Super Contributor

I may not be using the right verbage but bare with me. Has anyone ever gone to Disney World and used a motorized cart?

We are planning a trip in JUne and my knee is really hurting. I have gone to Dr and he said I had torn mencus. Did theraphy. Still hurts alot . When I get up from sitting it hurts bad. It hurts much more than the knee I had replaced last year on the other leg. He does say I have arrthritis bad which comtributes to the pain.

I go back and see him Monday and I hope he can help. OH and he did give me a jell shot did not help.

So if I am in this much pain I think I will need a cart. So how did the cart work out?

Valued Contributor

I recommend getting your knee fixed.  The procedure is simple and in my experience the pain is gone.  Recovery is quick. Then you can enjoy your trip on your own steam.  Best wishes!

Valued Contributor

@crazeredSorry, I missed the arthritis part.  But if you were getting along before the tear then hopefully getting the repair done will get you back to your baseline.

Occasional Contributor

I rented a cart in Disneyland when I got a virus on our trip that caused my feet to get blisters and I could not walk without pain.  On the plus side-you can get on some of the rides with shorter lines using the scooter.  On the down side if it is crowded people seem to have no consideration for scooter users.  I continually had people (old and young) walk right in front of me so that I hardly had time to stop.

In spite of the pros and cons I would do it again if I was in pain with walking.  I would recommend a cart for you as you will be miserable at the end of the day and probably not enjoy your trip.   Even if you start seeing some improvement in symptoms before you go I would recommend using it so as not  to reinjure the area with the excessive walking  required in a theme park.

Honored Contributor

@crazered I guess the scooter would work for you.I would hope that you can get your Knee problems resolved and that you won't need the scooter.I think they can be a pain in the neck too in crowded areas such as theme parks and restaurants.

New Contributor

I rented a motorized scooter about 4 yrs ago when I went to Disneyland and definitely worth it as there is so much walking involved. I would research renting a scooter from an outside source as it will be much cheaper and you will be able to take the scooter right to your room. I'm not sure if the Disney rental will allow you to do this and most likely will not. It was also a far walk to the rental area from the hotel. I'm not sure how Disneyworld handles the rental of scooters. I remember it cost about 50 per day from Disney and 40 or less from outside sources. Hope this is helpful. 

New Contributor

Valued Contributor

Get your torn knee operated on ASAP!  If you do it now, you will be all back by the time of your trip!

I am a Senior and had the same injury in my aerobic class.  I had the repair surgery and was back to doing exercise in 4 weeks at a bit lower level..

Within 6 months I didn't think about my knee at all.

It is outpatient surgery and after a few days I was getting around just fine.

Respected Contributor

If you are staying in one of the Disney hotels, an outside rental company will bring the cart directly to your room.  You keep it for the duration of your stay.  They even have ones with a 'roof' to keep the sun off you.  June will be hot and muggy so the roof is nice..  They probably deliver to other places, but I am most familiar with the Disney resorts because I know folks who do rent.

The Disney scooters are for use in the park only and are a first come first serve.

Honored Contributor

@crazered.  If you have pain in a knee, the use of a cart can make all the difference in your enjoyment of the trip.  I've been on cruises without a scooter and on them with a rented scooter.  I had so much more fun going with the scooter instead of sitting on a bench waiting for others to get back from seeing or doing something fun.  I have my own scooter for use at home so I was familiar with them but you can be an expert in a few minutes of practice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment