WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: Ack! I cut more than 12 inches off my hair

@jaxs mom

Congratulations on your new look!

I know it must be gorgeous, having waves must be a joy (coming from one with STRAIGHT hair) !

Best of all NO MORE POO HAIR!   Wheeeeee!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Hi @jaxs mom, You can always let the new style just be for a few days or weeks & see how it feels. Ya don't have to decide right now. If you think you want it a little shorter only do it if it feels good Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

That's quite a bit to cut off. That takes some nerve. I cut mine several months back but it was only about 5 inches. Loved it, got tired of it, and now I'm growing it out again. Lol. I'm never happy with my hair. 

The nice thing about hair is it will grow back so have fun with it!

Honored Contributor

I cut another inch and half off tonight and I like it better. I thought it was collarbone length in the front before but it was longer, now it actually is collarbone in the front and at the bottom of my neck in the back. I really like it now. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@jaxs mom Wow, I admire your bravery!  I have had roughly the same boring style for decades 😔.  Congratulations on taking that plunge!  As others have stated, you should be using so much less WEN now.  😀

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I said I will cut and donate once my hair is tailbone length (straightened).  I still have a little while to go. I do worry that cutting it will freak me out, lol. 

#IAmTeamWen
Esteemed Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about it today. It's a change but not a change. It's actually long enough that I can still get it up into a french twist. If I push the front back it's long enough that it stays behind my shoulders so from the front it looks like my old long hair style just with more curl and volume with the wieght gone. I don't think my husband is overly thrilled, although he was nice enough to say it looks cute. When I told him I cut it though the first thing he said was Why? LOL. When I showed him the back though he said, wow you really did cut a lot off, it was down to your butt. 

I'm not really sure what to do with it. Maybe I need to cut it a little shorter but I'm afraid to in case I hate it. It just doesn't really seem that different but I know I do not want a super short cut. I don't want a pixie or anything, my daughter has one and I don't want to look like twins. Plus I've had really short hair before. 

@JAXS Mom,

Your instincts are telling you "be careful, and do not just cut more of it off "   .......>>

I believe what you are sayng here is: yes you can notice a change, by the absent of the weight of hair, but the look ( LOOK) is not anything that dramatic that 'others' would notice immediately"-(??)-

I already know you do want a change but not so short that it would be PIXIE short or SO short that you would not be able to -still- have the ability to pull back enough *hair* for a french twist. I would wait and not be in such a hurry making a spur of the moment decision that you MAY regret. 

Idea here: why not buy a few magazines - nothing but different lengths, styles and definitely COMPARE your shape of "face" with an up to date`` in magazine \ model's same features; in example....Is your face round, heart shaped square, long--/no bangs Or do you want bangs? 

I think you over analyzing this and this can wait for a few days. Never become over whelmed by any one look from a style from a beauty board product and come away, thinking this CAN be you. 

If you can, or know of a beauty salon that (may have) provides different wigs that you could try on for the style effect, then I would think about that. 

The reason I've mentioned this, I, myself would never go this drastic, because your husband was not too thrilled with just the 12 inches being cut. I have asked my husband, "what do you think about me having a much shorter style, and he said, yessss- if it the same hair stylist you had before,  ( holding up a photo of this mid neck length)....then go for it, but do NOT let just anyone chop off your hair.

I can wear almost any style, but my hair does 'not' _have the BODY_ as it did ten years ago. Please be careful and think this through. It will take OVER 1 full year ++++ to have your hair all one length again. I send my best that whatever you choose, everyone will not being heard___"I told you so". I know your hair must be quite beautiful and I do understand the change attitude. I am there myself.

NAES

Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about it today. It's a change but not a change. It's actually long enough that I can still get it up into a french twist. If I push the front back it's long enough that it stays behind my shoulders so from the front it looks like my old long hair style just with more curl and volume with the wieght gone. I don't think my husband is overly thrilled, although he was nice enough to say it looks cute. When I told him I cut it though the first thing he said was Why? LOL. When I showed him the back though he said, wow you really did cut a lot off, it was down to your butt. 

I'm not really sure what to do with it. Maybe I need to cut it a little shorter but I'm afraid to in case I hate it. It just doesn't really seem that different but I know I do not want a super short cut. I don't want a pixie or anything, my daughter has one and I don't want to look like twins. Plus I've had really short hair before. 

@JAXS Mom,

Your instincts are telling you "be careful, and do not just cut more of it off "   .......>>

I believe what you are sayng here is: yes you can notice a change, by the absent of the weight of hair, but the look ( LOOK) is not anything that dramatic that 'others' would notice immediately"-(??)-

I already know you do want a change but not so short that it would be PIXIE short or SO short that you would not be able to -still- have the ability to pull back enough *hair* for a french twist. I would wait and not be in such a hurry making a spur of the moment decision that you MAY regret. 

Idea here: why not buy a few magazines - nothing but different lengths, styles and definitely COMPARE your shape of "face" with an up to date`` in magazine \ model's same features; in example....Is your face round, heart shaped square, long--/no bangs Or do you want bangs? 

I think you over analyzing this and this can wait for a few days. Never become over whelmed by any one look from a style from a beauty board product and come away, thinking this CAN be you. 

If you can, or know of a beauty salon that (may have) provides different wigs that you could try on for the style effect, then I would think about that. 

The reason I've mentioned this, I, myself would never go this drastic, because your husband was not too thrilled with just the 12 inches being cut. I have asked my husband, "what do you think about me having a much shorter style, and he said, yessss- if it the same hair stylist you had before,  ( holding up a photo of this mid neck length)....then go for it, but do NOT let just anyone chop off your hair.

I can wear almost any style, but my hair does 'not' _have the BODY_ as it did ten years ago. Please be careful and think this through. It will take OVER 1 full year ++++ to have your hair all one length again. I send my best that whatever you choose, everyone will not being heard___"I told you so". I know your hair must be quite beautiful and I do understand the change attitude. I am there myself.

NAES

When I was I wasn't sure what to do with it, I meant that I was still playing with different ways it can be styled. I guess you posted before reading the rest of the thread,  I already cut another inch and a half off yesterday and I do like it better now that it's a little shorter.

I know how long it takes my hair to grow. At one point I had to shave it all off because chemo had made it so thin. So I know all about how long it takes to get all one length, and I don't like layers on my hair ( my hair is too thick and wavy for layers, it just makes it poofy) so I wouldn't do anything that would require growing out to one length again. 

It's one length now, it's just a little shorter in the back than in the front. I've worn a bob before but this is a long bob with more angle. I decided to try straighening it a little and just bending the ends under and I like it better than with my natural wave. 

Just so you know I'd already done the whole, face shape and looking at styles for a few months now. I have no idea what your comment about being overhwelmed by beauty board products is referring to. I've been using the same hair care line for 3 1/2 years and my decision to cut my hair had nothing to do with beauty products. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@jaxs mom HOW FUN! I'm very impressed with your hair growth and cutting. I hope you enjoy your new look. Plus, you"ve helped someone have a wig!