Valued Contributor

what is the best time to go vist the redwood trees in Cal

are they at the redwood national park or the sqeonia national park. What is the best time to go. in may or September. what airport should I fly into? coming from Chicago.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: what is the best time to go vist the redwood trees in Cal

Sequoia National Park is in central Cal.  Either fly into LA and drive up or fly into San Jose and drive down.

Redwood National Park in Northern Ca. Humboldt County.  Fly into Oakland, San Francisco or San Jose and drive up.

Esteemed Contributor

@tockerman- check out the Muir Woods National Monument.  There are redwoods there and it is closer to San Francisco over in Marin County.

Frequent Contributor

Muir Woods is just north of San Francisco but you a reservation is now required.  Please plan ahead.  They are breathtaking.  

Honored Contributor

@tockerman I have been to the Redwoods in every season; they are beautiful no matter when. However, my favorite time is in Fall. There are less people and it is just a wonderful time of the year for me. I always love the fresh smell of the forest.

Honored Contributor

Muir Woods in Marin, just north of San Francisco, is an excellent place to see Redwoods.  If you  are looking for a camping experience then either Big Redwoods Park, or Sequoia are good.

If you go to Muir Woods, then you will need reservations.  Also, if you are driving, then you will need to get there very early - 7:00 to 7:30 am to find parking.  You can take a Muir Woods tour from San Francisco that will take you to the park and back to SF, which is another option instead of driving.  That also will need a reservation but your hotel can help with that.

The best time to visit this area is September - after Labor Day - into mid-October when we have our Indian Summer and warmest days.  Most places are less crowded at this time of year also.

Honored Contributor

There are different types of redwoods. It sounds like you want to see the giant sequoias?  This time of year is ideal in both Sequioa and Kings Canyon National Parks. 

Respected Contributor

There is really no bad time, though  I personally like Autumn a lot...

Honored Contributor

Roads can be closed into Kings Canyon and Sequioa National Parks at times during the snowfall months.  Or chains could be required.  

If you aren't ready to deal with this (especially if you are driving a rental car), try to visit in the fall, spring, or summer months.  

Honored Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

are they at the redwood national park or the sqeonia national park. What is the best time to go. in may or September. what airport should I fly into? coming from Chicago.

If you visit Muir Woods from November through February, you should be able to also see resting ladybugs en masse as they stay there as part of their migration, @tockerman

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.