higher priority to me than volume and body.

As it happens, I don't like the scent of LAV and there are plenty of other formulas that give me good volume and body, so I choose not to use LAV at all. It might be nice if the recommender included the seasonal formulas, at least the ones that are currently available. But I can understand why they don't.

The recommender also ranks CA highly for me because I have oily scalp. I haven't used CA in a year or more, but I recall it being only OK for me. I keep some on hand because I'm planning to try it as a clarifier from time to time. But I don't think I will ever go back to using it regularly.

On the whole, I think the recommender did an OK job pointing me in the right direction (if I were new to WEN). I think people should play with it, reducing some criteria and increasing others to see which formulas it recommends for each criteria and then make your choice based on how you want to prioritize those criteria, rather than letting the recommender weight them equally (or whatever its weighting system is).

Occasional Contributor

@bebe777 said:

I think it's just an issue of the limitations of technology. I was curious to see what others experienced when inputting their info to see how reliable you (we) found it.

As @aprimo said in her reply, it's unclear how any of the given responses is weighted, which I realized as I played around a bit with the sliding scale.

I think that's also why I found it especially nice that Chaz does have staff people who will pop up and chat with you on the website to help with any questions. It's very reassuring to know that he or his people will answer questions by phone and online (I asked two questions during the live chat on the QVC boards 9/5; it was great to get info "straight from the horse's mouth"). And, of course, you gals are an invaluable resource...I've been looking through many of the wen 101 posts and the daily board posts the last month or so.

I'm using my iPhone right now so unfortunately I can't post hot links. There is a great 3-piece 16oz kit that includes Tea Tree, Pomegranate, and Sweet Almond Mint for around $65 I think. These are three universal formulas that work well for most people and it's a great value price. There's also a 16oz SAM & (8) 2oz Classic Variety pack of CCs for $40 that would let her try all 6 of the Classic CCs at a great value price.

Thanks, I've been thinking about the SAM plus the variety pack for me as well, to get a taste of the other formulas I haven't tried yet. I've hit half of them (POM, SAM, and FIG), and since it seems that so many wenners incorporate TT, I've wanted to try that as well.  I think we'll start there with the classics and will tell my mom to try the (computer) recommended BGT later when we've seen the results of the core CCs.

Trusted Contributor

@phoebesnow I think the recommender might be better identified as the explainer! It helps get you oriented, but really only trial and error can help make decisions about performance(s). I just got my mom on Wen too. We started with seasonals, which she found too strongly scented and couldn't get a clean feeling (compliance may have been the issue). She loves the BGT. She is 70 so her needs were different than mine, but both of us have hair that is fragile (although mine is MUCH stronger now). She still has really good hair from taking care of it and using an excellent colorist, but 70 is still a factor. This is a really long way around saying, I don't know your mom's age or her hair condition, but starting with more nourishing formulas may jump start the conversion process, and then make it easier to use other things as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I also can say that even though The Recommender provides a general guideline, still even answering it's questions exactly, can be a bit confusing to me.

Same goes with asking this board for suggestions. Though board members really are helpful, honest and experienced.

Because Wen works in the mysterious ways!

Seeking Recommender's and Board suggestions is all good, but your personal experience with WEN CCs prevails. Even then, your hair might like/dislike something depending on it's current needs and time of year - dryness, cold, heat, moisture, so on...

There are formulas that did NOT come in a Recommender for me, but my hair loves the best!

Only on rear occasions I see Wenners, who stick to one or two formulas, sure a few do. Majority of Wenners use several of their favorite CCs alternating, rotating and mixing them according to their hair needs at the time.

The conclusion for a new user? Try them all!

But in a smart and least expensive way. The month of December will bring the newbies (and oldies) Paradise - the Variety Multi-Scents Kits! In core and hopefully in Seasonal Lines. Price is right and there will be about 10 different formulas for you to experiment with! Yay!

Your Hair is your best Friend and best Recommender - it will tell you the Truth!

Respected Contributor

In my case I feel like the recommender is somewhat accurate. It lists FIG as the best for my hair which is absolutely correct. It lists SAM as "good" and POM as "better". I fee like those two should be switched because SAM seems to give my hair more moisture than POM. My scalp is pretty oily (although nowhere near as bad as when I first started using Wen) and it always surprises me that the recommender never suggests CA. So I would have to agree with others that the recommender should be used as more of a guideline.

Honored Contributor

@phoebesnow wrote:

I began using WEN this summer and have been thrilled so far -- I started with POM CC and have just begun branching out and making the commitment to other products and trying other scents (So thankful for the TSV! I'm loving the oil) to find my best results and favorite combo. I'm definitely looking forward to December and then to some of the seasonals (SHL and SHP sound lovely). But enough about me...

Having seen what wen has done for my hair, I've convinced my mom to give it a try. She tried it once years ago, and you guys know the refrain: she didn't want to repeat, didn't think she needed the amount it said, and, of course, gave up when it "didn't work." She promises to actually follow directions this time!

Her scalp/hair is vastly different from mine -- pretty much polar opposite.  She tried a cleanse with SAM and was impressed, though she understood when I said that a different formula (I was thinking TT) would give her better results and be more helpful for her scalp.

Wanting more than what I could get from the basic descriptions I've heard for the formulas, I remembered that one of you gals suggested going to Chaz's site for the product recommender: chazdean.com/recommender/

Having filled it out for her info, it said:

good - SAM

better - LAV

best - BGT

After playing around a bit more on the site, a chat box popped up asking if I had any questions -- I was thrilled that Chaz's people offer personalized, real time help to visitors! After explaining my mom's specific issues in more detail than that automated questionairre allowed and having a brief discussion with the employee, she recommended TT.

I know that many of you gals mix your CCs for best performance, but I'm just curious as to how accurate you find the product recommender.  Is the "best" product the one you actually use the most?

I'm going to get my mom the TT, but I'm wondering, if the product recommendations are usually good, if her next scent/formula should be BGT.

So, just how good is the computer at determining your CC? Thoughts?

(BTW, when I try it on my own hair, it recommends best as POM, which makes me proud of my initial choice)

@phoebesnow

Love your nick name!  Absolutely beautiful voice!

The P. R.  is 'off' for me, I think due to some health and perhaps dietary issues it can't identify.  Even so, It identifies TT, my GO TO.  in my top 3.  

Welcome, and happy WENNING!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras