Esteemed Contributor

Re: travel to new york during thanksgiving

I wonder what happens at the airports if they see you aren’t staying for at least 14 days? I thought someone said her tickets were cancelled because she wasn’t staying long enough, but I was able to pull up a fare on Orbitz so I don’t know. Not seeing anything on Google.

Not to get all “big brother”, but if you fly or stay in a hotel, they will know you aren’t following proper protocol. Wonder what happens - fine maybe?

And...I’m also from Illinois and bummed that our state is on so many lists. We’re doing so much better than the states around us!
Honored Contributor

Gosh, I may be missing something here!

I live in Western NY.

Michigan & Ohio were just added back onto the list again.

It doesn't mean I have to STAY in OH (or other listed states) for 14 days...it means if I am in a state on the list for MORE than 24 hours...I must quarantine when I return HOME for 14 days.

For those retired or who work from home, this shouldn't be an issue.  However, the unenforceable quidelines are very strict.

You can NOT leave your home except for taking the trash to the curb!  No grocery shopping, appts, work, NOTHING.  Deliveries of goods only.

Esteemed Contributor

If you register at a hotel in NY you must fill out a travel form.

Theoretically, if the staff sees you leave within your quarantine period they can report you to a state hotline.

While NY has levied some fines on travelers, compliance is primarily on the honor system. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@tockerman wrote:

I will be going to new york for thanksgiving to see family. but not sure if it is worth it because they say I have to stay there 14 days because my state is one they want a 14 day quartine? I cannot stay 14 days there. should i not go?

stay home

here in the tri-state rates are going up despite out best efforts ,  

my family lives within 5 miles an I am considering not hosting this year ,  

@jackthebear   My family lives 2 hrs away but are not coming up this yer for Thanksgiving. I am high risk and they are in school, going to work etc so are out and about so a higher rate of exposure even with masks. I live alone and not willing to take the risk. Smiley Sad so sad

Esteemed Contributor

I checked NJ regarding 14 day quarantine recently and my state (SC) is still on the list. I'm guessing NY is the same as well. Guessing I won't make it up there for Christmas to see my grands. Thank goodness for Zoom & Facetime!

Esteemed Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

Fly to Newark and drive in to NY

@evelyner  ... why would you tell anyone to do that????? 👎👎

Respected Contributor

@homedecor... umm- I live in suburb of nyc.. I’m not sure if u watch network news or cable news, but it won’t be back to “ normal” after 11/3...🤔.. lol
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I live in Western NY.

It doesn't mean I have to STAY in OH (or other listed states) for 14 days...it means if I am in a state on the list for MORE than 24 hours...I must quarantine when I return HOME for 14 days.

For those retired or who work from home, this shouldn't be an issue.  However, the unenforceable quidelines are very strict.

You can NOT leave your home except for taking the trash to the curb!  No grocery shopping, appts, work, NOTHING.  Deliveries of goods only.

@RespectLife , I think that depends on whether the state you are going to is also on the quarantine list.

For example, a couple of months ago, I had relatives flying into Ohio from Texas.  Texas was on the Ohio quarantine list and the rule was if you come to Ohio from Texas, you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days,  whether you are coming from Texas to visit or you are a resident of Ohio and coming back to Ohio from Texas.  

So in your instance, if NY was on the Ohio quarantine list, technically once you get to Ohio you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I live in Western NY.

@RespectLife , I think that depends on whether the state you are going to is also on the quarantine list.

For example, a couple of months ago, I had relatives flying into Ohio from Texas.  Texas was on the Ohio quarantine list and the rule was if you come to Ohio from Texas, you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days,  whether you are coming from Texas to visit or you are a resident of Ohio and coming back to Ohio from Texas.  

So in your instance, if NY was on the Ohio quarantine list, technically once you get to Ohio you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days.  

Thank you @Lipstickdiva you worded it better than I.  Some states DO require that but not all.

The tricky part is each state can set their own guidelines and restrictions.

You have to research what your state is doing and what the state you are going to requires if they are different.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tockerman   New York is very tough on their 14 day rule.  You would be subjected to it if you travel there and stay for more than 24 hours.

You didn't mention what state you are from, but your home state could have a similar rule and you might have to quarantine again when you go home.

Of course, things could change by Thanksgiving.

here is NY's info.

0F94D80F-E8A1-4813-9029-7054F29ACC30.jpeg