WEN

Trusted Contributor

Chaz just updated the routine for curly/wavy hair.

Chaz just posted a new video on FB that says reverse the products for curly/wavy hair. This is supposed to give better definition. I wonder who discovered it? I am going to give it a shot tomorrow and see how it works for me. 

Has anyone tried it this way? Mousse first, styling cream and then leave in. 

#IAmTeamWen
Honored Contributor

Re: Chaz just updated the routine for curly/wavy hair.

@nikki48I don't have that hair, but I have wondered about topping the styling creme with other products even for my almost stick-straight hair.

As it is, I ran out of styling creme a few weeks ago and have been working without it.  No change in results tht I can see, but when I go for my next cut and color, I intend to ask if my stylist sees any difference in my hair.

When I first started with WEN (2009), Chaz touted the CC's as the only thing we needed.  Now, he has as many products as any other line, maybe more, and I'm definitely trying to simplify once again.

Super Contributor

I saw that on Periscope this weekend when he styled a woman with curly hair in a curly style (Loved it because Chaz aways blow dries curly girls when they are at his salon, but she mentioned her husband loves her curls so he styled it that way and it was very cute) 

I had to replay the scope becaue I heard him reverse the directions and I wanted to make sure I heard it right.  I'm going to try this tomorrow on my curls.

Respected Contributor

@nikki48  Thank you for info on video which I just watched.

I only use the cc at the moment   which my daughter gifted me - can you please tell me name of mousse and also styling cream he refers to in video.

Not conversant with his products so would welcome info on correct products he refers to in video to use on my curly hair as I would like to try this method.   Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

No @nikki48, I never did leave-in last.

But I always use a generous amount of leave-in for my porus hair. I get best definition and least 2nd day frizz with either 319 or 613, around 2 full pumps (from 16oz ). Mousse is next.

Since I rarely use heated tools, the SC is more of a whim for me. If I do add it, it's to ends after the mousse or next day to dry hair.

Thanks for the info. I don't 'do' Facebook but I'll look for video on Chaz's website.

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@nikki48I don't have that hair, but I have wondered about topping the styling creme with other products even for my almost stick-straight hair.

As it is, I ran out of styling creme a few weeks ago and have been working without it.  No change in results tht I can see, but when I go for my next cut and color, I intend to ask if my stylist sees any difference in my hair.

When I first started with WEN (2009), Chaz touted the CC's as the only thing we needed.  Now, he has as many products as any other line, maybe more, and I'm definitely trying to simplify once again.

@millieshops, The styling cream helps me with curl seperation but it is primarily used as a heat protectant. 

Yes, when he first started out he did say the CC would replace many of these products, he also said he wouldnt do a hairspray. What I really like about Chaz is he is willing to adapt even his own thinking if his customers want something. I still found myself using gels to define my curls after using my Wen products, this would basically strip the good Wen was doing (even alcohol free gel). The mousse solved that and did it without drying my hair or making it crunchy. The more we ask, the more he makes... check out a few thread with a Wen wish list, lol. We cant get enough. 

I understand attempting to simplify, I guess it comes down to what you want each product to do for you. If you can achieve good results with just CC, I say go for it!

I can get good definition with just CC but I would have to use so much that I dont think it would be cost effective, I already use a lot while cleansing. 

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

@scullychick wrote:

I saw that on Periscope this weekend when he styled a woman with curly hair in a curly style (Loved it because Chaz aways blow dries curly girls when they are at his salon, but she mentioned her husband loves her curls so he styled it that way and it was very cute) 

I had to replay the scope becaue I heard him reverse the directions and I wanted to make sure I heard it right.  I'm going to try this tomorrow on my curls.

@scullychick, I'm behind on my scopes (usually just peek in for a min). I have been working overtime but I use FB to keep up with friends and family so I usually check it out daily. I'll have to watch and see this method in action. 

Let us know the difference for you!

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@nikki48  Thank you for info on video which I just watched.

I only use the cc at the moment   which my daughter gifted me - can you please tell me name of mousse and also styling cream he refers to in video.

Not conversant with his products so would welcome info on correct products he refers to in video to use on my curly hair as I would like to try this method.   Thank you.

@dulwich, the products he showed were from the 319 and 613 lines but I believe any of the Wen mousses would do just as well. Personally I love 319 everything for my curly hair although the Coconut Lime Verbena and Tropical Paradise styling products have been my favorite lately. CLV seems to be pretty moisturizing as is Bamboo Green Tea, so those are my top three mousses (319, BGT, CLV) and I do mix. 319 is simply the fragrance free version of 613 (lemon, rosemary, vanilla). 

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

No @nikki48, I never did leave-in last.

But I always use a generous amount of leave-in for my porus hair. I get best definition and least 2nd day frizz with either 319 or 613, around 2 full pumps (from 16oz ). Mousse is next.

Since I rarely use heated tools, the SC is more of a whim for me. If I do add it, it's to ends after the mousse or next day to dry hair.

Thanks for the info. I don't 'do' Facebook but I'll look for video on Chaz's website.

@x Hedge, I have to say I did learn that squeezing the products in works better than the raking I used to do. This really helps reduce the frizz. I have been lazy with my hair with all of the work I am doing lately so its time for a cleanse/remoist/oil treatment. I am walking around looking more like a Q-Tip instead of a Wen girl, lol. This was perfect timing. 

@scullychicksaid he talked about it on periscope also if you want to check there. 

#IAmTeamWen
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops, I doubt anyone uses all the WEN styling products.

Customers with various hair needs have asked Chaz to extend his product line because they dont want to go outside the WEN brand to deal with their particular hair issues.

If you don't need styling cream as a heat protectant, and get little other benefit from it, you may not need it. I use it more in winter and usually skip it in summer. All hair is different. 

Just use what works best with your hair type and texture, length, and style.