WEN

Regular Contributor

Can I use a DIFF BRAND styling creme w/my WEN CCs?? Wen styling gel is too expensive to use daily!

[ Edited ]

I have been a WEN user since 2012 and LOVE it!! I love the CC, the Volumizing Spray, the oils, and the Styling Creme. I always use the WEN styling creme every time I use the CC. It is a MUST have for me. BUT this year I am spending all summer at the beach, from May to the end of Sept. I will be swimming daily. I plan to NOT blow dry my hair, but rather I will air dry it (unless I am going out). I still need to use the styling creme or some type of gel, or else my hair will get too poofy and wavy. I prefer my hair sleek and straight. When I use the styling creme and air dry my hair, it comes out perfectly straight and smooth as long as I put it in a ponytail while air drying. However, I cannot afford to buy enough styling creme for daily use for 5 MONTHS. 

Has anyone successfully used a DIFF BRAND of styling creme, with their WEN CC regimine? I need some recs for less expensive styling cremes or gels. I will save my WEN styling creme for when I am going out. But for the beach? I just need something to keep the frizz down, without busting my wallet!

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I use a DIFF BRAND styling creme w/my WEN CCs?? Wen styling gel is too expensive to use dail

@Wannabeincali I can't address using a different brand with Wen as I have plenty of SC. But, do check eBay. I've purchased many new and sealed Wen items at deeply discounted prices. Often with free or nominal shipping. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Can I use a DIFF BRAND styling creme w/my WEN CCs?? Wen styling gel is too expensive to use dail

Thanks! I will check there. I am always a bit worried I will end up with fakes when I look for cosmetics, etc on Ebay....  But I will go take a look and see if I can find a reputable highly rated seller for Wen.

THANKS much!!. 

Respected Contributor

You must have very long hair, wnnabeincali.  I have tons of styling creme too but one or two bottles should cover five months.  Hey, are you trying to make us all jealous being at the beach all summer!  LOL!  Just kidding.  I would recommend, if it's feasible for you, to use remoist at least once per week since you'll be swimming alot.  The oils should help too.  I can't air dry or I look like Robert Plant.  My hair gets WAY too poofy.  It just fans out, crazy!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wannabeincali wrote:

I have been a WEN user since 2012 and LOVE it!! I love the CC, the Volumizing Spray, the oils, and the Styling Creme. I always use the WEN styling creme every time I use the CC. It is a MUST have for me. BUT this year I am spending all summer at the beach, from May to the end of Sept. I will be swimming daily. I plan to NOT blow dry my hair, but rather I will air dry it (unless I am going out). I still need to use the styling creme or some type of gel, or else my hair will get too poofy and wavy. I prefer my hair sleek and straight. When I use the styling creme and air dry my hair, it comes out perfectly straight and smooth as long as I put it in a ponytail while air drying. However, I cannot afford to buy enough styling creme for daily use for 5 MONTHS. 

Has anyone successfully used a DIFF BRAND of styling creme, with their WEN CC regimine? I need some recs for less expensive styling cremes or gels. I will save my WEN styling creme for when I am going out. But for the beach? I just need something to keep the frizz down, without busting my wallet!

Thanks!

@Wannabeincali, I havent tried other styling creams but I have used other styling products at times. You can technically use other products with Wen, there is nothing to stop you from doing so. However, I always come back to Wen due to the difference in performance, other products dried my hair or I just didnt like the artifical feel from the products.

If you are going to try gels I would say some can cause flaking when combined with Wen leave in, so you will have to play around to find one that doesnt do so. Dont skip your leave in routine for the purpose of using a gel. It is your last line of defense and helps the gel not dry your hair too much.

I know Chaz has recommended protecting your hair by adding CC before swimming. Have you tried this? If so, did it help with the issue you are facing? I personally stay far away from water when I want to keep my hair straight due to my hairtype. Even getting caught in the rain will bring the curls back.

I do have a tip to help with the "poof" once your hair has gotten wet and starts to dry, dont touch it. This actually makes it more frizzy. From what the girls are saying about the treatment spray maybe spraying it in your wet hair (once rinsed) will help keep the frizz down. I am just experimenting with it today so I cant say anything until my hair dries.

I hope that helps you a bit.

#IAmTeamWen
Regular Contributor

Hi yangyia!

Well, not as glam as ot seems. Lol My daughter lifeguards, and now my son is also. We have a summer home and have usually let the kids stay with their friend's family, and we'd come down on the weekends, but now that they are both in their *ugh!!* mid teens....uhm, no way! Lol We will be down there at my mother in law's summer home with the kids, keeping a close eye. Ha They are not exactly thrilled. Smiley Very Happy

My hair is only a bit past shoulder length, but I do need quite a bit of that styling creme when I air dry, or yeah....POOF city! No way a 4 oz bottle will last me even a month of DAILY use. I will need to apply every time I come out of the water, or I will have frizzzzy hair. 5 mos on 1 bottle or even 2...no way. I only have 1 bottle at the moment. Remoist makes my hair very frizzy if I air dry. I do use it before blowdrying.

Regular Contributor

Hi Nikki48!

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking mor along the line of silicone type gels....similar in feel to the WEN Styling Cream, I think the Wen one DOES have cones in it? But I am not sure how much. I have a lot of silicone type gels (TIGI, etc), but I am worried they are heavy in silicone, and maybe the WEN CC will not be able to remove them?

Yeah, I do not like mixing other brands with WEN CCs, as they do not seem to work well together. Ugh I use oils in my hair and they do keep my hair from getting frizzy, BUT they do not hold back the waves. I want my hair to lay smooth and sleek. The beach humidity will make my hair crazy. 

I am going to see of I can maybe find a NON silicone gel that can hold my hair. Maybe Whole Foods will have somethjng in their natural haircare section? Or maybe Sally's??

Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wannabeincali

Have a wonderful summer at the beach, I'm envious!

I agree about ebay, if you check the seller's history, and look closely at the labels you should be OK.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Drythe!

Update:

I went on Chazdean.com chat and asked of WEN cc could remove silicone or castor oil. She said yes! So, I think I will just use a little bit of castor oil to slick my wet beach hair into a ponytail. I have used castor oil when I want to grow my hair faster, many times. I don't know why I didn't think of it for the beach. It really keeps my hair shiny, frizz free, and straight. I will test it to make sure WEN can cleanse it out. 

Thanks everyone!